No pc for me, but this is a wish!

Xoul

Ok, here is what I'd like to have for my PC. I actually WAS going to have this PC. But I screwed up big time about 2 years ago. I was helping a friend out with a 4 wheeler he wanted to get but he didn't have the credit to get it. Well, he screwed me over... he setup everything in advance and it was suppose to be like a co-sign deal. I went to go up there and signed for it, and went back home. Well, about a year later this 4-wheeler came up "stolen". Well, they made a police report and all that crap but in reality what they did was they had a guy strip it, file off the serial numbers, and put a different body on it and gave it back a year later. I know he did it because he admitted it to someone and laughed. Well, I had insurance on it through Honda where it was purchased, and it only covered 2,000 of it. And they refuse to report it to their home owners insurance because they'd have to pay a 1000.00 deductable. So, I still owe Honda over 5000 dollars for this crap deal my friend screwed me over on. I got bored and priced the PC I really want so here is the layout from newegg. Let me know what you guys think. I might actually have this if I can get a lawyer and sue this guy. I've been trying for 6 months and no laywer wants to touch it.

Let me know what you guys think, or if you think i should change anything up with this.

Subtotal: $2,593.92

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Item #: N82E16811129021

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

-$10.00 Instant

$30.00 Mail-in Rebate

$139.99

$129.99

Maxtor Ultra Series Kits L01Y300 300GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - Retail

Item #: N82E16822144251

Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

$219.98

($109.99 each)

BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOCE GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Item #: N82E16814143080

Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

$20.00 Mail-in Rebate

$529.99

Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail

Item #: N82E16829102005

$145.99

Rosewill RX750-S-B 750W SLI Ready,APFC,ATX12V v2.2/EPS12V v2.91 Power Supply - Retail

Item #: N82E16817182067

-$45.00 Instant

$154.99

$109.99

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail

Item #: N82E16820145034

Return Policy: Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy

$40.00 Mail-in Rebate

$208.00

($104.00 each)

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Item #: N82E16813131153

Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

-$5.00 Instant

$184.99

$179.99

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6800 Kentsfield 2.93GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562QX6800 Color box - Retail

Item #: N82E16819115022

Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

Dude, sucks to hear that some people are total jerks like that :(

I'd switch out that processor for a slower one and OC it, piece of pie really. Just me though.

What size is your monitor?

I have a 22inch wide LCD.

couple of thoughts:

1. Switch out that hard drive for an SATA drive. IDE is going the way of the dinosaurs for most applications (including optical drives too)

2. Consider an EVGA graphics card. comparable overclock speeds, lifetime warranties, and the step-up program.

3. Go with one of the new P35 Intel boards - that P5N is "older" now and the new intel boards support the new 1333MHz FSB processors coming out now.

4. If you have the money for that processor, more power to you, but the Q6600 or something similar would still be very powerful and they are all highly overclockable.

Good luck with the legal stuff, hope you get your investment back

Then you will want the gtx, but COULD get away with the 640mb version of the gts if you wanted to save money. If you want to upgrade that when the g98 and g92 come out in November/December, the go eVGA like boiler said. If not, then just get a good deal :)

I didnt even notice it was IDE... yeah get a SATA II HDD instead. I recommend WD or Seagate.

If you're not going sli then I recommend the gigabyte P35 board. If sli, Asus has good boards, and I'm not sure if eVGA has a P35 board. Probably do though. I have the 680i board by eVGA and I love it.

ditch the maxtors for newer sata drives. wd or seagate like said above.

get a better power supply, not size but quality. anything enermax or antec at least 650w should do fine. my personal fav is the thermaltake 750w.

DON'T get the 650i. sli is a waste as an upgrade path. you would also need at least a 24 inch to take advantage of that gpu power. get a p35 board from asus or gigabyte instead.

get a q6600 as said above and bump the fsb to 333 for 3ghz quad faster than your duo would be. any motherboard will do this and it can be done on 99% of q6600 cpus with stock cooling and voltage.

get a better power supply, not size but quality. anything enermax or antec at least 650w should do fine. my personal fav is the thermaltake 750w.

DON'T get the 650i. sli is a waste as an upgrade path. you would also need at least a 24 inch to take advantage of that gpu power. get a p35 board from asus or gigabyte instead.

get a q6600 as said above and bump the fsb to 333 for 3ghz quad faster than your duo would be. any motherboard will do this and it can be done on 99% of q6600 cpus with stock cooling and voltage.

Yeah, I didn't notice it wasn't SATA ethier. lol. This 22 inch is fine for me. My brother in law has a 24 inch with his computer and I honestly couldn't notice that big a difference from his house to mine other than he had lower FPS with a slightly better card than mine. I honesly like the maxtor drives over western digital and seagate. Every western digital that i've owned has died within a 6-12 month period. I had bought a Seria ATA western digital drive and it worked fine, then everytime i tried to burn a CD i got errors on my disc. So i ran scan disk and had alot of errors. I let scan disk fix them, and still had problems. So I formated the hard drive, and installed windows back on it, and the drive wouldn't boot. It said some weird error about not being able to boot from target disk. So i had to format my maxtor SATA 120 to be my boot drive, and use the western digital as my secondary. Thanks for the advice, I'll most likely switch almost everything out that I had picked now lol.

DON'T get the 650i.

Yeah, I was just saying I loved the evga board more than my old asus one.

Xoul: I've never had a problem with a WD. I've had one in my old pc for about 5 years and not a single glitch. If you're having problems burning CD's I think it's usually either a CD or burner problem, not a HDD problem. You must have single-handedly gotten all of their lemons ;)

you should have rma'ed that hd right away. all my drives are wd right now. honestly, seagate owns maxtor so i'm not sure how much longer they'll keep the brand around. i picked wd for the raptors and liked them so much i went with their 500gb drives as well. i normally recommend seagate ot everyone for the 5 year warranty.

DON'T get the 650i.

Yeah, I was just saying I loved the evga board more than my old asus one.

Xoul: I've never had a problem with a WD. I've had one in my old pc for about 5 years and not a single glitch. If you're having problems burning CD's I think it's usually either a CD or burner problem, not a HDD problem. You must have single-handedly gotten all of their lemons ;)

Nah, it was the hard drive. I was having all sort of problems with my computer right before i formated. When I played games my computer would just reboot. Or the game would crash. It took long times for things to load, and lots of images, text files, and MP3s were corrupted. I haven't have any issues using it as a secondary though. I had CA virus scan thats offered free with my Road Runner and I always ran it once a day(while i slept). And I have spyware removing software installed too. Maybe its just were I bought the drives from, I got them from Best Buy so they probably went through a lot! I always got my Maxtor drives from them though, and haven't have a problem. ::shrug:: Whose to say though, I'll probably give WD another shot though because I don't like trying different brands unless I've heard what other people think first.

Ok, so I took your advice and redid my little list of wants. Well, I think this is a really much better deal. Saved me about 500 dollars. I just wish I would have the cash come income tax time to fork out for this rig.

Subtotal: $2,066.92

PHILIPS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SPD2413BM/17 - OEM

$28.99

Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

$119.99

2 Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5000ABYS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

$269.98

($134.99 each)

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

$529.99

Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series - Retail

$145.99

ENERMAX Galaxy EGX850EWL ATX12V/ EPS12V/ BTX 850W Power Supply - Retail

$279.00

2 CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail

$208.00

($104.00 each)

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

$229.99

* Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

Item #: N82E16819115017

Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

* UBISOFT Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 - OEM

Item #: N82E16800992009

-$39.99 Combo

$319.98

$279.99

Edited by Xoul

why not rma the bad wd drive and get a working one?

go back to the antec case, it's much better. i've built with the tsunami and it's a bit tight.

SOLID psu maybe a bit overkill but you can never have too much available power.

i have the 500gb aaks drives which are a bit cheaper and quicker but less warranty (3 vs re2 has 5).

i have that mobo and love it.

i also have that vid card and love it.

Well, the only things that are going to carry over to the new PC are probably just monitor keyboard + mouse. I'm going to use a spare keyboard and mouse to use on the old one. I'll pick up another monitor or something from somewhere cheap. Wife wants it lol. So that WD drive will be good nuff for her. Its 250, and with the 120 she'll have plenty of space to download to. The 250 still works, it just won't boot for some reason. I'd RMA it but I got it from best buy, and lost the receipt when I moved. I didn't even get online to register it. As long as it works, even though just as secondary, it should be fine.

Edited by Xoul

you don't need a receipt to rma a drive. there's a manufacture date right on it. you should have 3 years from then but since you mentioned you bought it at best buy it probably came in a box which means you only have 1 year. retail warranties are garbage. never buy a hard drive from in retail. either way, head over to wd web site and you should be able to go to the warranty section and fill in your info. it'll tell you for sure if you can rma it.

Well, it turns out im actually GOING to get this setup come tax time in February. What I'm going to do is set aside about 2,400 in the bank, and then every month send in 200 until next tax time then pay it off. The person I talked to on the phone said that actually would help build my credit up, and the loan company i went through wrote off all the intrest or the principal or w/e since it was stole so thats a plus!

Im sorry, but I really have to say this...

My last upgrade consisted of

E6550 2.33Ghz Oc'd to 3.0Ghz

Gigabyte DS3 (p35) mobo

2x1gig A-Data DDR800

$375 dollars

and I kept my 7800GT and 430 PSU.

Im always above 100 fps, but the difference between you an I is...

You: 30 more FPS;

Me: 2200 more $$ in my pocket;

When building a machine, look at your $ per FPS. Once you get to a certain point. Your just flushing money down the toilet.

Edited by NOFX

he's probably referring to source though even then it all depends on your settings. i have a pretty good system but also have a 24inch monitor so i dip below 100fps quite often. once multicore support is released for source though i expect that will happen far less often.

Im sorry, but I really have to say this...

My last upgrade consisted of

E6550 2.33Ghz Oc'd to 3.0Ghz

Gigabyte DS3 (p35) mobo

2x1gig A-Data DDR800

$375 dollars

and I kept my 7800GT and 430 PSU.

Im always above 100 fps, but the difference between you an I is...

You: 30 more FPS;

Me: 2200 more $$ in my pocket;

When building a machine, look at your $ per FPS. Once you get to a certain point. Your just flushing money down the toilet.

LOL. Ok, the system I have now is an AMD 64 3400+ 1 gig of ram, 320 gigs of total hard drive space.(2900.00 brand new). This thing is around 5 years old. So how exactly would I be waisting my money? How much did you spend on that PC you built before you upgraded it. Around 1000-2000? Also, it doesn't have PCI-e, and I mainly want a new system with a quad because I do ALOT more than just gaming with my pc. I do work with photoshop, HTML, burn DVDs. I could go on and on and on. I get about 45-100 fps depending on how many players there are and whats going on with settings the lowest. The highest I get a steady 30-40fps. You try making a video for someones wedding and having to sit and wait 6 hours while the video is encoded for DVD format. lol it sucks. And then if someone ELSE wants a copy you have to do it again unless you keep a copy on hand. Which I normally don't, saving it on the pc as a MPG works better and saves me that one DVD. :-P I don't charge for what I do, but I should.... Come to think of it... if every time i worked on a PC I got paid... I could quit my job and be rich. LOL! At any rate, I actually won't be waisting money because I won't upgrade my PC again for a VERY long time. I'm not a die hard upgrade fan. I only upgrade when I notice I can't play the newer games. Like Spiderman 3, Supreme commander, Transformers, C&C 3, and etc etc. And my wife needs a PC too... See there is a long list of why I should spend all this money. Wife gets the old one, I get the new one.

Edited by Xoul

YAY, I can't get this PC after all. The dept recovery that took over the unpaid 5,000+ dollars decided to make me a deal, if i can come up with 4000 dollars by Monday they'll settle for that. If not they're going to garnish my wages and tack on late fees etc up to 8000 dollars. Garnishing my wages for almost 2 and a half years. They told me they didn't want to wait till I got my income tax to pay it off, and they CERTAINLY didn't like my deal for paying 200 a month for a year till i got my taxes again. PFFFTTTT, I guess a computer and internet is the least of my worries... now i have to try to figure out how to take care of my family with a 250 dollars a month garnishment. Life is grand. Well, I guess i'm going to go make me some ramen noodles, because i'll have to get use to eatting those.