dual core CS question

NOFX

so I have this setup.

AMD 3200+

GF 7800GT

2 gigs of DDR.

I wanna get some more frames per second and stop bogging down under high action.

any upgrade will force me to replace CPU, memory and motherboard, except.....

I can get one of those super sweet, 1.8Ghz 939 dual core opteron's for about $100 bucks. Seeing how mine and that opteron are similar in clock speed.

My question is, does CS take advantage of dual core processors, enough for me to notice some improvement??

CSS isnt dual core supported yet, supposedly after HL episode 2 comes out it will be.

But it will allow 1 core to handle everything on your comp, and the other core dedicated to css. Dont worry about the clock speed. Also you can overclock those opterons like hell, lazerus could give you some exact specs.

is this the one your talking about? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103588

like M2 said, for CSS dual core isn't a necessity, but it doesn't hurt either. Looks like that Opty would be a perfect cheap solution to squeezing a little more juice out of your box without doing a major overhaul (if you're willing to overclock it, that is). Your 7800GT ought to still be good to go, although you have to tone down some of the eye candy for stuff like lost coast and episode 1. I too was running a 7800gt until a couple of months ago, and it still did great with source :D

To answer your question, you will notice a bigger difference with higher clock speed than dual core with CSS, unless you're trying to have a bunch of stuff running in the background, in which case the second core could be doing windows stuff while the first one does CSS. :shrug03:

my bad this should be posted in hardware, can an admin move it?

Yea, well my 3200+ now runs around 2.2Ghz, but I have to kick the ram down to a 400 bus.

my 3200+ is the same clock speed as that opteron, so I assumed they would OC about the same. maybe the extra 1.5Megs if cache will help.

Now I see people getting these things up to around 2.6 and 2.8.. Im gonna go for it.

so after doing some homework..

I see I can get a single-core 4000+ and that runs around 2.7Ghz OC'd for $65.

Speaking in games, More Ghz is basically the old saying "there is no replacement for displacement" right?

Would I be better off with this single core running around 2.7Ghz? The operteron's now are only able to OC to around 2.4Ghz from what I read. Suggestions?

If you have a duel core set-up your system can utilize it to take the pressure off one of them. It's like having an overflow valve on a high pressure tank, when the system is overworked the 2nd core can come in and take the slack. Also more and more of the newer and better games are taking advantage of multi-core CPUs which means it's almost a necesity when you consider buying a game like UT3 or even Oblivion.