$100 HD DVD Player

Playaa

(edited)

Walmart is starting "Black Friday" deals earlier than Black Friday. There is a Toshiba (HD A2) DVD player being sold for $98.

On top of that, Toshiba has a deal where you can get 5 free HD movies with the purchase of this dvd player.

so basically, welcome to a free HD dvd player kids!

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

Great deal, couple things to mention before anyone starts getting excited. These are being considered door crashers, limited quantities and not available at all stores. Also, I'd like to point out that by Christmas you will find very similar deals on HD-DVD players so I wouldn't freak out if you missed this deal. If you can get it, it's a great deal though!

I have discovered zee problem.

according to the Circuit City website, this DVD player does not have an HD Tuner. Which means nothing to 90% of the people who want it. It does however, mean that people like me, with an HD-Ready television are ska-rewed.

*emo tear*

that particular model also does not support 1080p, for those people that have TVs with that resolution. If your HDTV has 720p as the high resolution, then this would be a steal.

I want to jump on the HD movie bandwagon, but with 1080p players going for $300-$400, it's too ridiculous for me.

Plus my 360 was the pre-HDMI version, and my TV only accepts 1080p signals through HDMI, meaning I couldn't get 1080p out my my xbox even with the add-on drive. Frustrations.

If only I could get it to give me the three rings, then I could get a free new replacement from BB..... :)

it does do 1080i...and I actually haven't yet met a person who could tell the different between 1080p and 1080i with their naked eye...people THINK they can...but I haven't met anyone who really can yet. (heck, some people can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080)

it does do 1080i...and I actually haven't yet met a person who could tell the different between 1080p and 1080i with their naked eye...people THINK they can...but I haven't met anyone who really can yet. (heck, some people can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080)

I definitely can. You'll see the flicker in video games instantly if you're a seasoned PC gamer. Movies, as they're all >30fps, not so much, but again in action scenes I can tell. Also anything animated in 1080i is instantly noticeable.

Newer TVs with better de-interlacing it's less noticeable, but not by much

Also, I find a lot of people aren't aware that the media they are viewing isn't actually native 1080p, which is why they claim there is no difference.

I have heard that for people with 1080p TVs, it's better to run stuff (like my 360) in 1080i instead of 720p - I'm guessing that's the right thing to do.

Like Mo said, most content out there isn't native 1080p anyways, including 360 and PS3 games. No matter what you do, there will be some signal conversion going on.

I wish my TV accepted 1080p over component or VGA :(

I definitely can. You'll see the flicker in video games instantly if you're a seasoned PC gamer. Movies, as they're all >30fps, not so much, but again in action scenes I can tell. Also anything animated in 1080i is instantly noticeable.

Newer TVs with better de-interlacing it's less noticeable, but not by much

Also, I find a lot of people aren't aware that the media they are viewing isn't actually native 1080p, which is why they claim there is no difference.

It also depends greatly on the size of TV screen you're looking at and how far away you're sitting from it. 720 lines of resolution is more than adequate on a 27" TV. On a 50" from two feet away its going to be much easier to tell a difference in 720 lines and 1080 lines of resolution.

Well, I picked one up. Nice to have an HD DVD player with free movies.

The funny thing was the line for the $398 laptop - it was all over the place (and there were only 5 of us in the DVD player

line).

FWIW, the Wallmart ringmaster was saying that they will be having these "Black Friday" events every Friday until Christmas.

So if you want any other toys, just watch the web!

www.walmart.com/secret is the website to check for each Friday's deals.

M2, your Walmart rep was not high, it is in fact illegal in some states to sell below MSRP.

in fact it's illegal in Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Utah, Hawaii and Puerto Rico according to the Walmart website.

www.walmart.com/secret is the website to check for each Friday's deals.

M2, your Walmart rep was not high, it is in fact illegal in some states to sell below MSRP.

in fact it's illegal in Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Utah, Hawaii and Puerto Rico according to the Walmart website.

I will never fully understand you guys.