Team Stacking

Mk5

First, let me be frank. I do not believe wanting to be on the same team as a friend is necessarily a bad idea. However, when you and your friend being on the same team stacks teams, to a point at which one side clearly has a large advantage over the other, things need to change. Stacking teams too often not only reduces the amount of fun one side is having, but it can also result in the depopulation of the server as people leave to go to servers where teams aren't one-sided. In addition to reducing the amount of fun and depopulating the server team stacking also lessens the level of competitiveness because when teams are stacked its near-impossible for the non-stacked team to win (be competitive).

As such, am I the only one getting tired of Franny & Vovik logging into our servers and stacking teams so that they can get huge scores? I see them join the server under alias just so that they can be on the same team without people immediately complaining about them team stacking. When a person does complain they typically ignore it and keep on raking up the points for their "uber" scores.

Granted, Vovik will make an attempt to try and even the teams if a GC, or enough other regulars, complain often enough (or an admin asks); however, I cannot recall the last time Franny switched to even out teams.

Its gotten to the point where if my brother and I are playing on a server Franny & Vovik are on we invariable end up quitting early. This happens either because were helping stack teams by being on the same team as them (i.e. we get no challenge) or were losing horrible because all the "skilled" people are stacking teams (because few others want to try for a challenge).

Added to this, I've noticed the server atmosphere going to the jakes whenever they pull this trick as others of our regulars get fed up with them, ask them to even teams, then leave after they are ignored for a few rounds.

Before I close up, I realize that at one time or another all of us have been a part of team stacking whether intentional or unintentional...it happens. However, it is truly sad when my brother tells me to join a team for the sole reason that two people with unusually high scores are on that team and refusing switch to the other team.

Finally, I remember back when I rejoined there was a server-side script (PTBX?) that was moving people with highest score around if the winning team was a certain number of wins (say 3) above the other team. Whatever happened with that? The only other solution I can think of involves admin intervention to prevent team stacking (from Franny, Vovik and others).

I say..... look at it as a challenge a few good shots on them and they quit before you would? maybe not the greatest solution? I can feel your pain though!

I remember s4h i once asked them if they could split up and was responded with we never play against each other unless there is a third! so then 2 clan members would always play together if a third joined it was always 2 vs 1

vovik and fran do the same if there is a third in their clan then third goes to other side

they are on a public server working together it may seem wrong?; but to me I understand and it doesn't bother me!

my 2 cents

Hes not saying they shouldn't be allowed to work together, just that, typically, when they do work together it causes the teams to be stacked.

I think its a given that we'd all prefer to play with those we consider friends instead of against them. However, this often will lead to imbalances that need to be addressed.

Team stacking was one reason i became an admin... Unfortunately i still can't really do anything about it. I can switch them midway in a map if the teams are too one sided but i wait and see how it turns out before i take action. It just frustrates me more when the people stacking teams leave when they start to lose.

I wish i could just swap people to the other team when they join the easy side at the start of a map... I see it all the time from regulars and gc members on west. But there's really nothing i can do. Admins shouldn't interupt gameplay if it isn't necessary.

Agreed loki.

I tend to let whatever mod we're currently using take care of the egregious team imbalances on west unless its a simple numbers advantage thats easily taken care of by a swap.

i usually just join the stacked team. my anti-1337 skills usually offset any advantage.

we're here to have fun, right? if you spot someone that's here just for an ego/stat boost, i'd say call em on it....as long as you keep it in fun:

"hey fatty, playing from the women's tees today?"

"duke, how would your parole officer feel about you stalking mags?"

"lunk, you and rashad here on the 2 for 1?"

and if it's really that bad and making you quit early, don't forget we've got 3 other servers with a lot of other .gc you may not know. stop in and say hi.

and if it's really really bad, get GC to help you open your own server, install ptbx, and be on your way:

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...showtopic=30857

(it worked like a charm for me)

Yep I wish there was a rule which could let us ban Vovik and Franny, they were both on last night in Recrud and camping on Italy. I said in Admin chat that the hosties would like to go home/ a.k.a. rescue them. He responded I don't care and ended up not even going for them.

Yep I wish there was a rule which could let us ban Vovik and Franny, they were both on last night in Recrud and camping on Italy. I said in Admin chat that the hosties would like to go home/ a.k.a. rescue them. He responded I don't care and ended up not even going for them.

wouldn't that be considered a kickable offense at least?? Keeping the game moving for everyone, and adhereing to the goals of the maps at least??

I'm just curious.

wouldn't that be considered a kickable offense at least?? Keeping the game moving for everyone, and adhereing to the goals of the maps at least??

I'm just curious.

I would say it really depends if he was trying to win or not. If someone camps themself out of any chance to win the round that's bad, but if the defense is dumb enough to wander aimlessly and get picked off then not bothering with the objective starts to become a valid strategy.

Mk5

Immutable doesn't seem to be as much of a problem because PTBX likes to switch the top scorers around a lot to try and even teams in relation to score. Even though it is not always successful at least it gives us a small stopgap to try and prevent this type of behavior.

Correct me if I am wrong but, it seems as though both east servers are not setup the same way as Immutable and the only reason someone gets switched on Recrudescence or Project Mayhem is if the teams are unbalanced in number of people per team.

Would it be possible to setup the east servers the same way that Immutable is setup so that the top scorer gets switched teams more frequently?

I would happily see it installed on Mayhem. I've not played out West a lot, but when I have it's worked well and certainly wouldn't create a problem for me.

I know this isn't a "camping" thread, more around balance, but from what I've seen with those who are keen to boost stats, the following also applies:

There are those who'll sit at spawn (under the reasoning of covering people's backs) until almost all their team-mates are dead and the opposition are down to <50% hp before making a move (whilst it's not at the spawn, Mayhem's pit on Dust 2 must have "Vovik was here ....." scraped into it beyond recognition by now).

I know that on Office for example this is a must, but there are several maps where the "protecting/guarding" team doesn't get to rush as easily and some people still sit at spawn waiting round after round whilst the rest of their team are cut down.

I don't personally have issue with someone's obsession with boosting their stats if that's what makes them happy (as whilst they're fun to look, there's a lot more to being a good CSS player than just your K:D ratio) but as stated above by Allanon, it get's frustrating when 90% of the team are trying to reach an objective (plant bomb, rescue hosties etc.) and round after round someone's doing their own thing in an effort to run up their K:D ratio, it doesn't encourage other pubbers to get into the "team objective" spirit.

I'm not picking on anyone particularly as other people do this, in fact, I'll run off in the opposite direction on occasions in an effort to cover our back, it's just when it happens for 14 rounds on 1 map it gets a bit tedious to watch the same person spend 30 seconds to a minute mopping up the opposition after everyone else on that team is dead purely because they've gone off to do their own thing.

Whilst I agree with Mk5's thoughts on stacking, the above (ignoring objectives/the rest of the team to boost their stats) also happens regularly to the detriment of the game as a whole.

Well I actually like being on the opposite team as them, mainly because if us 3 are on the same team, the map would go quick.

Vovik will switch usually if you ask him, franny wont.

Franny hates me :( and vovik half hates me when franny is around :(

LoL

I've asked Vovik to switch before...he's usually good 'bout it.

That being said, and this is a digression, I would like to make a note on AWP use....

I know it's part of the game...but I was playing on Italy last night...the server was full....a bunch of people saved their money, then one round the terrorists had 5 or 6 AWPs...within 2 rounds the server pop was cut nearly in half.

I'm not saying don't use 'em, I'm saying that perhaps, to keep people from getting irritated that if the Admin notes an excess of AWPs, ask people (in a fun way perhaps) to try something else.

i.e. "You guys going to start your own 'big gun club?' That could be interpreted wrong, you should try something else! :-) "

Stuff like that....

I agree that I would like to see the auto-switcher script thrown in there to keep the teams even. I'm glad people haven't turned this into a whining fest, by the way. Keep it positive! :luxhello: