Assassin's Creed

boiler

Anyone else been keeping an eye on this one? It looks amazing! It looks like you have more freedom in this game than in any others that I can think of right now. IGN has a bunch of new videos and features, check them out!

Comes out just in time for me to make it a birthday present to myself :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else been keeping an eye on this one? It looks amazing! It looks like you have more freedom in this game than in any others that I can think of right now. IGN has a bunch of new videos and features, check them out!

I'm on the fence...I can't stand splinter cell games and this is made by the same studio with the same mentality, just in ancient times...I'll definitely consider it but since I saw the developer interviews where they explain how much they made it like SC I lost interest.

I'm on the fence...I can't stand splinter cell games and this is made by the same studio with the same mentality, just in ancient times...I'll definitely consider it but since I saw the developer interviews where they explain how much they made it like SC I lost interest.

sam fisher never climbed to the top of a cathedral (let alone any building he sees fit). In splinter cell, you are encouraged to be completely stealthy 100% of the time (you lose if you aren't most of the time), but in this you are forced to have combat situations when you kill your victim. Or you could flee. Or you could break one of the guards knee caps and scare the others away. Splinter Cell had none of those options. Trust me Mo, at least have a look at some of the gameplay videos and tell me it doesn't look like fun.

Here are the videos, I highly recommend you look at the "Montferrat Walkthrough". It's 8 minutes long, but gives a walkthrough of the process of intel gathering, target tracking, the kill, then the battle/getaway. The cathedral chase is also interesting in that it shows another kill and ascent up to the top of a cathedral tower. Very cool imo.

Enjoy! :D

Hey, it's me you're talking about. I've seen all the videos and watched the developer diaries and the devs are always talking about the similarities to SC...don't get me wrong, I haven't counted out AC in the slightest, it's just that with my dislike for SC I am somewhat less excited for Assassins Creed that I was a year or so ago.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
Best Buy in Canada has a deal next week for AC and COD4 for $90...looks like I'm getting it after all.

that is soooooooooooooooooo not fair!

deal for US customers too? :)

Edited by boilersax

Best Buy in Canada has a deal next week for AC and COD4 for $90...looks like I'm getting it after all.

that is soooooooooooooooooo not fair!

deal for US customers too? :)

I'm thinking it's because they buy everything in Canadian dollars so can not offer parity in pricing.

sam fisher never climbed to the top of a cathedral (let alone any building he sees fit). In splinter cell, you are encouraged to be completely stealthy 100% of the time (you lose if you aren't most of the time), but in this you are forced to have combat situations when you kill your victim. Or you could flee. Or you could break one of the guards knee caps and scare the others away. Splinter Cell had none of those options. Trust me Mo, at least have a look at some of the gameplay videos and tell me it doesn't look like fun.

Here are the videos, I highly recommend you look at the "Montferrat Walkthrough". It's 8 minutes long, but gives a walkthrough of the process of intel gathering, target tracking, the kill, then the battle/getaway. The cathedral chase is also interesting in that it shows another kill and ascent up to the top of a cathedral tower. Very cool imo.

Enjoy! :D

There's also factions you can help and they'll in return help you. I'm sure you all saw the demo where you can blend in with a group of monks in order to get close to your kill target. It's kinda political I guess. Gain civilian support by ie: saving people in need from corrupted guards.

Again there's total freedom with the environment... Metal Gear, Splinter cell always have set paths you must take. In Assassin's Creed you pick which mission you've been given to do first...( from what was explained sometimes you'll be assigned multiple targets to kill and they'll be in different city and then scope out the place to find him yourself or find this guy that will give you clues... ) You can get right to your mission or goof off... >_> like pick pocket people and of course side missions!

This game is getting bad reviews. GameTrailers gave it the only high score I've seen so far which is a 9.1/10

Game Informer gave it a 9.5.

The average score from 5 or 6 reviews I've seen is abouit 8-8.5. That's still pretty good. I personally disagree with IGN's main complaints that caused it to lower it's score significantly, so I'm not discouraged to buy it. A 7.7/10 isn't a BAD score, just not game-of-the-year stuff. I'm OK with that. The biggest knock was the repetitive gameplay towards the end - this doesn't bother me too much as long as the stuff that is being repeated is still fun to do. We'll see.

To this day, I've yet to play a single game that was "perfect" and didn't have a "well that wasn't quite right..." moment in it. If this game achieves new mechanics that no other has attempted yet and delivers on the fun that I think it will, then I have no problem at all looking past some of the imperfections that these reviewers have noticed after playing the game twice through and also at the various stages of development.

I'm picking it up today at lunch and should have a good couple of hours with it tonight, so I'll post up my impressions of it for those that are holding back.

*team xbox has a pretty decent review with a little more objectivity than IGN - my only warning is there are spoilers (some labeled, some not-so-well) in it, so read carefully if you don't want anything spoiled.

Edited by boilersax

only got to spend a couple of hours with it last night and haven't gotten to my first official victim on the list, but so far I am pretty impressed. I picked up the controls pretty quickly, and the free-running thing is something that everyone should experience at some point. I'm still working on looking for things that I can use to climb up to safety if chased. Haven't had any massive chases yet (mostly little fights with guards to save a citizen). I'm looking forward to getting some better fighting abilities for counters, etc. The mechanics are pretty good, and the kill animations are awesome.

I'll have more time to spend with it this weekend, and can give a better overall impression of it all.

I love it so far :D

oh, and dark, just keep telling yourself that... don't pretend people weren't flipping out about 2k4 when it was ready to come out like you all were with ut3 :P

Edited by boilersax