Deadlock Open...

Playaa

so waaaay back in the day we used to have these things we called Deadlock Opens (named after the map they were played on...de_deadlock). They were single night tournaments where random teams were chosen from the number of people that signed up. It was a BLAST to do these. The last one we tried got called off the night of because not enough people signed up/showed up.

I would love to plan one maybe a month in advance (I realize that peoples lives are hectic but planning in advance should allow you to be there if you say you are).

Anyway...just trying to gauge how much interest there would be in this. It's a great way to play some Team-based CS for fun. You get to meet and team up with new people and you get a competitive atmosphere (more than random pubbing) that is still fun (not as competitive as CAL or something). The prize for first place will be....JACK SQUAT!...except your pride...

:)

who would be interested?

uh...I'm not even sure if we'd be able to use de_deadlock (was it ever updated to Source?). If we CAN use deadlock, it's special because it's different. :)

It's a great map for teamplay that just never gets played really...

but I figured we'd use a different map this time around...mainly the important part of all this is the group play atmosphere. Nothing like joining up with a bunch of guys you've never teamed with and playing out 3+ matches in one night with them...you form some bonds and that's awesome.

ok, another quick question. Would you be better off doing it on a weeknight or a weekend? Remember, a tournament like this is 3+ matches in one night...it's not something that we'll finish in 2 hours. If you want to play in it you'd have to be able to stick around for the whole thing.

so far it doesn't look like we're drawing enough interest at all to try to hold one...so if this idea excites you...get other people interested!

We've run similar events and they are pretty popular. We haven't had one in a while so this is perfect timing.

Usually, people sign up, 2 captains are assigned and off they go. D2 seems to be the popular choice so to do this on a different map would be cool.

Another event we've held is mortal combat. Everyone's health is dropped to 20-30, which makes smgs and nades very, very popular. Some don't like the fact that nades can wipe out half a team... but that's what real nades do.

The biggest problem is no-shows from people that signed up. I recommend posting a signup sheet with a very short timeframe (signup now for the event that starts in 1-3 days).

Maybe you can co-ord with Iceberge and use Mayhem on a Sat night if he's not planning a custom map event.

what you're talking about is a smaller event than I'd like to do Duke. The last few deadlock opens were like that...2 teams that competed once...but I remember the first couple and we had 4 teams of 6 men that competed in a round robin fashion. I realize that it takes more work to get this done but the fun is sooooo much better.

what you're talking about is a smaller event than I'd like to do Duke. The last few deadlock opens were like that...2 teams that competed once...but I remember the first couple and we had 4 teams of 6 men that competed in a round robin fashion. I realize that it takes more work to get this done but the fun is sooooo much better.

Agreed. See what you can scare up.

so far we've had 8 people say that they'd be interested in doing this...after the last deadlock open and the way people said they be there but bailed because they didn't plan around it...I'm gonna say 8 isn't a very good number when we'd like to have 20+.

i'm guessing a 5 person team?

that's what I'd like to shoot for.

In my opinion, anything less than 5 person teams or less than 4 teams isn't really worth running an event for.

Fatty...hope you get your computer working...what's wrong with it exactly?