Need expert advice

TheGeek

Okay here is my dilemma. I got an oil change and on the way home my oil pressure gauge went to 0 :o

I pulled over and checked under the car and there was oil EVERYWHERE. So I called up valvoline all ticked off and got a guy to drive to my house and check if they screwed up. The guy realized that the oil filter and oil pan screw are fine. He tried looking for the leak and then made a suggestion and left.

You see, my car started a loud clicking / clunking sound about 2 weeks ago. I thought it was a bearing from the power steering or alternator. The guy suggested that it was the oil pump (since my oil pressure is holding at 0) and said that a filter grid must be clogged and the clunking is the pumps inability to pump enough oil.

I found a case on allexpets .com

I think this is the problem with my car.

SO! here is my question.

It will cost around 200 bucks to replace. Is it worth it to spend 200 bucks on a car that is not worth 50? or should I go car-less for a while until I get a car loan and get a new car? If I have to rent a car, its around 30 to 50 bucks a day.

Opinions?

Why was there oil all over? I don't think a clogged pump would spray oil all over the place.

Thats what confused me, an oil pump is inside the oil pan, and that expert advice website and the guy said that it can leak oil if it goes out. :unsure: And it is now.

What I'm trying to figure out, is it worth it?

Do you need a car?

-No: Don't fix it, don't buy a car. Keep saving and looking.

-Yes: Are you ready to buy a car in the next week?

---Yes: No, don't fix it. Buy a new car.

---No: Can you borrow a car for the near future that will cost less than $200?

-----Yes: Borrow the car. Don't fix the current one. Step up your efforts regarding buying a new car to minimize costs.

-----No: Fix it. You need a car and it's going to cost you more to borrow a car for the near future. Keep saving.

(edited)
Did you check the oil filter too? Perhaps the old gasket was left on, 2 gaskets = leak.

After you added oil and started the engine was the pressure still at zero? You should also be able to see where it is leaking from.

When the guy came out I specifically asked that he check that. The oil came out around the place of the oil filter, but its not the mounting and its not the double seals.

Do you need a car?

-No: Don't fix it, don't buy a car. Keep saving and looking.

-Yes: Are you ready to buy a car in the next week?

---Yes: No, don't fix it. Buy a new car.

---No: Can you borrow a car for the near future that will cost less than $200?

-----Yes: Borrow the car. Don't fix the current one. Step up your efforts regarding buying a new car to minimize costs.

-----No: Fix it. You need a car and it's going to cost you more to borrow a car for the near future. Keep saving.

Those are all things I thought of. My new job starts on Monday, which I have to drive to Minneapolis (50 miles away). I found a place where I can rent a cheap car for 25 bucks a day. So that gives me 8 days with that car = the amount of money it will take me to repair my car and use it for more than 8 days.

A bank is going to call me back either today or tomorrow and see what I am able to get from a loan.

Ive been looking at:

Cavaliers

Stratus / Breeze / Cirrus's

Protege's

Edited by TheGeek

Go with the protege

Chrystler stuff can have issues (Slaughter has a Stratus that has treated him well, but he's had to have some non-minor things done and serious rust issues with the hood if you let it go)

That being said, there are other cars you should consider...namely Subaru's. They're re-sale value isn't as high as Toyota's (you can get one cheaper) and they will run every bit as long

that being said: I got my car loan through Capital One Auto Finance which gave me a better rate than everyone...hands down. It's worth checking out...I'd post the link...but just type it in Google..I'm tired. E-Loans are good too, but they're pickier. THESE RATES BLEW THE BANKS AWAY.

Also, consider older Grand Prix's. They need a few repairs here and there (namely brakes) but the 3.8L V6 from GM will run forever.

Hope that helps! I just went through a loan process and did TONS of research, so if you want any advice, feel free to PM me or post up here. Good luck man! But you don't want to be stuck in a rental for 2 weeks. My advice is if you can't get the car in 4 or 5 days, repair yours and tell them you have a fresh head gasket (my personal theory) or whatever you have replaced. You can usually talk them into adding the value of that to the trade (if you're good) :-)

It sounds like you are digging yourself into a hole.

Your job is 50 miles away (100 miles round trip)? Unless they are paying you an above average wage you might want to reevaluate this situation and find a job closer to home.

Even if you repair your existing car for $200 or buy another car for $200-$500, I guarantee you will have additional major expenses traveling that far every day (26,000 miles a year). You need to take that into consideration.

Annualized costs of:

the car

fuel

insurance

repairs

tires

vs.

pay

Our delivery drivers get sucked into a similar situation. They are paid $750 a week (sounds good) to deliver pharmaceuticals, but they must supply their own vehicles, fuel, etc. By the time it all shakes out, they make $50 a day, $300/wk. They work around 50 hrs a week...you do the math. They could go to Lowe's or Walmart and make more.

If you're hellbent to buy, foreign (relatively speaking) is the way to go. I've given up on the quality of the Big 3...er old Big 3. In talking with all of the commuters I know, Toyota, Honda and Nissan seem to be the most bullet proof. All have their cons, but that magic line in the sand where chronic problems start creeping up seems to be well past 100,000 for these cars vs the 75,000 for GM, Dodge, Ford.

I know quite a few people that own entryline Acuras with 175,000+ on them and have no complaints.

** Capital One Auto Loan**

That's hands down the best place to get a loan from. If you don't have your loan through them, go refinance your existing loan through them ($50 fee to do so). Good advice, Maverick!

If you're looking for a new car, ask around and see if any of your friends are selling anything. I got my car for $200 2 years ago and it's been fine every since. I've taken a new perspective on Japanesse cars and my next car will most likely be a japanesse model. I find them reliable, My family has had many cars from man companies and all our problems were always with American made cars (no offence to you guys).

if you're gonna buy an "american" car, never buy a Chrysler.

Seriously though...just buy a japanese car if you want a nice affordable used car to get you around forever.

Honda: $650 - $750 MAINTENANCE cost at 65k to 75k miles...that's maintenance mind you, and a ONE time expense.

My cheap sunfire: Total maintenance cost at 108k miles: $345 (excluding oil changes and including repairs)

If you're going to buy a Japanese car, they're not all fantastic. Really, they aren't. You STILL have to be careful, and you have to realize that every time something DOES go wrong, you will pay at least twice as much to repair it.

Case in Point: Windshield wiper fluid reservoir for a 2002 Toyota Previa - $750 with installation (granted this was from a dealer) Reservoir for a Oldsmobile Cutlass - around $100 with install

Of course, not all parts and repairs are that extreme a difference, but it IS something to keep in mind. My parents have bought Toyota and Honda since I was a little kid, and every single one of them has been in the shop at least once, and with each car the total maintenance costs were more than total maintenance on my Sunfire combined.

Sure, my Sunfire was in the shop 'bout 4 times (didn't break down once though) vs. twice with at the most with the other cars, but the costs were a WHOLE lot less.

I'd show you the ratings from J.D. Power, but their website sucks...anyway, the Grand Prix I bought ranked higher (by half a circle) in Overall Quality than my Dad's Honda Accord....

It's just some food for thougt. Buy Japanese if you like the cars better, but my thoughts on it are this: buy Japanese new or nearly new...buying used ones can be a bit problem

With the commute, you need to be looking at a newer car if possible though. Duke is very very right....

Edit: I just got the stupid JD Power website to work, and the scores are basically the same. The GP got higher Manufacturing Quality by half a circle, and the Accord got higher Design quality by half a circle....but anyway, you see what I mean. American cars have stepped up in VERY recent years (they've had to), and while you still have to be more careful picking one out than you would be with a Japanese car, they're one heck of a lot less money to maintain. I can even dig up receipts for proof if you'd like. By the way, if you buy Chrysler, stick to Jeeps...they have Toyota transmissions in 'em (at least they used to). Chrysler's one fall-back has usually been their transmissions. Still, their scores on Consumer Reports and JD power aren't as good as some of GM's cars, and about equal on others. Supposedly the quality has gone up since the Daimler merger.

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

If this was the only problem with my car I would just repair it. But the suspension, transmission, coolant system, tires, body, sound system, engine mounts, front end alignment, and window needs replacement. The car is a 93 and it has 264,000 on it. I need another used car.

My new job pays 11.50 an hour, my target job pays 6.50 per hour. With my current job with target I am making enough money to save 25 dollars every month. Its not enough with working 30-40 hours per week.

The new job pays that 11.50 per hour, plus time where I am online printing things and maintaining my job profile, money for every page I print, .32 cents for every mile over 50 miles, and .32 cents per mile from the first store I visit, to the last store I visit.

I can make around 1,000 to 2,500 per month with this new job. With target I make around 500 per month.

If I do have to drive 100 miles per day, thats on average of 11 to 12 dollars of gas per day with a car that averages 30 mpg. 11 dollars a day for one month working 4 days a week, thats 176 dollars of gas per month. With that, I think this new job is going to pay off.

I just got a loan for 4,000 at 11.50% interest. Considering that I have NO credit, and NO co-signer, 11.50 is a nice deal. I'm going car hunting tomorrow.

And for the cars,

-The Subaru huh? I'll have to check those out.

-The stratus's do have that rust problem with their hood. But I wouldn't mind that much. My brother said to stay away from the V6 in that model. And stick with the I4.

-I checked into grand prix, and they were around 8,000. I found one for 4,000 but it needs work.

-I'm still checking into the mirage's

-I'm still checking into the Mazda Protege's too.

I'm going to check into those capital one auto loans.

Slaughter's V6 Stratus has been fairly kind to him

In any case, I wish you luck! Keep us posted on what you find!

LOL I went car shopping today. So I go into a dealership and instantly get that "this place is cheap" feeling. I check out a saab and a chevy barretta. The barretta was trashed inside and was priced 3,300 and the saab was 3,750 and was missing a clutch! Another place tried selling an 89 chrysler for 3,500! HAHAHA Well, there's always tomorrow. :biglaugha:

From all the models that you mentioned... I like the Protege the best. It's reliable and a good value.

It's tough to buy a car within a deadline, as the best deals come by chance and at random. Since you have to get a car soon, keep an open mind and try to get an "econo" model that will be easy on the gas. You know, the Hondas, Toyotas, Mazda, Subaru...

Good luck with your new job and finding a decent car! :luxhello: