new portable internet

Cujo

just thought i'd post a message while sitting in my new hotspot. i have mounted in the trunk a router, portable internet modem and an inverter. will post pics in a few days.

basically, it's 50 bucks a month (Canadian) for 1.5mbit down and 256kbit up. 30gb total cap. ping to the first hop is 22ms so there's almost no latency at least compared to my dsl connection which gives me 8ms to the first hop. speeds are very consistent and i'm in a different city than i live and i'm still connected. it uses the cell networks and is available in various major cities in southern ontario. i'm currently sitting in an applebees parking lot in cambridge, ontario for those interested. i'm waiting for some friends to get here.

Well thats just to darn cool! I can only imagine the car accidents type A personalities will get into now as they drive with their laptops on their laps trying to sqeeze just one more email out before they get home. heh :)

Shaftiel

That seems kinda cool. I wonder although you currently have no latency if that will become a problem as more people are added to the network in the area. Seems kinda new at this point so I doubt that many are on the network currently.

EVDO rocks, when there are not a lot of people sharing it with you. Otherwise it can turn crap real fast. It all depends on your conditions.

I wish my company would offer it, but its quite an investment getting all that data back to the telco switch efficiently. Its recommended two T1's dedicated data per cell site, more would obviously be needed if its more than a single carrier frequency site. We dont have anywhere near enouph capacity coming in, both in terms of fiber coming in, as well as capacity on our DACCS.

Man it sure would be nice though.

/would have free wireless broadband if we did get it..

so....what'd you get from applebees?

lol, we ended up driving to boston pizza instead!

no, ebil, that broadband wireless router is just a high speed modem and wireless router combined. i'm talking about internet provided wirelessly from the isp.

so....what'd you get from applebees?

lol, we ended up driving to boston pizza instead!

no, ebil, that broadband wireless router is just a high speed modem and wireless router combined. i'm talking about internet provided wirelessly from the isp.

Boston Pizza... is that like the brother of Boston Market?