Quake Wars - Enemy Territory Beta

Flitterkill

Why do I even bother - I *hate* slow 3rd person shooters.

Couldn't stand the Battlefield series.

I figure... hey! Quake is kinda fast, and now it has vehicles - this'll be fun.

Bottom line: Do you like the Battlefield series? You have a new game to play.

My P4 3.2 with Nvidia 6600GT was detected at 640x480 for optimal settings but I cranked it to 1900x1600 and I was still pulling 25+fps if not a bunch more (though others have reported god awful frames with god-like machines - I recommend getting latest vid card drivers)

This is the same tactical-style slow play (with reward system, unlockables, ranked servers-ugh) you get with the Battlefield series, only with a new setting (nearish future) and aliens.

Sometimes one doesn't realize how much fun the speed and destruction in the UT series is until you play something else. Unreal Tournament 3 will *not* be threatened by this game - two very different beasts.

So - theoretically I got a code... post here if you want to try (will be on and off tonight but don't expect an instant response - also - don't be surprised if if it stops working - I think they might disable keys if diff ip addresses *and* systems are detected)

-Fk

My Guild Wars Guild XoO also has many FPS divisions and is getting a bit one together for this, I'm really looking forward to it... though I don't have the time to try out the beta at this current moment :(.

(edited)

Three things bug me right now but I'm sure they will be fixed by the end of beta.

1.) The servers are limited to 30fps. Which makes for jerky game play. Anyone in CSS who has tried cl_interpolate 0 in the past on a 33 tic server know what it's like. Very hard to hit people with sniper rifles or up close because people seem to jerk around.

2.) When you zoom in with the alien (Strogg) weapons it has a horrible green view that looks like Doom1, blurred and pixilated. Makes it near impossible to Snipe with the Strogg sniper rifle and a pain in the butt to attack accurately with any other Strogg weapon.

3.) The human sniper rifle has no cross hair when zoomed in.

If you like Battlefield games and wish they were a bit more fast paced, this is the game for you.

Edited by VooDooPC

Cool I wouldn't mind giving it a try, in fact I was talking about the game to night. I liked Quake 1 and 2 but it ended there. Even then I was infatuated with the technology "It just looks so coooool", guess without a 3Dfx accelerator I might have blown them off.

I played it a bit tonight, I liked it well enough. Not enough like the BF series that I hate it, because at least you don't have to guard a stupid flag, but the vehicles are very hard to manuever well. Could also be the fact that I only played it for 2 maps though.

I'll play the beta for a while longer before rendering a final verdict though.

There are other games outside of Farcry, FEAR, HL and UT?

Edit: Oh my bad, I just remembered, there's also the Jedi Knight series. Yep, that's about it.

That's funny, cuz I look to my right on the bookshelf and those are the games I see.

Heh.

I tried the BF series twice and after 2 weeks or so, I realized I didn't like it enough.

meh.

Go fast, go hard, get fragged, respawn...that's for me.