TKs & Forgiveness

mookie

GC Alumni
(edited)

The settings for punishing TKs have changed on Recrudescence. You have the option to forgive, or take 3% cash. 3% is chump change, but don't abuse this to gain money. Two (2) Three (3) punished TKs will now result in a 3 hour ban. This should get rid of TKers extra fast, but it's now extremely important to not punish accidental TKs.

Edited by mookie

Just for the record... I do not think this is a good idea. Many people will not even think about not punishing a TK, they will just hit the button. How is this thing set up? 2 punished TK's a map? In a row? In an hour? In a 24 hour period? Having 2 punished TK's might be your first 2 TK's. How many bans is this going to result in for regulars and members that really are not doing anything wrong?

I think that having some kind of option is good and like that someone is making changes... but this seems a bit crazy to me.

GC Alumni

I'm not sure if it's per map or per connection, but I assume that it's one of those. So far I've only seen 2 bans this way and I'd say that both were intentional TKs. One of them came right after the TKer typed "witch" in chat at the guy he killed, which was great. Whether 2 is too few will have to be seen; the most important thing is that it stays under what the server is set to kick for, so that TKers get temp banned instead of kicked to come back for more. If it looks like people are punishing to get the money, then maybe the cash option will have to go to a slay or slap instead.

For us regulars it works out just fine. We all seem to be level headed folks that will only punish if necessary. If someone TKs me and apologizes, I always hit forgive.

The thing is, there are constantly greedy 13 year olds that come in and abuse any sort of responsibility they're given. If we give them the opportunity to ban someone, they will jump at the chance. Leave it up to the old system of: Person TKs. Victim complains. Admin bans.

Whoa whoa... the person that has gotten punished twice gets banned not someone that punishes twice, right?
right, and it's per map. jester, i don't think word is gonna get out to the kids that the .gc servers kinda sorta let you maybe ban someone for 3 hours.

i think this is an aid to one of the most common complaints about not enough admins present. there's no indication to the tk'd (not tk'er) that his option will possibly get the tk'er banned. besides, unless mookie found something new in mani, this feature has been in use out west for a while.

GC Alumni

This was already set on Recrudescence, to ban for 100 minutes after 4 punished TKs. The big difference is that the midwest servers have had no punish options configured.

If things are going well on a server, the one thing that will kill it is a TKer in the absence of an admin. The faster someone trying to kill the server can get auto-banned the better to me.

GC Alumni

Here is a true story of one player's entire journey through Recrudescence yesterday. Hopefully this shows a definite upside.

[DC] Some Person *mesin around*<83><STEAM_0:0:8306471>

9:42:43 join CT

9:43:12 check to see if FF is on

9:43:20 get slayed by Mani for spawn attacking

9:43:33 reconnect, join T

9:44:28 get killed by an enemy (m4)

9:45:59 get killed by an enemy (m4)

9:48:10 TK anti`recoiL (para, headshot)

9:48:15 TK Aftertaste (para)

9:48:19 banned for 3 hours

What I do not like is that if you have a horrible nade experience (died with it in your hands and it falls to your feet) and accidentally TK two people. You very likely will get banned for 3 hours. Or if you just happen to have a bad map and have two TK's, you will be banned. I agree that it is nice to get the intentional folks out quickly... I just wonder how often someone that is not TK'n on purpose will get banned.

GC Alumni

Here is a complete rundown of TK punishment options. Whichever of these people are least likely to use for accidental TKs is what we want. I'd like to stay away from the more ridiculous options to keep the server as close as possible to normal CS.

blind by 0..255

slap to # health

take #% cash

freeze

drug

burn for # seconds

slay

time bomb

fire bomb

freeze bomb

beacon

Well it may work out great. I guess I do not know. The take cash option is pretty good, maybe if we make it VERY clear that only intentional TK's should be punished... If it has worked on other servers my concerns seem pretty weak, I admit.

Just to make it clear I do appreciate someone (mook) stepping up to make things better.

GC Alumni
Well it may work out great. I guess I do not know. The take cash option is pretty good, maybe if we make it VERY clear that only intentional TK's should be punished... If it has worked on other servers my concerns seem pretty weak, I admit.

I have no idea if this has worked on other servers.

GC Alumni

People don't seem to be slaying any less than they were taking cash before. Thoughts? I'm inclined to go back to 3% cash and set the TK limit up to 3 just to be safe. 3 bans from it yesterday. I saw one, which I agree with (later changed to permanent after clanmate TKed to retaliate for it). One was a reg, which I'm not clear about. One was for someone TKing Lunk, so I assume Lunk wouldn't slay unless he meant it.

I'd like to see the cash options brought back. 99.9% of my tk's are accidental and i'm still getting slayed for them.. I'd much rather give up some coin, than have to sit the next round. Can we move tk ban up to 3 tk's? I've done 2 tk's on a map, sometimes just happens. 3 is alittle more malicious.

Personally I like the "Freeze" command. It's less of a punishment than a slay, but it still makes the person sit there and think about what they've done. They don't always die either.

Does it still half-bury you in the ground?

Also, I'm glad someone finally took some suggestions to heart and did something about it! :-) We've been lacking in admin coverage (hopefully I'll have the cash to help rectify that problem) and can't always get people booted when they need to be.

So thanks!

:boing::boing: