Stupid audio problems!

dragonfly

2/3 times i run vista now I get a wall of static instead of sound, and it's driving me crazy. It's not even that I get static AND my normal sound, it's just static. I try to open a wma or wav and it just sits there and wont play it. I'm running the X-Fi platinum with vista 64bit business. I made sure my onboard HD audio was disabled, I reinstalled drivers, I did everything I can think of. I am pretty sure I have the latest drivers too. (6.0.1.1302)

I don't want to keep restarting until it for some reason works. :unsure: + :shrug03: = :bang:

Edited by DarkArchon

Only thing I can think of is that you have the speakers plugged into the wrong jack (I have seen...err...heard this static business when speakers are connected to the mic jack or the line in jack)

Other than that make sure the Xfi is set as the default audio device :shrug03:

tried a different pci slot? i'm actually using the older drivers cause i had all kinds of problems with my microphone being staticy some of the time and other times just fine. old drivers fixed that.

I had the same problem, I fixed it with different drivers. When I get home I will check to see what it is exactly. I have this problem because I have 64-bit Vista and more than 2GB of memory. This is known issue, and Creative is supposedly working to correct it. Here is the link to their beta drivers. Its only for systems with 2GB or less at the moment.

Edit: I remembered the name of the drivers, YouPax. Search around and you should find what you need. If not I can give you the filename of the driver files.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughterâ„¢-TopBrass

Thanks guys, I'll try all of the above basically. I'm using optical, so I dont think I have the jack wrong ;) especially when it works 1/2 the time. X-Fi is defaulted already.

If it gives me any more trouble I'm trying a diff pci slot and the old drivers.

I have an X-Fi and Vista Business 64 bit w/4GB of RAM, and haven't had any issues with the soundcard. Are you using the Creative Control Panel thingy? Where you can switch between game/theater/regular modes?

I was, and I wasnt. Didnt seem to matter â™  :shrug03:

I am beginning to lose faith in creative soundblaster and x-fi products/drivers. I have random probs too...

The bad thing is, that creative makes it soooooo hard to remove drivers completely.

Try to remove drivers and then use driver cleaner and reinstall.

That's all I got.

You said using optical?

That must mean you have x-fi hooked up to amp?...then to speakers?

I would check amp connections and wiring.

gl

i'm using optical to my amp with no problems. 4gb and 64bit. i only ever had problems with my mic being fuzzy. old drivers from march fixed that and they still work with the audio console switcher too.

Optical eh? I assume everything from your AMP is fine otherwise you would have localized the problem there, so it must be the card.

Creative is horrible with its drivers...many years ago I had to format a system just to get those darn things off. I wouldn't totally classify what I would hear as static though...unless there was something called a staticbomb.

Changing the PCI slot is also an idea.

At the very end you may be having a power issue. If there is some ground hum getting through your power supply the first place it will show up is in the audio.

Well, i switched to the May 2007 (2.09 I think is what they were) and so far so good. Yeah, staticbomb is a good name - it's static that nothing can get through - almost like a huge wall of it so much so that nothing can even get played (which was what was happening - nothing even being played). And yes Tek, I'm using optical into a receiver, sending to 6.1. When it's working it's crystal clear! Maybe I shoulda went with M-Audio a year ago for those 4 mic inputs.... ;)

Well, i switched to the May 2007 (2.09 I think is what they were) and so far so good. Yeah, staticbomb is a good name - it's static that nothing can get through - almost like a huge wall of it so much so that nothing can even get played (which was what was happening - nothing even being played). And yes Tek, I'm using optical into a receiver, sending to 6.1. When it's working it's crystal clear! Maybe I shoulda went with M-Audio a year ago for those 4 mic inputs.... ;)

I tried optical into receiver and it would never give me surround during gaming...

lamerz

I read something about that... had to do with the support for digital signals or something... I just use dual channel stereo. When you have no sounds coming from your pc, try turning your stereo up to max. You hear NOTHING with optical ;) I love a clean signal.

I tried optical into receiver and it would never give me surround during gaming...

lamerz

ya, you can't do it with digital on a creative card. you need to buy the analogue converter from the creative website. it basically sends a 5.1 signal over analogue to your receiver.

http://creative.com/products/product.asp?c...09&bypass=1

it's really dumb but the only thing that works. sadly the vista drivers released thus far don't support decoding on the card itself so at least with vista the cable is useless. it should work for eax sound though so you could still keep your digital cable and use pass through for shows and movies with dts or dd5.1.

most games where i'd want positional audio i play with headphones.

what's really sexy is the asus card that has dd5.1 and dts encoding built onto the card. with that using optical you'd get true 5.1 sound to your receiver in games.

Well, I caught the DarkArchon virus. Now my mic isn't working properly. After monkeying around with settings for about an hour, I can now get the mic input in playback mode, but sometimes it'll record normally, other times it'll be really choppy, and other times will just click randomly. It'll switch behaviors without changing settings.

Have you tried the new Vista hotfix yet?

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...c=34124&hl=

(edited)

LOL It's not my fault!!!! But I have experienced that too. What's your card? Same as mine? I couldnt get adobe audition to work in vista, so i have it running with xp right now. I do all my gaming with xp because I dont feel like setting up the mic in vista - i hate the soudnpanel in here so far... :S

Nope, I havnet tried it yet. I was gonna let ZD be the labrat ;)

I'm gone for a chunk of the weekend, but when I come back I'll try 1- 2gb, 2- hotfix

Then I'll just throw my whole pc off a cliff.

Edited by DarkArchon