Audio Problems

Nick Soapdish

ok im super miffed right now. nothing is working on my audio, except for the windows shutdown and startup screens. wth.

realtek generally blows, get a real soundcard...if thats not an option, uninstall audio playing programs and sound drivers you have installed right now, restart...then install updated drivers from your mobo's website, and audio codecs should install when you reinstall your players

I used to have the A8N premium and mine worked fine until I bought a card (x-fi platinum). Reinstall drivers?

I owned an x-fi card for about a week and returned it due to horrible popping/distortion issues occuring occasionally. My onboard sound wouldn't work after that - turns out I had to go into BIOS to re-enable the high def audio output (I can't remember the exact name for it - don't have the rig anymore). Check the BIOS and reinstall the drivers and it ought to work.

Also if you have just got a new PCI audio card you have to remember to completely disable the onboard sound card. Also many older motherboards (specifically Asus boards) have some issues with which slot your soundcard uses, usually the last slot on the board is a no go.

i am using the onboard card.

You silly savior. Get a PCI sound card and take all that processing off your CPU

Allanon did you enable it in your bios?

No I also forgot to plug in everything and breathe :P

Yes I did, my PSU is barely able to keep everything going on my backup comp so I'm a little confused... maybe I'll just sell the comp and build a new backup...