Um.. we are all doomed

shaftiel

23 people in a decade and 6 people just recently. You're more likely to be attacked by a shark. Though it is creepy cause you don't know its happening until the side effects show up.

But actually, if people were able to see the amount of microscopic organisms living on their very body, I don't think they'd want to go on living, let alone go in water. Though, I've stayed away from any water not in a properly cared for pool because its just not healthy, and even if the water is clean, you don't know what the heck you could be stepping on. I'll never take my kids to a beach, if they want to swim that badly, I'll buy them a pool and care for it everyday.

I don't swim it lakes, but if I did...I'd take my chances. I get in an automobile every day, and according to the NHTSA, a person died (on average) every 13 minutes in 1996 in an automobile-related crash (There were 41,907 deaths that year):

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/outreach/s.../optraffic.html

The rate's probably a little higher for brain-eating amoeba, because I'll bet a smaller population swim in at-risk ponds, but still, I can't imagine it's a whole lot higher.

I don't swim it lakes, but if I did...I'd take my chances. I get in an automobile every day, and according to the NHTSA, a person died (on average) every 13 minutes in 1996 in an automobile-related crash (There were 41,907 deaths that year):

The rate's probably a little higher for brain-eating amoeba, because I'll bet a smaller population swim in at-risk ponds, but still, I can't imagine it's a whole lot higher.

You've obviously never heard the term "It's eating out the back of my eyes!!!!" :biglaugha:

this still sounds more enjoyable than that amazon parasite that swims up your wee wee when you go pee pee in the river.

Because of spines protruding from the fish, it is almost impossible to remove except through surgery.[8] The fish locates its host by following a water flow to its source and thus urinating while bathing increases the chance of a candiru homing in on a human urethra.

disclaimer: may make you loose your lunch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candir%C3%BA

this still sounds more enjoyable than that amazon parasite that swims up your wee wee when you go pee pee in the river.

Because of spines protruding from the fish, it is almost impossible to remove except through surgery.[8] The fish locates its host by following a water flow to its source and thus urinating while bathing increases the chance of a candiru homing in on a human urethra.

disclaimer: may make you loose your lunch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candir%C3%BA

<-- watches too much survivorman

Why do I feel like they're popular in Japan?

I'm personally never swimming again.

I didn't know people in Canada swam.

I know the chances are increadibly slim for having your brain eaten by this evil thing, but its scary because you wouldn't know it was happening. You'd just have some headaches, followed by a fever, then death. It scares me because I know what I'd tell my son if he started complaining of headaches, I'd give him some aspirin and tell him to stop whinning. And even if I had taken him to the doctor at that early stage, they wouldn't be able to diagnose him as having this bug, and even if they did, there is nothing they could do. I'd just get to watch his brain being devowered while I sit helplessly. I know it is a near certainty that this will never happen to any of my kids, but its a scary thought.

Anyway, something that eats your brain is just plain creepy. they are like zombies, only much much much sneakier heh :)

Shaftiel

Edited by shaftiel

I say swim and do the circles, enjoy yourself. If something goes up your nose, then pick it. Trust me it will come out. If you can't reach it with your figure, there is tools. There is no shame in picking your nose.

Edit: Do it even if it happens in public. No shame!

Edited by Chamberlain

I say swim and do the circles, enjoy yourself. If something goes up your nose, then pick it. Trust me it will come out. If you can't reach it with your figure, there is tools. There is no shame in picking your nose.

Edit: Do it even if it happens in public. No shame!

That's like handing someone a pitchfork and telling them that they will find the needle in a hay stack.

You've obviously never heard the term "It's eating out the back of my eyes!!!!" :biglaugha:

Well, I will say this...I've never uttered the phrase...

Normally we don't, cause it's kinda hard. First we have to pick through the ice large enough to fit through, then there's all those walruses and seals and polar bears attacking you. It also gets pretty cold, and our igloos don't do much to warm us up. :)

Normally we don't, cause it's kinda hard. First we have to pick through the ice large enough to fit through, then there's all those walruses and seals and polar bears attacking you. It also gets pretty cold, and our igloos don't do much to warm us up. :)

yeah and the fact that there's only a small section of year that we can swim in. It lasts just under a week. This is when masses of canadians flock to the waters much like the turtles during the aribatha...we then swim in groups and use body heat to keep us warm. We do have a natural tolerance to swim in minus degree weather but only when we really feel like it.