computer parts/new computer

nut

boiler, you're getting REALLY good at this!

i would swap the motherboard for an asus p5k and then go with an e4300 cpu. bump the fsb to 1333 (fully supported by the motherboard) and you'll have a 3ghz core 2 duo for dirt cheap. i am 99% sure that the cpu will do 333x9 at stock voltage.

i would swap the motherboard for an asus p5k and then go with an e4300 cpu. bump the fsb to 1333 (fully supported by the motherboard) and you'll have a 3ghz core 2 duo for dirt cheap. i am 99% sure that the cpu will do 333x9 at stock voltage.

sounds like a winner to me!

ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - $149.99

A little pricier, but better features/performance. The P5B is a good board as well, but you wouldn't be saving much money.

I think what we are really saying si save for a month or two get around $1200 and get something that will kick-butt for a year or two and be good for 3 or 4 instead of dropping $700 into a system that is currently at that two year mark.

Would the Antec Sonata II be an option to save some change, or is the power supply too weak to run that system?

It should be fine for a medium-grade system like the one being discussed. The graphics card is the biggest power-hungry item in a single hard-drive/optical drive setup, and an 8600gts ought to be fine on that power supply with 32 amps on the 12v rails. You may even be alright with an 8800gts, but that would be pushing it pretty darn hard, can't say I would recommend working it that much.

Would the Antec Sonata II be an option to save some change, or is the power supply too weak to run that system?

the sonata III is actually out now with a 500w psu. it also adds front esata connection. that case and psu would power the system we're discussing and the mild oc with ease.

(edited)

FYI, updated suggestion list with the Antec Sonata II case which includes 450W Smartpower 2.0 power supply:

Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 Power Supply - $99.99

ASUS P5K LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - $149.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - $117.00

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail - $129.99 (before $50 MIR)

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $67.99

EVGA 256-P2-N761-AR GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - $174.99 (before $15 MIR)

Grand Total w/o Shipping: $729.95

w/ Shipping: ~$754.18

Thats about as close to your $700ish budget that you mentioned as you're going to be able to get and still have a pretty darn strong system, plus you're still getting $65 back in rebates (eventually). I could definitely live with that system if I had to sell my current one off.

For an extra $50 or so you could still get the Core 2 Duo E6320, which would be a nice upgrade.

The Antec Sonata III that Cujo mentioned would be a nice step up case-wise as well, with a beefier power supply and better look. It would be about $50 more, but it currently has free shipping, so you would save another $18-$20 or so for that.

Edited by boilersax

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1483

Ultra makes as good of a PS as Antec or Enermax and they almost always have nice MIR options at www.tigerdirect.com . If you register with them online they give you a lifetime warranty on it as well, and no hassle with returns. I actually got my PS in the mail sent off the MIR and so I couldn't return it to Tiger direct when I noticed the main power cord was missing. I contacted the online tech support at ultra and they overnighted me one and so even before my case arrived from xoxide.com I had what I needed.

Maybe this would also be an option since this is a nice plain looking Ultra case with a 700 watt PS for $99 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...62&CatId=32

nut

boiler you have given me some great ideas... and i deffinantly want that case... and i dont think i should skimp on the processor... hmmm hmmmm hmmmm .. :freak3:

(edited)

sounds like a little more saving is in your future then :)

You won't regret holding out for that case at all.

Also, if you're not wanting to "skimp" on the processor and are planning to save a little longer anyway, then you might consider going for the E6600 at $220, although the setup I listed in my earlier post would be VERY solid for only $900

Edited by boilersax

(edited)

Don't let boiler fool ya, he's simply Cujo's puppet. Cujo could begin to rave about the cyrix chips and ol Boiler would have a c3 system by weeks end lol. Personally I'm still mad about you ice dwellers burning down our white house. One of these days.....

Edited by Preacher