Flying today

ZeroDamage

wear flip flops.... they make you take off your shoes.

or shoes that easily come on and off

Please for the love of everything holy DO NOT WEAR FLIP FLOPS ON A PLANE...seriously it smells bad enough in a pressurized tube 30,000 feet in the air...we don't need people with no shoes on. The whole taking your shoes off thing is usually just after the security check point, lots of airports have a second security check point that just scans your shoes (considering all the factors it's incredibly stupid but people are still freaked out so...)

I would just recommend (depending on the length of your flight) to check everything. Having a carry on these days can bog you down (or vise versa just take a carry on if it's a short trip, and avoid waiting for your baggage claim). Of course the no liquids/gases/gels thing is still in effect but the severity of the rule varies from place to place (like Heathrow will make you put everything in a zip-lock bag for whatever reason...).

That's about it. Be prepared for every flight attendant with a chip on their shoulder to accost you about your cell phone/ipod/laptop...same old song and dance, you can choose to argue about it or just conform, again it depends on the length of your flight.

Going to the can mid-flight and while knocking on the door to the restroom, it is not-advised to say "Comeon!!! I need to drop a bomb!!!"

Also asking that good looking flight attendant if they want to join the mile high club is inadvisable as they will say sure and go and get a member of the staff of the opposite sex and they may never leave you alone.

I have only flown after 9-11 in my lifetime so I can't compare it much.

If you aren't flying out of the country...then there's basically no real hassle...just show up early to get through security, don't have any liquids or gels in your carryon and that's about it.

I've flown to Norway twice within 4 months and Ill be flying over there again next week. All Airports are different, some are anal, some aren't that bad. Some are hectic and some are organized. The airports in the states are almost always hectic and very rude to you. Not all of them make you take your shoes off. I've gone through a few with a sweatshirt, belt and shoes....

You can't carry bottled liquid through security, but if you buy it on the other side of security, you can take it on the plane. You have to pull your laptop out of your carry-on through all security check points, so make it easily accessible. I didn't fly before 9-11, so I dont know what that was like. But really its probably not alot different other the security check points.

I think 'Mo got beaten down in a dark alley by some airline CEOs and left for dead at some point. Seriously, it's not that bad, especially if you only use your cell phones / PDAs / etc. when you are explicitly told you may use them. But yeah, there's a lot of silliness in terms of airline security / safety, just be sure to show up early and be ready to put everything you can (shoes, jackets, bags, etc.) through the scanners and you may be asked to remove your laptop from its case and put it in its own tray. In extreme cases, you may be made to power up the laptop, so be sure it is charged.

They screen checked bas by hand randomly, too, or at least I have seen evidence of this (little notes in your bags). Don't lock your check bags, that's an invitation for them to break the lock and thoroughly toss the contents.

Oh, and yes, they can pretty much go through anything they want, so make DARN sure you are not carrying anything that can be perceived as threatening and be sure to be pleasant to the screeners. Most of them are just doing their job, there really are very few jerks out there who are in it just for kicks, at least in my limited experience. That doesn't mean they won't make your life difficult if you come in there with a chip on your shoulder. It's like working in a restaurant: Most cooks/waiters aren't really about ruining the meal experience for everyone, they're just trying to earn money. Make a donkey out of yourself, and you'd better ask them to hold the spit when you order that burger.

If you have bad sinuses, bring a pack of gum and start chewing on descent. You may want to bring OTC painkillers, too, if you roll that way. You might get a real killer headache, the chewing gum helps a lot.

Oh, and happy flying!

*edit*

Duh, almost forgot, show up early. Always.

Edited by appalachian_fox

Yeah I have flown a few times in the last few years. Key points I have noticed. (1) the less you carry on or in your pockets, the better. (2) waits for security are usually not that bad, but plan to get there a bit early. Many airports have expected wait times on their website. (3) Prepare to have everything you bring checked into, do NOT lock your checked bags! They will not only break the lock but will search the crap out of it. (4) If you have any prescription drugs on you, bring a prescription. (5) Depending on where you go they may have very strict rule about staying in your seat when the plane is anywhere near landing or taking off. Be aware and tinkle before the flight.

wear flip flops.... they make you take off your shoes.

or shoes that easily come on and off

Please for the love of everything holy DO NOT WEAR FLIP FLOPS ON A PLANE...seriously it smells bad enough in a pressurized tube 30,000 feet in the air...we don't need people with no shoes on. The whole taking your shoes off thing is usually just after the security check point, lots of airports have a second security check point that just scans your shoes (considering all the factors it's incredibly stupid but people are still freaked out so...)

lol canadians must have some pretty cheesy feet... :freak3:

I haven't yet had a bad experience flying...though this one time I was in Dallas flying home and we showed up on Monday morning to the Airport and saw one of the strangest sites I'd ever seen. It was 8 a.m. and when you walked in the door you could see the Security Checking about 80 feet away directly across from the front door. However, a line had formed at it and when the line extended past the little guide ropes the line went a little.....crazy. It took us 2 hours to get through this line to the checkin 80 feet from where we started. This line was completely unintentional and just goes to show the herd mentality that human beings can get into and when we get into that mentality we shut the rest of our brain down.

Here is my little mockup (the 4 black circles were concrete pillars).

airportline.jpg