Coming into work early

ZesteR

Who comes into work early? be honest. I mean early like 15 minutes or more. Enough time to settle in and relax b4 having to start on things that you do at work.

That's me, I come in to absorb what has to be done and what wasnt done the night before.

\Rant: :angry:

I work 11am to 5:30pm. The next shift guy comes in at 5:00pm. He is fat. I mean pear shaped fat. The kind that comes in at 1:30!!!1!!elevenone!! I mean, come on. Okay to be somewhat early.. he even use to come in around 2:30 which was bareable. He comes in.. knowing he doesnt have to do anything but bother me while I'm working (surfing the web until there is a problem) then follows me around like a kid when there is a problem.

We're allowed one free meal per shift we work. I get lunch, he gets dinner.... NOPE he comes in early and spends the 1st 30 minutes eating... (pear shaped, remember?) sits here, bugs me, then I finally leave, and he is walking up for dinner...... Is there anything I could say to my boss that doesnt make me sound like a "tattletail"?

I'm part time, this guy is full-time. He's been doing the same job for 25+ years that I have been doing for 1.5 years. I'm sure he's got some clout on me, but even I am not allowed to eat twice in a shift. I get bad looks if I snag a coffee AND muffin in the morning.

\end Rant

to mr. boss:

"it's starting to take me more and more time to get my usual tasks complete. i have to work around employees that aren't on the clock. since they're not punched in and not doing any work, they're often interfering and distracting me."

Nothing keeps the anoying co-workers away like explosive diareha.

If this guy has been around for 25+ years and isn't running the place, then he's probably an average-to-sub-standard worker who has no right to abuse company policy and/or pester the hard working n00bs.

If anything he's a drain on company funds due to his tenure and periodic raises over his two+ decade employment...plus he probably does less work than you do on a daily basis.

I'd talk to the guy first about the annoyance (nicely at first), if he goes away then you probably wont even think about the meal issue. After that, I'd go to the boss and explain the situation. Sure you may burn a bridge...but did you really want the bridge to begin with?

(On the back-fire side of things, complaining might reveal that he has more pull than you think and he could get you fired. Concider yourself warned.)

Edited by Brillow_Head

okay.. this is what you do.. when he starts to annoy you, just turn to him, stop what your doing, and say, "look... knock it off..."

If he continues, take him by the hair and smash his face into the counter 6 times... not 5.. not 7. once this has been done, you take that extra muffin and coffee... and you do it with pride.

If he continues, take him by the hair and smash his face into the counter 6 times... not 5.. not 7. once this has been done, you take that extra muffin and coffee... and you do it with pride.

Scary thing is, I don't think he is joking....

Try to talk to him and make it seem like he is a "really good guy" and that you cannot get your work done when he is there. Try to get him to agree with a common enemy that is causing you to say these things to him. (economy, bosses, business, customers) By making a common enemy he will not see you telling him off as a bad guy, but a guy that is under pressure.... Basically show sincerity.

I hope I was clear. I had a similar confrontation with a co-worker. But people believed that one day he would bring a sawed off shotgun and "clean house". He was a 280(maybe 350) pound mentally dumb worker that could shake the living crap out of you. (which has happened) And my talk went over fine.

its easy.. when your working and hes distracting you say. "hey bro can you hang out somewhere else i got a lot of work to do and i dont want it to bleed over to tommarow" (politley)

never go to your boss unless he keeps coming and coming.. you dont want to sound like a little bs

:halo:

well my work isnt easily distracted. it's more so when I go on calls (helping a customer with a stuck ticket or issue with a missing ticket) or input something into the system, he's right there... like it's his first day and he's trying to learn as much as possible. half the time i bite my tongue and tell him what im doing.. hoping he gets the hint that he either knows what im doing already or it's complicated i need to think. when im fixing parts.. he doesnt bug me b/c i can close the door to the backroom.

i spoke to him about the coming in early back in June. he said, oh well at Penn (Penn National, where he worked) I came in and it didnt seem to bother anyone. I told him that's b/c you had your own room, here, he doesnt. Lately since we started getting the free meals.. he comes in early to get that meal and another one later when he's working.. ugh his fatness makes me mad... (there really is two guys that are fat that I work with, but the other one doesnt work a lot so I dont see him)

my main concern, i guess, is the two meals per shift, which is wrong. Here at Mohegan Sun at Pocono Downs, there is Horse and Slot betting. Totally separate and it feels like that too. I am a vendor for the horse racing. I work on the betting machines and the system it runs on. I do not get paid by the Mohegans. So they are nice enough to allow us to have that free meal. I dont want this to come back as bad on us, Scientific Games, Inc. Which could cause us to lose the free meal.

In the beginning, the other fat kid ate two meals, we had a paper out saying 1 meal per shift, then he stopped, but now the older fat one is doing it...

maybe I can just place that paper is a few obvious places again.

I can sympathize with coworkers annoying you. My job lately has not had much work for us (which is actually a good thing) and when my coworkers are bored they like to come sit at my desk and talk to me. Since I don't have an office (just a nice big cube) the way it's set up they have to sit behind me...which means that they come look over my should and watch what I'm doing while they talk about whether or not Madonna dated Sandra Burnhart. It's incredibly annoying because it means I can't really do anything but talk to them since there isn't work to do and I'm not just going to browse the web and post on message boards when they're sitting over my shoulder reading.

my only advice is put the paper back up and bring in headphones. If you always have your headphones on (even if you aren't listening to anything) people may feel like they are more annoying when you have to take off your headphones to listen to them (be sure to put them back on as soon as there is a lull in the conversation). It's an underhanded trick but it works without putting yourself in a confrontation.

Ooo, I like that. Ill just have to convert a new dvd to my palm, so I have a fe hours of something to do while he's there.

There is so much about where I work that I can complain about. I cant wait to be done with school.

Who dispenses this free meal? Maybe you could talk to them and get them on your side so they stop giving fatso a second free meal.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, but with multiple employees with individual problems instead of one with lots of problems.

There's one guy who runs our slowest hotel who gets paid twice what I do (yes...fully double). Yes he's been around for years but he's so out of touch with technology and he's really lazy (because he thinks his job is locked, which it pretty much is). I have to watch this guy get paid stupid amounts of money for doing nothing, what's more when I cover his hotel while he takes his month and a half vacation during the summer (I know...) I have to do all his maintenance work because he's too lazy to do it.

Now I have been training a new employee (3rd new employee I've trained this year, my first with the company) who my company decided to put on salary instead of hourly because they realized they could save a buck. You're probably thinking "what's so bad about salary?" well...they expect him to work 60 hours a week, no questions. Also they are paying him half of what they are paying me. (Yep...one guy gets paid 4 times the amount my new employee gets paid...go figure) It costs him 1/4 of his paycheck every month to fill up his car to get all the way downtown for work (they promised him a position closer to his home but keep extending the transfer...) So what does the guy do? He works no more than 8hrs a day (completely unheard of in this business) no matter what and disappears on weekends...I don't blame him, but it burns me directly. So while this has been going on I've had to come in at 5:30-6 am every day since September and end up staying untill at least 5 or 6 at night (on regular days) just to cover all the stuff he didn't bother to do the night before because it was after 8hrs... :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Sounds like you have it easy...

sounds like you dont have it easy..

I'm just looking for help dealing with a employee the proper way, not a competition on who has it worse.

The way the place works.. I have to talk to my boss, he talks to the proper person.. I dont skip my boss and go to higher ppl unless it concerned my boss.

I'd do that if I had more power than him, but he does. He's full time, I'm part-time. I have to go through my boss.. which since we're a vendor, the way I'd go is Boss, Regional Manager, HR (which is in Alphratta, GA)

I really dont want to be a pita.

My dad said to just say, "Boss, If I came in a few hours early b4 I started working, could I go up in the Employee Dining Room to have a meal, then start my shift, and have another meal later that night?"

That's a personal issue man. No need to go to the boss about a 2nd meal. The best thing you can do is just settle it with the guy face to face once again.

If that doesn't work do what I do to annoying coworkers. Make them seem like the greatest people on earth. If he tells you a stupid story or joke tell him he's the man. Anything you can to get on his good side do it. Then when you know him a little better confront him again. Remember to use a more demanding tone to your voice and not a threatening one (there is a difference). This has worked very well for me imo.