What's your upgrade budget?

Unclean

(edited)

Just out of curiosity... how much do you have set aside for an upgrade?

I'm not going to go really crazy, but I have about $1500 set aside for a new mobo/proc/videocard/ram.

/Edit: make that $1600 when adding the GC membership too. :)

Edited by Unclean

Just blew my wad on a 8800 GTS and a Athlon x2. Not a bad upgrade for under $400. I will most likely get another gig of RAM before the game drops. Maybe at the end of the year I might pick up another 8800 or a new CPU/RAM/mobo, whatever seems the best upgrade path for the game.

Just blew my wad on a 8800 GTS and a Athlon x2. Not a bad upgrade for under $400. I will most likely get another gig of RAM before the game drops. Maybe at the end of the year I might pick up another 8800 or a new CPU/RAM/mobo, whatever seems the best upgrade path for the game.

The game is going to love multiple cores.... keep your options open for a quad core.

The game is going to love multiple cores.... keep your options open for a quad core.

I will believe it when I see it. So far Dual core is a waste for gaming at the moment. Sure you can run apps while you game what who really does that? How can you edit a sound or video file while immersed in a full screen game? I played other "dual core games" like Oblivion and Prey but they don't exercise the cores equally. Mine usually runs 75/25 in just about everything I throw at it. I have to run UT2004 and Prime95 at the same time to peg both cores out. I guess it is kinda cool that the game still runs fine while Prime is working, something I couldn't ever do before. Still it's pointless.

Are there any games out there NOW that will use fully use 100% of both cores? Or is it that I'm runny XP?

I will believe it when I see it. So far Dual core is a waste for gaming at the moment. Sure you can run apps while you game what who really does that? How can you edit a sound or video file while immersed in a full screen game? I played other "dual core games" like Oblivion and Prey but they don't exercise the cores equally. Mine usually runs 75/25 in just about everything I throw at it. I have to run UT2004 and Prime95 at the same time to peg both cores out. I guess it is kinda cool that the game still runs fine while Prime is working, something I couldn't ever do before. Still it's pointless.

Are there any games out there NOW that will use fully use 100% of both cores? Or is it that I'm runny XP?

Multi threaded games are just starting to show up. CSS is going that route in October with the next update and UT2007 has already been confirmed to use other cores/threads for physics and the like. You will probably want quad core for UT2007.

I hadn't really thought about the quad core issue too much, but ran across this article. Looks like you still won't be seeing full usage from both processors, but there are advantages to running multiple cores:

PCGH: It is well known that your engine supports multi core CPUs. What is the maximum number of threads the engine can calculate? What is the performance gain when you play UT 3 with a quad core CPU? Will the engine even support future CPU with more than four cores?

Tim Sweeney: Unreal Engine 3's threading support is quite scalable. We run a primary thread for gameplay, and a secondary thread for rendering. On machines with more than two cores, we run additional threads to accelerate various computing tasks, including physics and data decompression. There are clear performance benefits to quad-core, and though we haven't looked beyond that yet, I expect further gains beyond quad-core in future games within the lifetime of Unreal Engine 3.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=602522

There's some other neat info in this page.

Good read. They asked the question about main system memory but forgot to ask about the GPU memory. Let say at 1024x768 what would be the most used for textures? To get to the point I'm wondering will be the performance difference between 256/320/512/640/768 MB configurations. Gears of war plays and looks well on the XBOX 360, how much video ram does that thing have? 512mb shared between system and video so I think it might play well on 256mb cards but who knows.

Supreme Commander likes multiple cores, when I upgraded to an X2 I saw a significant difference. I have $300 budgeted for a new video card when UT3 comes out. I really can't afford anything else this year.

By the end of the summer, I will have about $1500 as well.

So far, I'm running Athlon 4800+ (dual core), 2 gig DDR, WD raptor (75 mb), and a 7900 GT ko (oc'd to 580 and 1600)...

I plan to buy a middle of the road core 2 quad, geforce 8800GTX, new ram and new i680 based mobo...That will prolly eat up my upgrade budget and then some. I would love another western digital raptor (150 meg) but I won't have the dough.

I too play supcom and there are times when at 1680 x 1050 my frame rates drop to 4-5 fps (like when my ACU gets fragged or I drop nuke on enemy. Mostly it runs at 20-35 with med-high settings. I have a feeling that games like UT3 and Crysis will be at least as demanding on cpu and gpu as this game...but probably more. IF you want all the eye candy, you will probably have to upgrade. I am not sure how many people will play at lowest settings, just for game experience, but not me. The visuals are part of the reason I play PC and not console. Console can play these games too, but we all know that the graphics don't even compare, when you get down to the real meat of the visuals pc vs. console.

OH, and check on the thread in "other games" it has some new crysis video...actually a ton from E3.

This is gonna be a good Holiday season

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...mp;#entry408765

Upgrade budget? I shudder at the thought.

Depending on what happens - and when the finally get around to dropping UT3 - will ultimately

dictate how much I get to spend. I also think that the farther we go into the year, the cheaper certain comp[onents will become.

Only time will tell though.....

Now would be a good time to set aside a little bit of money each week or month or however your pay schedule works. It would be easier to do it bit by bit now than wait until November and realize you need a system with a built in coffee maker and a hot russian wife too.

Good call, zd.

[shoulderdevil]Penty - sounds like you could benefit from a bigger upgrade. Maybe try setting aside some dough each week like zd is suggesting. Or you could just cut back on other stuff. Skip going to the bar a few times, and that's another $100 or so. [/shoulderdevil]

(edited)

You all know more than me about computer building so probably won't need this information but better safe than sorry.

"Want to point out that the 8800gtx is about an inch longer than the standard sized 8800 gts. There are also an extra power connector on both models. Make sure your case and power supply meet your video card needs." My antec 900 would have been hard pressed to fit a 8800gtx. It has been done but required case modification and a change in hd arrangement. Good case though with small footprint (for desk computer alcove) and 4 fans (one being 200 mm on top for improved airflow)

It is better to wait on componets like dingy mentioned. Not too sure how much "polishing" UT3 will need. Still think they changed ut2007 to ut3 name so they could distribute it after 2007. I built my system for a little over $2,000 in anticipation of distribution beginning 2007. Prices have dropped on alot of items. Went quad core intel 2.4 with sli overclockable mobo and 8800 gts (oc) video card for sli and cpu upgrade ability for the future.

Edited by MaDPaT

agree mostly with above. however, there is definitely a cost vs. performance ratio cutoff somewhere on that curve. There is a point where waiting too long, gets you better prices, but the new gear is coming up sooner. Right now it is best to read between the lines. The new Penryn AMD core (released early 08)is unlikely to compete with current Intel technology...plus, by mid 08 Intel is doing a die-shrink and will introduce a couple of new dual and quad core models with more onboard cache and a different memory architecture. I think that core 2 duo and quad in 775 socket are still a great bet. the core 2 quad 6600 (2.4 ghz) is mid $400 right now and probably will remain so until the end of the year.

as far as DDR2, that is a safe bet and prices will remain constant.

GPU cards are another variable up there with CPUs but, with AMD/ATI taking a backseat performance-wise to NVidia and Admitting that they are not going to try to compete one-upsman style like they've been for the past 4 years...I think that NVidia will keep prices high on their top card and probably will cut their new card release/upgrade in 1/2...that means, probably at least another 6 months before we see any significant improvement over the GTX. Not only that, but prices will remain high.

That said, there is no real reason to upgrade for the next few months, maybe not even until the UT3 demo is released and we see how it performs with current and last gen parts.

As I said before, I think new equip and multi core will give max benefit, but who knows...like the producer said in interview, it is very "scalable" graphics interface.

Currently, for me, for the *entire* new system I have to put together (still ATA drives and AGP here) the basics is a killer MB that can go from Core 2 Duo to Quad with a chip swap.

Cuz there is no way I can afford a Quad anytime soon :(

-Fk

the core 2 quad 6600 (2.4 ghz) is mid $400 right now and probably will remain so until the end of the year.

As I stated in another thread, this CPU will be under 300 bucks after July 22 when Intel does another price drop across the board.

Currently, for me, for the *entire* new system I have to put together (still ATA drives and AGP here) the basics is a killer MB that can go from Core 2 Duo to Quad with a chip swap.

Cuz there is no way I can afford a Quad anytime soon :(

-Fk

Agreed.

Quads are just to crazy pricey. The most I have ever spent on a CPU was $200, last year when I bought a 64 3500+. 200 smackers is my limit and you know why? Last month I bought a X2 3800+ for $85, runs fine @2.4 too. As Flitter points out, it was nice going from single to dual core was just a processor swap.

Guys I have a serious problem and need your input

As you know I built a system about 5 months ago and worked perfectly, up until today. I pushed the button and nothing happened. There are lights on like when it is normally off but no action. I unplug the computer and replug it-it turns on for about 3 seconds before it shuts off again. A day earlier the computer just turned off on me which scared me but restarted without any problems. Is if fair to assume my powersupply is bad or another components problem.

I opened it up and checked cables but are all squarely attached. My computer building trouble shoot book says to install a "spare powersource" like I have one of those hanging around. I got it from NewEgg but don't want to return a component that is not defective if the problem is other where. The warranty is 3 years so I should be covered.

Miss playing you pat!

First thing I'd do is check my power switch cable. If your lights are on then maybe your PSU is ok,and the power button isnt working quite right... MAYBE. It's a start anyway. What's your psu manufacturer and model and watts? I forget it...

I'm hoping if you have a bad part it's the PSU and not the motherboard (just cause they're easier to replace). We have a "futureshop" in canada, which is sort of like bestbuy, and they have 1 week returns no questions asked. Find a store like that that sells psu's and just buy one to see if that's the problem. If it is, hang on to it till you get yours replaced then return it, or if it's not then you can just return it right away. That's my advice anyway. One part at a time.

I have had that kind of thing happen to 3 different computers.

1. It was the power button, so I actually switched it with the reboot button. You rarely use that any way so it was no big deal.

2. Wifes computer would shut down on her while she was using Paintshop Pro After 2 days of checking everything, I found out it was the ram slots that were bad so I

had to buy a new mobo.

3. Biostar board that I got worked for 2 weeks and just quit. It was doing the same thing yours is doing. I found out that the 4 prong CPU core power plug was bad so

sent it back for a new one free of charge.

What you can do is unplug the CPU core plug and. then power up the PC if you see all the fans spin up and everything lights up then shut it down and plug in the core and try turning it on again. If you get nothing it may be that plug.

Hope this helps, should give you a few places to look anyways.