Theoretically speaking...

Flitterkill

We are all about to have a remarkably large amount of fun in the near future and I very much look forward to having a good time playing with all of you in UT3.

That said, let us talk theory...

Flak primary is much tighter

Manta seems a touch slower

Raptor seems a touch slower, still goes backwards really slowly

Vehicle toss is back!!! Exit at speed and watch them grind off into the distance to crush your foes (unlike the demo where they just kinda drop...)

Node teleport is dif. There are separate teleporters; you don't need to be *on* the node to teleport - note that this might allow you to warp to nodes under attack...

Menu is the same, but snaps and feels much better. They will still need to patch and add stuff.

Hoverboard moves over water rather than crawls.

There are jump pads for hoverboard - I'm already thinking of what those puppies will do for the map makers...

The Necris Viper is a perfect compliment to the manta and an absolute blast to drive.

The deployables Necris vehicle has the potential to be evil as hell.

The Necris scuttle ball thing is not as good as I thought it would be...

There are no *new* necris vehicles. The six we know about are it. That's ok...

Turrets are varied and quite good. I think the hellbender, though still with no charge, might be improved as well.

Avrils will be very valuable in game - seem to not be in any lockers but as a pickup here and there.

Scorpion balls are much better - hard to describe

Penty! We have our tank back!!!

Still do not know about the server browser, etc. That is a large gorilla in the room that hopefully won't be as bad out of the box and will be patched super quick.

The orb flat out works. The speed of this game from a tactical standpoint has just doubled.

The assault variables inserted into the game are minimal. A better way to think of this is in terms of Tribes. That is not a bad thing.

Underlying all of this it is still onslaught - feel free to play it just like you used to. With the exception of one map where stalemates are a real possibility due to an assault-thing having to be done to allow access to core, the assault variables are optional, accessory, and up for grabs often. That is, you do the thing, you can take 20 off the enemy core. Then the node is up for grabs all over again...

Fugerstef, a name you might recognize, posted his quick take after being pretty critical overall on the demo.

It needs a patch for the obvious things that have been mentioned before (also by me).

Apart from that: simply great. I am saying that as a long year UT99 and Ut2004 player.

Great stuff. Much better than I thought.

I give it a 93%. (Will be better after a patch)

An unequivocal ditto.

-Fk

We are all about to have a remarkably large amount of fun in the near future and I very much look forward to having a good time playing with all of you in UT3.
Theoretically speaking, I 100% agree that Warfare is gonna rox your sox. :D

Vehicle toss is back!!! Exit at speed and watch them grind off into the distance to crush your foes (unlike the demo where they just kinda drop...)
Nothing like sending a scorp head long into a tank.

Very smooth. Almost seemless transitions.

Primus' new favorite toy.

Turrets are varied and quite good. I think the hellbender, though still with no charge, might be improved as well.
MadPat will be happy with turrets.

No arc on shots and splash!

The orb flat out works. The speed of this game from a tactical standpoint has just doubled.
Attack, CounterAttack, OrbCounterAttack, OrbSupression, all kinds of fun tactical stuff.

In my opinion, the only thing holding back the game is the outside of game problems (server browser, friends, gamespy, etc). Oh yeah and custom crosshairs.

as an outsider who has never touched a second of any UT game in his life, I have to say that watching the UT3 discussion go from "oh teh noes! apocalypse is heer and epic is teh suxors!" from the demo to hugs, flowers, and puppies. :biglaugha:

as an outsider who has never touched a second of any UT game in his life, I have to say that watching the UT3 discussion go from "oh teh noes! apocalypse is heer and epic is teh suxors!" from the demo to hugs, flowers, and puppies. :biglaugha:

I think the main reason that this happened is the fact that it was a beta demo. Oh yeah and the VCTF-Suspense map they included (closest to the game type most of us play) is the worst map in the game. Every warfare map blows that #*$! to shame.

BTW, epic has finally admitted that the UI sucks. It will be fixed in patches.

Theoretically speaking, I 100% agree that Warfare is gonna rox your sox. :D

Nothing like sending a scorp head long into a tank.

Very smooth. Almost seemless transitions.

Primus' new favorite toy.

MadPat will be happy with turrets.

No arc on shots and splash!

Attack, CounterAttack, OrbCounterAttack, OrbSupression, all kinds of fun tactical stuff.

In my opinion, the only thing holding back the game is the outside of game problems (server browser, friends, gamespy, etc). Oh yeah and custom crosshairs.

I like turrets but they don't move and have limited areas of attack. I like killing from hidden spots in hellbender. I hope they patch the hellbender to a charge weapon with other additions mentioned

I like turrets but they don't move and have limited areas of attack. I like killing from hidden spots in hellbender. I hope they patch the hellbender to a charge weapon with other additions mentioned

There are different types of turrets. The turrets on rails are fun. Also the turret placements are strategic in most of the maps so they are actually useful and not just noob magnets like 2k4. The Hellbender is better than demo but beams aren't chargeable. With all the new vehicles and strategies, it will take us a while to find out what the strengths & weaknesses of each vehicle. Instead of the hellbender being a manta killer it may be better suited for orb runner supression. IMO, the hellbender twin beams were a bit overpowered for UT2K4 atleast in 6v6 matches. Remember trying to get to Dria side nodes in a manta with a Hellbender guarding. It took atleast 2-3 tries (1st 2 just to find it). :)

BTW, the necris vehicles are by far the coolest in the game. The Necris version of the Hellbender can go invis and then add in the deployables (slow volume, spider mines, etc) it really can be a great node defender or bottleneck defender.

There are different types of turrets. The turrets on rails are fun. Also the turret placements are strategic in most of the maps so they are actually useful and not just noob magnets like 2k4. The Hellbender is better than demo but beams aren't chargeable. With all the new vehicles and strategies, it will take us a while to find out what the strengths & weaknesses of each vehicle. Instead of the hellbender being a manta killer it may be better suited for orb runner supression. IMO, the hellbender twin beams were a bit overpowered for UT2K4 atleast in 6v6 matches. Remember trying to get to Dria side nodes in a manta with a Hellbender guarding. It took atleast 2-3 tries (1st 2 just to find it). :)

BTW, the necris vehicles are by far the coolest in the game. The Necris version of the Hellbender can go invis and then add in the deployables (slow volume, spider mines, etc) it really can be a great node defender or bottleneck defender.

Hellbender is powered enough to kill a manta in UT2004. Ever try to kill dingy's tank or a raptor with Hellbender? Takes 2-3 hits and you die facing an experience opponent. I know cause it has happened to me numerous times. As for Dria, it was probably me or Bushwack hitting you. It is not easy to hit an evasive manta with Helbender twin beam but Bush has skill and I have put ALOT OF TIME into it to get better with such a great distance of view.

New UT3 Hellbender may be good for flag or node carrier suppression, but feel sniper rifle better option. The twin (nerfed) weapon may be slightly more powerful than your weapons available on foot but with greater silhouette and limited zoom not worth it. Besides, I would rather have old helbender so I would kill or disrupt vehicle towing orb guy then hit them again when they are picking themselves up. Full charge for vehicles and small charges for people. The way it is now, all you have are small charges. You may take out or knock off orb carrier from hoverboard, but any vehicle towing (scorp?) and by chance advancing on you will try to kill you and your hellbender. Unless you switch to shock balls fast enough.

Edited by MaDPaT