iPhone rant

[LaW]Maverick

Funny story.

just went to lunch in the mall. There is an apple store there. There was a cordoned off line of about 25 people (6 hours early for no reason...I'm pretty sure that the store has more than 50 iphones which is how much they'd need if everyone bought the max of 2)...anyway...all those people were waiting in line, even the guy in the back of the line.

Downstairs in this same mall is an AT&T store with a cordoned off line...1 person was in that line.

I couldn't figure out if she was smarter than the others or dumber.

Funny story.

just went to lunch in the mall. There is an apple store there. There was a cordoned off line of about 25 people (6 hours early for no reason...I'm pretty sure that the store has more than 50 iphones which is how much they'd need if everyone bought the max of 2)...anyway...all those people were waiting in line, even the guy in the back of the line.

Downstairs in this same mall is an AT&T store with a cordoned off line...1 person was in that line.

I couldn't figure out if she was smarter than the others or dumber.

i believe apple isnt forcing anyone to sign up for contracts if they buy it from them, so they can buy 2 and ebay them.

I think AT&T is.

You have to sign a contract once you activate the phone though on itunes

Battery life.

Talk time: Up to 8 hours

Standby time: Up to 250 hours

Internet use: Up to 6 hours

Video playback: Up to 7 hours

Audio playback: Up to 24 hours

Ok its better than the ipod but performs 3 major functions in one device. I just see this as completely impractical. How many generations do we wait? I waited 5 for the ipod

:shrug03:

If they had rechargeable batty pack system I would be all over it. Heck the thing is big enough...

The thing that I really don't like about the iPhone is that Apple has purposefully set it up so that, even if you purchase a phone and then want to upgrade it when the next gen one comes out, you're kinda screwed... since you have to buy a two year contract for it. Therefore, if the next gen comes out in less than 2 years, those extra months you bought are probably worthless. Also, they make it absolutely NECESSARY to buy a whole new phone to be able to improve it. Um, why don't they just include a pair of wrist-to-ankle cuffs to go with their rear-end-zippered iPhones??

The thing that I really don't like about the iPhone is that Apple has purposefully set it up so that, even if you purchase a phone and then want to upgrade it when the next gen one comes out, you're kinda screwed... since you have to buy a two year contract for it. Therefore, if the next gen comes out in less than 2 years, those extra months you bought are probably worthless. Also, they make it absolutely NECESSARY to buy a whole new phone to be able to improve it. Um, why don't they just include a pair of wrist-to-ankle cuffs to go with their rear-end-zippered iPhones??

im sure if they bring a new one out in a year there gonna offer some sort of upgrade path. Also If your in a current contract with AT&T right now and want to upgrade, they just start your 2 years over.

i'm sure the second gen will be dope and all, but i'm really happy with what i've got now. 3g is overhyped, under deployed, and just a drain on battery life. that's the only hardware upgrade i can predict for now.

since the phone is running on the osx/linux kernel, it'll be really interesting to see what happens when leopard comes out. there are some software features they could roll out, or they could make those exclusive to 2nd gen. then again, the current kernel has been leaked into the wild, and 1st gen is always the easiest to hack...

ps - mav, i keep trying to call your zune but keep getting a "this number has been disconnected" message. what gives, buddy?

(edited)

No bluetooth ftl

Unless that news report was wrong...but $600 and no bluetooth...that's craptastic :-)

Lemme give you a call on my GPS capable PDA phone that has music and video on it with my blue-tooth headset later..... :peace: (I know you secretly want to come out of the Mac closet SJ) :wiggle2:

Edit: The iPhone does have Bluetooth. I looked it up. I'd have have been seriously surprised if it didn't, but my Dad had told me he saw it on a news report. Turns out the report said that it doesn't have STEREO Bluetooth...which it should have for the price, but isn't exactly necessary. It's just a cool gadget to have.

Edited by [LaW]Maverick