UT3 Demo?

Wentz

Oh man, this thread is cracking me up.

And Cannon -- some game companies charge monthly for games, which is a workaround for piracy that bends the rest of us over if we want to play the game for extended periods of time. Imagine if we all had to pay $20/mo for UT... what would you guys owe by now?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Cannon, never used the CD almost ever.

Bush... I cant think of anything to say.

Wentz, you were close with the 8/10 last night, but it was actually 4/5, though you killed me with the tank twice so it was actually 4/3 for me. Pwnt yet again!

You're all n00bs!!!!!!!!!! fjkl;ajf;jkf;asdf;jlafk

SJ - I'm from Canada, so it's a given that I like hockey too.

Edited by DarkArchon

Oh man, this thread is cracking me up.

And Cannon -- some game companies charge monthly for games, which is a workaround for piracy that bends the rest of us over if we want to play the game for extended periods of time. Imagine if we all had to pay $20/mo for UT... what would you guys owe by now?

No I wouldn't want to pay the kind of monthly fees I see my kids racking of for WOW. But how do they make back development costs plus some profit on a game like UT if the only source of income is just from the initial sales especially when they are hacked so quickly? I understand games are migrating over to home game system platforms which adds a significantly to the number of customers but that's a relatively new thing for UT.

I know a fair number of full time game developers that work for Midway Games in Chicago. When Midway stopped doing coin operated games the hardware people were let go but most of the software designers stayed on and there is more than just a few of them. I guess maybe I don't have a good feel for the numbers. How many copies are sold and such???

It's getting closer to that demo time... I'm wondering when I should start buying hardware. I hear graphics cards are going to change right around the November timeframe, but what about processors?

I'm working with a 4000+, 1GB ram, and 7900 GT KO at the moment.

Think it's a good time to buy the proc/mobo/ram combo now, in time for the demo? And then hold off on the videocard until when UT3 drops?

Think it's a good time to buy the proc/mobo/ram combo now, in time for the demo? And then hold off on the videocard until when UT3 drops?

That's what I'd do. Hardware is basically super cheap right now. Intel comes out with a new CPU around Nov too (I think) but I doubt it'll change the Qxxxx and Exxxx's substantially. BTW, you HAVE to go c2d or quad. ;)

DDR2 ram is cheaper than gas right now.

Drop the cpu to the q6600 (exact same fsb, so it REALLY doesnt matter if you're gonna just bump up the fsb to get 3.0ghz without a touch to the vcore :) ).

Also, change that ram. Get the pc-6400 stuff. There's no difference (basically) between the two except the price. You can save yourself money there, or get 4 gigs for almost the same price.

I'd get everything else there though! Looks like a SWEET machine!

Oh yeah, i was recommended the vista business by cujo. You wont use the home-theatre stuff (theater if you're american) and it'll have all the security/backup features that ultimate has. Just look at the details yourself and see which you'd want.

Edited by DarkArchon

ty for the recommendations -- Newegg has a combo deal for that q6600 proc and Vista Ultimate for the same price as the proc + Vista Business. Ah, this is all so tempting! :D

I revised the wishlist to reflect your changes, and added a beefier power supply. I have a 450W right now, but don't want to run the minimum with the 8800GTX.

Feel free to take a peek at the revised wishlist if you'd like.

Quad prices are really dropping. Fillter, might as well skip the duo and hit the quad.

Looks like my new monitor upgrade is going to have to wait. Today on my way home I rolled up my window and....ever been enjoying your favorite meat product and chomp down on a piece of bone?

Guess you guys never had your power window gears break inside your car door. It's a horrible crunching sound that you will never forget. Couple of winters ago the other window's gear snapped. Think I was out almost $300 for parts and labor. Hmmm maybe I should just duct tape it (only stuck about 1/2 inch down) and get the monitor. :biglaugha:

Guess you guys never had your power window gears break inside your car door. It's a horrible crunching sound that you will never forget. Couple of winters ago the other window's gear snapped. Think I was out almost $300 for parts and labor. Hmmm maybe I should just duct tape it (only stuck about 1/2 inch down) and get the monitor. :biglaugha:

Got you beat.

I drove to Washington state (from illinois) in 2005 with a buddy to go backpacking. The day that we park my truck on a gravel road in the middle of nowhere to start...my window motor (actuator) breaks out of the internal frame of the door. So I have to rip the door panel off the inside, and prop the window up with two sticks, so that we can shut door and lock and leave it for a week. When I came back, I talked to the guys at the shop and they said that they couldn't remount the actuator (which still works) because the mounts on the door frame were broken. They said they could get an entire door (window, electronics, mirror, etc...) for $1400...

Ummm no....

Cheapest I've found so far (used) is $400, and that is without repainting.

Yeah...so, needless to say, after 2 winters and 2 summers, I hardly care. Leave it...You'll be much happier with a new GPU or CPU or RAM than a working window.

Not yet. I'm gonna sit on this for about a week or so while I mull over the choices. Although I've got a meeting with my boss in about an hour to discuss an equity increase. If she goes for it, then I'll pull the trigger sooner. If not, I'll still be mulling this decision over. :)

Negotiations went alright. Won't know the results for a few weeks, though.

In the meantime, I've changed my battle plan slightly. I'm going to get 1GB of RAM and an 8800GTX and see if my processor (AMD 4000+) is too much of a bottleneck for the game. If so, then I'll upgrade that too. If not, I'll save some cash and upgrade later.

I have 1GB of DDR RAM already. I'd upgrade to DDR2, so it'd be a waste to get more if it's only a performance test.

I'm liking the idea of waiting a bit... especially if there are any last minute delays that pop up. I'd hate to drop some serious cash on a system when the one I have now is suitable for non-UT3 games.

I have 1GB of DDR RAM already. I'd upgrade to DDR2, so it'd be a waste to get more if it's only a performance test.

I'm liking the idea of waiting a bit... especially if there are any last minute delays that pop up. I'd hate to drop some serious cash on a system when the one I have now is suitable for non-UT3 games.

I'm with you Unclean. Hoping for now my overclocked 64 3800+ x2 and 8800GTS will hold me till maybe next year (after I get another gig-o-ram). My upgrade motto is "Don't drop the cash until it's twice as fast.". The 8800GTX should be about twice as fast as your 7950, even with your 4400+ CPU. Glad I didn't wait on getting my 8800, prices have held steady since I got it at the end of May, so get your's now! Funny thing is...if I'm not playing UT, you can usually catch me playing some older 2D strategy game. :shrug03: