So I finally got all my new parts....

... I am putting it all together. I get everything together. Boot it up to my Vista DVD to install it. It hangs and takes forever to do anything. I try again with a different DVD; same thing happens. It so turns out that the Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus does not like to install from PATA/EIDE Optical drives. looks like I need to purchase a SATA drive at the moment and the earliest I will see one is Monday since none of the crackpot stores around here carry any such thing.

How interesting. I switched drives and it still would not install. It hangs on every screen when the Vista install screen comes up. So I try to install XP and BAMMO! It is working ok. I am guessing it has something to do with Vista being a DVD. I am ordering a SATA DVD drive for cheap use in the system and an additional case fan to help pull in some air since the heatsink on the mobo is really hot.

I am honestly thinking I got a bad mobo right now. I've never been a big fan of Asus and this brings me back as to why. Every time I reboot this machine it will not actually restart. My screen just goes blank and that is the end of it. I am beyond irritated with this thing right now.

It sounds like you've got it narrowed down, but have you just tried to wait it out? I installed vista last night on a brand new PC, and after the initial loading screen, it appeared to be frozen. After several attempts I decided to wait it out, and 5 minutes later it started installing normally.

Just a thought.

It sounds like you've got it narrowed down, but have you just tried to wait it out? I installed vista last night on a brand new PC, and after the initial loading screen, it appeared to be frozen. After several attempts I decided to wait it out, and 5 minutes later it started installing normally.

Just a thought.

It seems to be installing now after some screwing around with the BIOS. I am not sure which setting did it... I am wondering if maybe the memory is the problem. The first couple of times I tried to install Vista I would get an error that the setup files could not be copied.

Vista is now installed but Source will not run in any way shape or form. It starts then just go crazy with blocks all over the place and etc. I am able to get TFC to run as well as Pain Killer. HL2 and all source game will not run. I just wanted to see what sort of framerates I would get.

THe board will still fail to reboot no matter how I reboot. Whether it be a bios change or an Vista reboot or even an alt-ctr-del it will fail to reboot every single time. I am so frackin frustrated right now.

(edited)

ya. my experiences with this new board started off horribly. i'm more satisfied with it now though. nothing will ever compare to my nf7-s and dfi nf4 ultra-d. those are probably the two best boards i will ever own.

when i first tried to install vista on this machine it would not read the dvd. i've since updated the dvd drive firmware and it reads it fine. very strange problem.

as for the css issue. i have to say i've never had any problems running the game on vista even back to the beta days. i think ati is still way ahead of nvidia in vista driver dev.

Edited by Cujo

Every time I reboot this machine it will not actually restart. My screen just goes blank and that is the end of it. I am beyond irritated with this thing right now.

You have the Power and Reset leads backwards ROFL!!!! (sorry...I just thought that was hilarious, not actually your problem I'm sure but fits your symptom)

Every time I reboot this machine it will not actually restart. My screen just goes blank and that is the end of it. I am beyond irritated with this thing right now.

You have the Power and Reset leads backwards ROFL!!!! (sorry...I just thought that was hilarious, not actually your problem I'm sure but fits your symptom)

Man I wish it were that simple.

This thing will not even over clock. I think it is a BIOS/Board problem now, for serial. Going to put in an RMA request today.

I got it stable now. It seems the automatic voltage settings go too high and were causing heat problems. When I set them as they should be, stability became a norm. There is still an issue with Source games running. I am completely reinstalling Steam (I've always been able to transfer the program folder before and it work fine). I am hoping the reinstall will fix the prob. Thankfully I backed up my configs.

Oh yeah, my FSB is set to 1330 and my CPU is right now at 2.6 versus the stock 2.13. Will go higher at a later date.

if you're having heat issues then check your heatsink mounting. auto voltage set mine cpu to 1.5 but even at full load i'm only at 52c in core temp at 3.2ghz. these cpus should handle well into the 60s. when i took the heatsink off my 4300 i discovered that the contact patch was horrible and that's probably why i couldn't do much above 2.88 with that cpu. i bet it could go a lot higher now but i'm satisfied with my e6600 at 3.2

Yeah, the first thing I always do is remove the patch and lap the heatsink. It just did not stay on properly the first time but now it is good.

I just did a reinstall of steam and css and still not playable. Going with xp tonight. I best never again hear about how crappy ATI's drivers are and how great Nvidia's are when they can't get basic 32-bit Vista support right after all these months. This is idiotic. I've been looking at benchmarks and Nvidia loses 50% of their performance with their current drivers.

what heatsink/case did you get?

I dont get why you guys get heat issues with the c2d's, when i built both of mine, i would not idle over 29c and load over 39c-41c when overclocked

My cpu peaks around 48 @ 3.4ghz (1511x9) with the Tt Big Typhoon (with the stock fan on it). My setup is almost identical to cujo's for that stuff, since I have the same case, a second fan in the front, etc. I think my voltage is at 1.4 I think. Maybe even 1.385 or whatever it is. Yeah, I think that's it.

I'm WAAAY too lazy to check how the HS is connected right now :)

(edited)

zd, i've said that about the drivers several times on here. i can only imagine how frustrating it is for you. also, remember that hl2 is ati's game. if source is your primary game ati cards will always be best.

dark, looks like your cpu is a fair bit better than mine. i'm not stable at 3.2 and 1.4v. i have it set to auto which is giving it about 1.5. hmm, maybe mine isn't mounted the best since the heatpipes barely get warm at 50c. i'm sure yours get warm on full load.

Edited by Cujo

(edited)

Ok, thanks for the info Cujo, good to know. I forgot we had different processors.

Oh, out of curiosity I just checked my heatpipes. I know I'm not under load at all, coretemp reads at about 38c and my heatpipes are barely warm. Sounds like everying is normal.

ZD: If you cant find anyone to give your card(s) away to, pm me and I'll give you my addy. I'll even pay shipping! :)

Edited by DarkArchon

(edited)

I'm just going to install XP on my other hard drive tonight and use that for source gaming. It just tinklees me off to no end that Nvidia has not gotten this right after all this time. And the thing is, this issue seems to be rare among the number of problems that Vista and Nvidia card users are getting. A lot of people are getting the BSOD's more than anything and the fog/texture issue with the 8800's. I am tempted to put my old ATI card back into the system just out of curiosity to see how it handles source with a fresh install and a better overall system.

Oh yeah, my case is the new Antec P182SE case. I have a new case fan on order and right now the temps are fairly normal depending on the temp in my room at idle and are within normal while at load. There is a slot for air intake in the front of the case that could be used since the 8800 is too long to use the hard drive bay there. I am using the one at the bottom with the PSU.

Edited by ZeroDamage