Assassin's Creed

boiler

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone else playing this besides ebil and myself?

I've put a lot of time in with the game last week and over this weekend, and while some investigatory elements are repeated, the sheer manner in which you can do everything plus the side quests means I have yet to get bored with any part of it. If you find yourself mostly avoiding combat and running away/free running, do yourself a favor and DON'T. I love the combat. It can be simplistic looking at the controls of it, but there are so many different ways to kill guards that I never get tired of it. The counter moves come with so many different kill animations for each weapon and are awesome to watch. I am still finding new ones that I hadn't seen yet, and I've already put 14+ hours into it. I recently discovered how to break a guard's knees with my foot - it's deliciously evil...

I've finished 6 of the 9 main assassinations, and also have to say that the story lines really get interesting the further in you get.

*********SPOILER ALERT!!!***********

(sort of) After finishing the first 6 assassinations, I've even found the future stuff with Desmond to start getting more interesting and less cryptic. I too found it a little silly for the first several hours, but it's starting to redeem itself.

*********SPOILER ALERT!!!***********

All in all, I still give it a big thumbs up to those of you who are on the fence. I'm already looking forward to going back through it again to change my assassination strategies and try new things.

I'd like to get CoD4 still - seems like most people in this community are playing on PC instead of xbox though, and my laptop would cry if I subjected it to that game. :(

Pssst the 360 version is the best...but seriously...best COD game so far...I need a sabbatical (oh god I hope spell checker didn't just give me a random word)

I am one of the better console FPS-ers from my experience. With consoles, everyone's on a fairly level playing field and skill is what really separates the players. On PCs, everyone is running different equipment, and those that have the best stuff have an inherent advantage over those that don't. You may not think it makes a difference, but it does. The difference between an mx518 mouse and the ones that 70% of PC gamers out there have is huge. Faster machines, higher resolutions, they all factor in. In Halo, for example, I have yet to find a player online that is leaps and bounds better than I am, and I had never played a minute of online Halo until this past September. Now, if I go on CS with my PC setup, there are TONS of people that are leaps and bounds better than I am.

IMO, people that don't "get" console FPS-ers just haven't played with a controller much or won't even bother to try because they're too afraid of getting "pwned" without their precious keyboard and mouse and their ego couldn't take t. Maybe I picked it up easier than most, but I think it feels perfectly natural. I'm not the best person with a keyboard and mouse (I don't have that kind of time to devote to perfecting it either), but I'm better than most with a controller. Except for TV size, everyone is playing with the same stuff on consoles, which I like because of the level playing field. Not to mention the fact that I have yet to see a single hacker in all my online console experiences. I also know that I can run the games with all of the intended "pretties" and not have to do a hardware upgrade every time a new graphics-intense game comes out. I'm NOT trying to say PCs can't get better graphics than consoles (because we all know they CAN), but the consoles are pretty darn close, and I'll never have to spend another dime on hardware and still get all the graphics that the designers intended.

/rant

Why anyone would want too buy an FPS for a console when it's available for the PC is beyond me.

-we're not going to get serious with it

-I don't have to upgrade/tweak to get it to run smooth

-lots of people and lots of friends online compared to the PC version (we're not all PC experts remember)

-I play CSS, Hellgate and a few others at my computer so the couch is often a welcome change

-there is something about the positioning of the controller that makes it more appealing than a mouse and keyboard...maybe it's the fact it was designed for gaming, while mouse and keyboard are definitely not (not that they aren't inherently good, just not intended for that use)

-there is skill involved with a controller, while a mouse and keyboard requires solely reflexes and dexterity (which is really a testament to its usefulness in gaming, but some of us just love a challenge)

Why anyone would want too buy an FPS for a console when it's available for the PC is beyond me.

-we're not going to get serious with it

-I don't have to upgrade/tweak to get it to run smooth

-lots of people and lots of friends online compared to the PC version (we're not all PC experts remember)

-I play CSS, Hellgate and a few others at my computer so the couch is often a welcome change

-there is something about the positioning of the controller that makes it more appealing than a mouse and keyboard...maybe it's the fact it was designed for gaming, while mouse and keyboard are definitely not (not that they aren't inherently good, just not intended for that use)

-there is skill involved with a controller, while a mouse and keyboard requires solely reflexes and dexterity (which is really a testament to its usefulness in gaming, but some of us just love a challenge)

this was a much clearer and more concise version of what I was trying to say. QFT, especially the couch part. My couch + 50" Sony SXRD + surround sound >> than desk/chair and 17" monitor with headphones

Plus I'm in love with Xbox Live. All my good friends are on it and it's hands down the best executed online gaming solution I've seen/used.

I am one of the better console FPS-ers from my experience. With consoles, everyone's on a fairly level playing field and skill is what really separates the players. On PCs, everyone is running different equipment, and those that have the best stuff have an inherent advantage over those that don't.

Ever trying playing against Skallys from pbr in 2k4? TAM, DM, Ons, he was at least as good as anyone in GC. He playes with a 5200 @ 800x600 on a crt. He could still woop all of our butts. Heck, he was beating guys who had played for 2000+ hours.

Wentz plays with low settings and he's definitely one of the best. For fast action sometimes large blobs make it easier than pretty smooth pictures. Skill > equipment bya LOT. I say the edge is minimal.

Edited by DarkArchon

I am one of the better console FPS-ers from my experience. With consoles, everyone's on a fairly level playing field and skill is what really separates the players. On PCs, everyone is running different equipment, and those that have the best stuff have an inherent advantage over those that don't.

Ever trying playing against Skallys from pbr in 2k4? TAM, DM, Ons, he was at least as good as anyone in GC. He playes with a 5200 @ 800x600 on a crt. He could still woop all of our butts. Heck, he was beating guys who had played for 2000+ hours.

Wentz plays with low settings and he's definitely one of the best. For fast action sometimes large blobs make it easier than pretty smooth pictures. Skill > equipment bya LOT. I say the edge is minimal.

I never said skill wasn't as important. Of course it's more important - but twitch players can get more of an edge simply by having a better mouse and pad than I do. And yes, it makes a difference. I'm not that great of a twitch guy, but when I played with an mx518 versus the thing I had before, there was a HUGE difference in accuracy.

Again, please refer to 'Mo's post for a more concise version of what I was trying to say.

I never said skill wasn't as important. Of course it's more important - but twitch players can get more of an edge simply by having a better mouse and pad than I do. And yes, it makes a difference. I'm not that great of a twitch guy, but when I played with an mx518 versus the thing I had before, there was a HUGE difference in accuracy.

Again, please refer to 'Mo's post for a more concise version of what I was trying to say.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. And in a lot of ways Skally's is an exception to the rule. Mouse makes a HUGE difference (imagine playing with a ball mouse!?) as well does keyboard. And if you can get your opponents scared of you, hey, all the more fun! :) I had wentz twitch once last night and that made losing a lot more bearable.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been enjoying it, as boilersax says, the fighting is excellently animated, the free running is superb. I wouldn't rate it in the top 10 games I've ever played from a story standpoint, but those things which it does well make for a hugely enjoyable gaming experience, I'd certainly give it 8 or more out of 10.

Just as a side note, my wife doesn't play much on the 360 (other than lego star wars), she's much more of a Wii person. If I'm playing Forza or most of my other games she'll ask me to turn it off if she wants to be in the same room, but she actually enjoys watching Assassin's Creed (much the same as when I was playing a lot of Oblivion).

Edited by Leveller

All of the controls for this game are pretty intuitive, I think you'd have issues doing the free running in first person.............................

I've played Oblivion and some Tomb Raider games previously on consoles so it's certainly not alien to me, but I don't think it would be at all difficult to pick up from scratch. I actually find 3rd person much easier to pick up and play than fps on consoles.

Edited by Leveller

I beat it almost a month ago, and I'm looking forward to picking it up for another playthrough at some point. Once you are used to the controls, they really are excellent. The third person view is perfect for the game - I couldn't imagine even attempting this game in a 1st person view. After finishing it, I rate it 9/10. I was very entertained throughout the game. Even the last portion that some people took issue with wasn't boring for me.

The story is definitely the weaker part of it, although once you finish it and connect all the dots, it makes a little more sense. You will probably be a tad bit confused in the early going though. My advice to fully enjoying it (and understanding the story) - take your time. Fully explore areas. Do side tasks to break up the investigations.

Without giving too much away (although it's not a huge spoiler anyway), take some time to explore and talk to people during the "interlude" sequences instead of just rushing into the next main section, you really flesh out a good chunk of the story line doing this (not to mention you get achievement points for some of it).

hey Mo, did you ever finish AC?

Played it all of 3 times. COD4 is crack. I haven't played CS in months (other than stopping in on saturdays) or TF2 in even longer. I don't even have anyone to play COD4 with, my best friend bought it weeks ago but only plays Halo (db)...yet I still play 2-3 hours a night of COD...best darn game I've played in a while...weren't you buying this with your wife's salon money or something? Get on with that.

hey Mo, did you ever finish AC?

Played it all of 3 times. COD4 is crack. I haven't played CS in months (other than stopping in on saturdays) or TF2 in even longer. I don't even have anyone to play COD4 with, my best friend bought it weeks ago but only plays Halo (db)...yet I still play 2-3 hours a night of COD...best darn game I've played in a while...weren't you buying this with your wife's salon money or something? Get on with that.

Are you playing COD4 on the console or PC? Cuz we have a COD4 server, and it had 20+ people on yesterday.

I will be purchasing it after Christmas for my 360. I have some gift cards for bestbuy and thought about getting it already, but my wife suggested I save them for after christmas, pending her gift. We'll see what that means, but I WILL be getting CoD4 in the near future.

btw, once your addiction has been appeased a little more, you ought to pick up AC again and finish it. :D

Edited by boilersax