Flitterkill's Temporary Reign o' Terror

1) The atrocity known as Ahebben has been removed.

2) The other alleged atrocity known as Sun Tzu has been removed.

Requests? We are pretty stock at the moment except for Nevermore LE. I put Red Planet back in because it has been forever.

I am also tempted (tempted I say!) to enable map voting for a lark to see what shakes.

Let's have it - whatcha whatcha want? Only a brief time before my reign of terror ends with the return of HW...

-Fk

Hehehe you're having too much fun! I'm pretty sure it goes against GC policies...

Heck, let's add in the voting. I've always preferred weighted voting if it's possible, that way if there's lots of noobs we can still control the next map ;)

Bush must be rubbing off on me, cause I wouldnt mind prime being reinstated. I also wouldnt mind if a community bonus 2 pack map was added, like Valarna or something along those lines. I havent played those maps in forever, and if they suck, hey, dont vote for em ;)

Let's have it - whatcha whatcha want? Only a brief time before my reign of terror ends with the return of HW...

Are you taking non-map requests? If so, I've got one... is there a way to avoid the team stackage? I know, "whine whine whine", but it's a problem. It seems like the majority of the time, I see at least 3 more GC on one side than the other. Perhaps they all have their default team side set from prior TWL matches, and forgot to take them off? Hey, maybe that's it... could you disable the preferred team option in pub games?

Yeah, right now I've got mine set up to:

Preferred team: winning one

So far it's worked like a charm ;)

Usually if my team totally blows the other out of the water I switch after the round to try to even it out. Then, if my new team somehow pulls off a win I'm told I'm a cheater and team switcher and I should be ashamed of myself. It's usually not bad for that on Nepenthe, but it happens lots on other servers, like SCK. Since when does GC mean > all other players? I'm very used to consistently playing against bush, wentz, and lex all at the same time.

Yeah, right now I've got mine set up to:

Preferred team: winning one

So far it's worked like a charm ;)

BUSTED!

Usually if my team totally blows the other out of the water I switch after the round to try to even it out. Then, if my new team somehow pulls off a win I'm told I'm a cheater and team switcher and I should be ashamed of myself. It's usually not bad for that on Nepenthe, but it happens lots on other servers, like SCK.

Really? I've never gotten that before... I'm usually thanked for switching. But then, you're way better than me. :)

Since when does GC mean > all other players?

Pub people =/= clanners. Sometimes you get someone aliasing, but as a general rule, GC players > random public.

I'm very used to consistently playing against bush, wentz, and lex all at the same time.

Do you have other GC on your side? Or are you the only GC on one side, and those three on the other?

On a side note, a guy that goes by the name "Oopsie" told me to tell ya 'hi'.

Usually if my team totally blows the other out of the water I switch after the round to try to even it out. Then, if my new team somehow pulls off a win I'm told I'm a cheater and team switcher and I should be ashamed of myself. It's usually not bad for that on Nepenthe, but it happens lots on other servers, like SCK.

Really? I've never gotten that before... I'm usually thanked for switching. But then, you're way better than me. :)

I'm very used to consistently playing against bush, wentz, and lex all at the same time.

Do you have other GC on your side? Or are you the only GC on one side, and those three on the other?

On a side note, a guy that goes by the name "Oopsie" told me to tell ya 'hi'.

1 - pfffft you kill me consitently! You're freaking hard to hit and even harder to kill if i do manage to get a hit in before my health drops BELOW 0

2 - I usually have a couple GC's on my side, but who's better than that combination? not me... Hehehe, but tbh I love the challenge. Unless they're just spawn camping, that's just mean.

3 - I have no idea who oopsie is :shrug03: But you can tell him/her where to go... and that is to go to nepenthe when i'm there and tell me who they are :)

Are you taking non-map requests? If so, I've got one... is there a way to avoid the team stackage? I know, "whine whine whine", but it's a problem. It seems like the majority of the time, I see at least 3 more GC on one side than the other. Perhaps they all have their default team side set from prior TWL matches, and forgot to take them off? Hey, maybe that's it... could you disable the preferred team option in pub games?

Unclean...they stack against me too.

=)

I request ONS-sandcrack

ONS-alien

and any others that really tinkle people off.

Actually, I suggest we do map voting too...lotsa fun!

GC Board Member
but as a general rule, GC players > random public.

Yes but you are assuming what our server population is after not regularly playing on our servers in a very long time. This, in a general sense, is why I cut you off a week or two ago regarding the in-game discussion of this stuff (not to mention you know better to do that in-game) - let's kick this out:

1) There are *MANY* good players who roll through here who are aliasing all the time.

2) The fact that you are just getting back into the swing of things here on our boxen means that you might not recognize the aliasing clan players *or* the new regs who are good as well (or even better than us for that matter).

3) This means that if one pub-guy sees a few more GC tags on one side and starts blithering about "balance" that does not mean the match is actually out of balance. That also means that if *you* see a few more GC on one side than the other, you should not whine. GC "stackage" might actually be to balance things out - but again, you have to know the players - and you've been away for awhile...

4) Under 8 players = almost impossible to achieve meaningful balance without going insane - which is to say it makes more sense to just get the round over with and hope for better next time. When bots are out of the mix, it is easier to actually be able to do the spec/join dance without things going wacky - otherwise one could spend much of the match trying to get the teams balanced only to end up repeatedly with human-wise 3v1 or 4vBots - Nature of the UT2K4 beast.

5) We still, naturally, try to balance sides out - at least with GC folks - that has never changed. What may have changed since you've been away is that GC may have more tolerance for playing on the *weaker* side (except Tek :) ). That is to say, GC may not think to ask for change unless teams are very unbalanced - as opposed to a little unbalanced - and then you have the join/spec/rejoin dance sometimes which removes most of the fun, etc.

6) Unless some of our newer joins have team pref set to a color, all older GC have defaults at no-pref. New kids: check your settings and go to non-pref if not already.

7) BW, Dark, Wentz, HWarrior on one side. Cannon, Tek, Lex, Dingy on the other. Balanced? GC is evenly split per side... If one from the first group jumps over to the second now its 3 v 5 GC-wise, and the folks with only 3 GC who don't have a clue start whining about the stacking - hooray!

(Side note - feel free to kill me cannon, Tek, Lex, Dingy - had to put someone in that group :) )

8) SCK has the same problems minus the UAdminMod teams command such that they have to beg sometimes when people bail to even even up the sides on a number basis. We do what we can, when we can, with no whining.

9) Shambler over at Titan 32p UK is alpha/beta with a "real" team balancer that keeps a database on some of the stats on matches played on a server - w/l record, epo, etc. of players. Once a player has enough info (need a bunch of matches before it works in any real sense) the mutator will balance teams *at match start* based on skill for the players it has info on. I'm keeping an eye on it if/when he gets this locked down *and* it becomes a whitelisted mut.

Naturally, all these problems go away with the release of UT3... :twitch:

-Fk

Wow, you just need 1 more and you have the 10 commandments, flitter style!

Sometimes dutch is on, and he's an alias as a V3X player I do believe. He always kicks my butt! And about SCK having to beg about evening teams, you're totally right Flitter. And it drives me bananas.

dark: "Teams please"

idiot: "But you're winning!"

dark: "we wont be in 2 minutes, you have 3 more guys than us..."

< opposite team takes all nodes >

dark: "Teams please..."

< no one switches because no one likes to lose >

***there are a few who, when playing, switch immediately. I love those guys***

Map voting was gonna be my first nep change when I got back. I think it is a good way to liven things up. Also with SCK looking for funds for their server, adding map vote may help keep Nep good and busy (fill that niche).

Ok, back to my vacation. BTW, if anyone is looking for a good camera. Canon S3 IS is sweet! (12x optical for $300).

Whoa... in comes Flitter with a 3 page post. :) You said a lot, hopefully I can hit the main points you made. (Some seem to run into eachother)

1. I'm aware that people alias, and they can be better than GC. That was around when I was still a reg. One or two people aliasing almost never will be able to stand up against 3+ GC who are used to playing with eachother, know how other GC think, running strats, etc. It's like Marines going up against civilians and a mercenary or two. Will the civies and mercs win? Most likely not. That's stackage to me.

b] I appreciate what you do to keep the server running smoothly, but I don't appreciate your tone. Words like "blithering", "whining", etc don't exactly show respect (imo).

thirdly, thanks for keeping an eye on that team balancer plugin over at Titan.

IV) I know it's tough to keep teams even. All I'm asking is for more GC members to be aware that you can steamroll most pub teams, so please do what you can to make sure that doesn't happen. :)

I was distracted by your bullet choices. 1., b], thirdly, IV). Make up your mind heh :)

cinco} I'm running out of bullet choices. Anyone have ideas?

#6- Dark, PubHeroes, you say? Bring 'em on! :)

Well, I upgraded (or downgraded perhaps) to Vista, so I need to find my disks again for UT so I can install it again. Finding them is the hard part, I'll probably just end up buying it again heh :).

Shaftiel

(Side note - feel free to kill me cannon, Tek, Lex, Dingy - had to put someone in that group :) )

-Fk

Pfft. Whatever. I'd love to kill you if you'd just stand still (or more than I HAVE managed in the past).

Having been around long enough you just have to take what you get. What ever happened to sportsmanship? After all, everyone deserves

to get slapped into the middle of next week sometimes. And I thank all of you who have done it to me :) And sometimes it even happens

when you are on a "stacked" team.

As to team balancing - the one thing that gets me going is the same person who enters and leaves continually because they are on

the "loosing" team. That ranks right up there with those that switch teams in the middle of a game/match. Maybe we should try the

auto balancing - after all, it would be interesting to see who starts whining first.

Also, remember teamwork - and the fact that we all have some maps that we excel at more than others.

As to the spawn camping - I'm sorry if I just happen to park a tank in certain areas. Remember, you'd do the same if it was your turn.

But the fun is when you see someone who belongs in a flying vehicle wreak havoc in a tank. And of course, I eventually die.

UT2K4 IS fun. We just have to remember the sportsmanship side - 'specially when less expereienced players are playing. After

all, we were all that way once, right? Personally I feel that the whining doesn't have a place, but the bottom line is people whine.

And I gladly accept where the server puts me! :)

But of course, we'll all be noobs with UTK3. Something to keep in mind.

BTW - these are my opinions only... and sorry I've missed you guys for the last couple weeks. Spent some time in San Antonio, came back

and had to rip apart a shower that was leaking into the laundry room....

I was distracted by your bullet choices. 1., b], thirdly, IV). Make up your mind heh :)

cinco} I'm running out of bullet choices. Anyone have ideas?

#6- Dark, PubHeroes, you say? Bring 'em on! :)

Rejoin and I promise to ask them for a scrim! Heck, rejoin and I'll ask Wentz to challenge them!

Shaft: get a move on it! :D

Dingy - I've missed playing with you, but fixing leaky showers > UT! And I can remember back to the days where I thought guys were cheating because they could double dodge AND jump midair! :D :D :D They could move faster than me! (lol Cannon)

but as a general rule, GC players > random public.

Yes but you are assuming what our server population is after not regularly playing on our servers in a very long time. This, in a general sense, is why I cut you off a week or two ago regarding the in-game discussion of this stuff (not to mention you know better to do that in-game) - let's kick this out:

1) There are *MANY* good players who roll through here who are aliasing all the time.

2) The fact that you are just getting back into the swing of things here on our boxen means that you might not recognize the aliasing clan players *or* the new regs who are good as well (or even better than us for that matter).

3) This means that if one pub-guy sees a few more GC tags on one side and starts blithering about "balance" that does not mean the match is actually out of balance. That also means that if *you* see a few more GC on one side than the other, you should not whine. GC "stackage" might actually be to balance things out - but again, you have to know the players - and you've been away for awhile...

4) Under 8 players = almost impossible to achieve meaningful balance without going insane - which is to say it makes more sense to just get the round over with and hope for better next time. When bots are out of the mix, it is easier to actually be able to do the spec/join dance without things going wacky - otherwise one could spend much of the match trying to get the teams balanced only to end up repeatedly with human-wise 3v1 or 4vBots - Nature of the UT2K4 beast.

5) We still, naturally, try to balance sides out - at least with GC folks - that has never changed. What may have changed since you've been away is that GC may have more tolerance for playing on the *weaker* side (except Tek :) ). That is to say, GC may not think to ask for change unless teams are very unbalanced - as opposed to a little unbalanced - and then you have the join/spec/rejoin dance sometimes which removes most of the fun, etc.

6) Unless some of our newer joins have team pref set to a color, all older GC have defaults at no-pref. New kids: check your settings and go to non-pref if not already.

7) BW, Dark, Wentz, HWarrior on one side. Cannon, Tek, Lex, Dingy on the other. Balanced? GC is evenly split per side... If one from the first group jumps over to the second now its 3 v 5 GC-wise, and the folks with only 3 GC who don't have a clue start whining about the stacking - hooray!

8) SCK has the same problems minus the UAdminMod teams command such that they have to beg sometimes when people bail to even even up the sides on a number basis. We do what we can, when we can, with no whining.

9) Shambler over at Titan 32p UK is alpha/beta with a "real" team balancer that keeps a database on some of the stats on matches played on a server - w/l record, epo, etc. of players. Once a player has enough info (need a bunch of matches before it works in any real sense) the mutator will balance teams *at match start* based on skill for the players it has info on. I'm keeping an eye on it if/when he gets this locked down *and* it becomes a whitelisted mut.

Naturally, all these problems go away with the release of UT3... :twitch:

-Fk

Wow

Flitter = lawyer? Forget the University bro. and go pro!

Very organized and well thought out...I would say that having been here as a GC clanner for 1 year and a pubber for about 2 that we do a pretty good job of TRYING to even things out.

You will see FK and other switching to help out if really unbalanced etc...but usually NOT for the reason that Unclean mentioned "Stacking"

Unclean,

I cannot tell you the number of times that I join with like 4 or 5 ppl on and it is 3 GC clanners against me, some lamer (wait, isn't that me too?) and some bots...

We get owned...and nobody switches...For a while, I thought "FTW...way to pad your stats guys..."

Then I realized that the PEOPLE that were behind those bright moving images on the screen were not vindictive "win-at-all-costs" kind of guys. They were cool, down to earth, players who play...that's about it. There was really no agenda or attitude or chicanery going on...just play.

Which, is why I'm so mad most of the time...cuz these guys are "playing" and I'm serious as a heart attack and they still kill me...over and over and over...

Well, for almost 2 weeks b/c of RL and internet probs...I cannot play with them, and then I realize that more important than the win or loss or stacked or whatever is just playing...

play

Unclean, you are a good player and that puts you ahead of more than 75% (random, but meaningful) of the rest of pubbers...plus...we like you.

That is more than I can say for a certain Killer of Flitters or an unnamed Canadian...

It seems to me like you could solve your problems by just re-joining GC!