Video Card possibilities...

Ewerd

(edited)

Well, currently I have a BFG GeForce 6600GT OC 128mb 128-bit (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143084)

I am wondering if I would be better off getting a SLI motherboard and getting another one of these, or getting something like these:

BFG GeForce 7950GT OC 256mb GDDR3 256-bit (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143090) - $199.99

MSI GeForce 8600GTS OC 256mb GDDR3 128-bit (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127284) - $164.99

These are all, of course, PCI-Express x16. I am really out of the loop with video cards, I haven't been in since the GeForce4 4200 TI days.

Hmm... :unsure:

PS: Any other suggestions for at or below the $200 USD price range would be cool too.

Edited by Ewerd

(edited)

This one is the best at newegg for less than $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130086

This will outperform 6600's in SLI and the 7950gt plus it's also a Directx 10 card so new possibilities. It's also evga so it comes with a lifetime warranty and is already overclocked from 675-720mhz core clock and to 2100 instead of standard of 2000 Memory Clock.

Edited by Preacher

This one is the best at newegg for less than $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130086

This will outperform 6600's in SLI and the 7950gt plus it's also a Directx 10 card so new possibilities. It's also evga so it comes with a lifetime warranty and is already overclocked from 675-720mhz core clock and to 2100 instead of standard of 2000 Memory Clock.

Get's my vote.

Oh, wow, that is OC'd more than MSI's offering of the same. I like it, and that is the answer I was looking for. I wasn't quite sure if the 6600's would outperform something like this or not.

Thanks guys! :hug:

Okay, I am officially having the worst time. Newegg raised prices and dropped cards. The normal EVGA 8600GTS was raised about $15 and the EVGA 8600GTS Superclocked is gone. I think it is off the market entirely. :erm: I am still concidering the MSI one, however.

I have seen that the 8600 GT can be EASILY overclocked past the clocks of the GTS, plus it is much cheaper. Should I go that route and possibly buy a better cooler for it to better handle the OCing?

Also, I have looked at both the Radeon X1950 Pro (I think, maybe XT) and the Radeon HD 2600 XT. The X1950 is DX9 but performs (supposedly) great, and the HD 2600 XT is DX10 and performs... well, it just performs I suppose. Both of these cards are cheap as well.

The reason I am even considering anything other than the 8600 GT is that benchmarks prove that the 7600 GT just plain out-performs it. Basically, it is down to the toss-up between DX9 and DX10. :bang:

What should I do? I don't have my money yet, but should by... Thursday I'm hoping. On top of all my confusion, Newegg has been having MAJOR server trouble since yesterday. Tigerdirect has interesting deals (plus being that $15 cheaper on the GTS) but their shipping is more, and the reliability ratings are lesser. Zipzoomfly has interesting deals as well... but I don't know them. GAH! :bang: :bang: :bang::(

ZipZoomFly is a good seller too. Tiger Direct is supposed to be solid, but I've never bought from them beofre, so can't comment directly. In general, I think you'll be fine with any of the 3, to me it would come down to who has what, and what's the total cost (item + shipping). I'll leave the hardware questions to those more in the loop than I am at the moment. ;)

Good Luck. :)

I've bought from TigerDirect, ZipZoomFly, Newegg, and haven't had problems with any of them. Newegg is the nicest and generally the cheapest. ZipZoomFly (Formally GoogleGear) has free three day shipping on just about everything and TigerDirect is well... TigerDirect. Not the cheapest but they have a large selection and some hard too find things.

In my opinion, if you're going to be spending money on a new graphics card and have about $200 or more to spend, it makes the most sense to go DX10 if you can. The DX10 cards will obviously easily handle the current stuff (unless you go 8500gt or something), plus they will give you the flexibility of playing DX10 games down the road, although the performance on those might not be quite as good as say an 8800gtx (obviously).

My recommendation for under $200: EVGA 8600GTS

As far as where you get it from, thats completely up to you. I always order my stuff from newegg, but there are a lot of guys around here that use tigerdirect or other places. I would definitely recommend you go with evga over MSI though - I'm on my second EVGA card and their support is very good plus a lifetime warranty that is one of the industry's best. As I'm sure you've read, you should still have a good amount of overclocking headroom on that card to get some extra juice out of it. Structurally, the overclocked version is no different from the regular version - it just is overclocked by the factory. You shouldn't need an aftermarket cooler for it unless you are planning on doing some extreme overclocking.

If you happened to find yourself with, say, $300 instead, then you would notice a performance difference by going with the 320MB 8800GTS, but the 8600GTS ought to be solid for that money.

GLHF

the trouble with the 8600gts is that it's crap. i would get the 320mb 8800 or drop down to a dx9 card. these first gen dx10 cards perform worse than the dx9 parts they're replacing and by the time dx10 games are mainstream + actually show an advantage over dx9, you'll be wanting a new system anyway.

Okay... I checked my bank account online tonight and discovered that my points program reward of $112--the amount that was buying me most of this video card--was deposited rather than sent by mail. I also discovered that... I was... I was double-deposited. Instead of $112, I got $224. :=:o

What are the chances that they will find this mistake? It was done by Visa out of San Francisco... what are the chances that they will bill me for this error? I am thinking slim to none, since its been 4 business days and nothing has happened. I am so dumbfounded... what do I do?

If this error holds true, this is in my price range: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130082

*wimper* o0o