MAC Owners

Lunk

Im looking at getting a MACBook. I finally broke down and went by an Apple Store today. Looks like I've finally found what I've been lookin for. I would like to hear the good and the bad.

^ Pandora's box?!?!

Not a mac user, but have used a professor's and co-workers macbook & mac mini.

They are pretty sweet looking, and the hardware is almost always fast.

Just prepare to pay extra for the Mac name & style.

if you want to dual boot, you're probably going to need something above the onboard video of the macbook (that leaves the macbook pro). if you're not going to need to dual boot, a macbook is fine and then some for most people. i really don't like the size of the 17" macbook pro (mbp), but if you don't mind it, talk to m2. i think he's selling his to make room for a mac book air.

also, there's nothing wrong with refurb:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...lm=CertifiedMac

the inventory changes daily, so if you don't see what you want now, don't assume it won't be there tomorrow.

welcome to the (better) side.

Mainly looking at it for Home Movie editing/creating. I want to put all the home movies of my kids onto DVD. And I'd like to do it with the best quality and ease I can. Which looking at the MacBook, it will do all that and then some.

Mainly looking at it for Home Movie editing/creating. I want to put all the home movies of my kids onto DVD. And I'd like to do it with the best quality and ease I can. Which looking at the MacBook, it will do all that and then some.

BUT NOT RIGHT CLICK! OHHHHH ICEBURN

Erm, I mean, ummm, yeah :)

i think this is one of their best products for the money, al beit in a super pansy form factor. aside from the hard drive capacity, don't let those specs fool you. a c2d on leopard screams, even with onboard video. $600-$800, better than the $1100 starting price of the mb. if you're going to be spending most of your time in ilife with the editing, there's really not a need to go beyond either of these (unless m2 has a smoking deal on his mbp).

SJ I have a 15, I dont know where you got this idea of 17" but no im not selling for a macbook air.

Lunk,

If you just want video editing and multimedia then the macbook would be fine. My roomate has the black macbook and he threw 2 1gb sticks of ram from newegg in it and I cant tell the difference in speed between my MBP and his. Its just I can play games more easily if I want. Do not buy the extra ram from Apple though.

As far as macbook vs macmini, are you replacing your current laptop? if so then go macbook, but if this will just sit on a desk most of its life it might be better to get the mac mini just so you can try out the OS and the programs.

Lunk, I have to say one thing, then I'll try to back out of the room quietly before getting shot.

You're paying extra money for a fancy white case with a half-eaten apple on the cover.

PC's, even though no one seems to know it, have some very good video editing software, and you can get a more powerful system than you could with a Mac for the same price. Mac's are more expensive.

However, the Mac does have the advantage of coming with some better video editing software out of the box. I've used Microsoft movie maker, and it works pretty well, but the Mac software is easier to use--I will agree with SJ there since I'm sure that's what he's thinking right now--however, when you encode a DVD or any movie format, the thing you want is raw processing power, and you can get that in a PC laptop for less money than you can in a Macbook hands down. Even the Mac fanboys have to agree with me there because it's true.

It's like buying Nike or Sony--you pay extra for the name.

That being said, buy what you feel good about buying, but don't rule out the PC's because you're doing video editing--there's good stuff out there for the PC that does the job every bit as well if not better depending on the application.

Just remember this when considering your purchase: the slower the processor, the slower your encoding is going to be. Here's an example of what I mean about cost:

Mac: $3.099

PC: $1,829 (Before MIR $1,979.99)

See my point? :shrug03:

Mav he is not getting a 17" MBP. Your basically comparing the High End BMW M3 to a Corvette, when he is looking for a nice 2dr coupe

I like analogies

Find a laptop with the same specs he is looking for if you want to help him out.

To help you out

1299(Most places you can get it for 1199, can give you a link lunk)

Macbook

2.2 Core2Duo

5.0 lbs 13" Widescreen

802.11N Wireless

120gb HD

8x DL-DVD-RW

Intel X3100 Graphics (Integrated)

Also lunk, like SJ said watch for the Refurbished ones, I bought one new but both my friends and a family member went through the refurb store and got an amazing deal. Same warranty applies to refurb just like a brand new one.

GC Alumni
(edited)

i'd start reading mav's posts if he could say it in a few sentences. i'm sure it's worth reading, i just don't have the energy.

ps - sorry m2, not sure where i got the 17" idea, either.

Edited by sj

(edited)

editing video on a 13" screen would make me want to cry out of frustration.

Then again, I use Adobe Premier Pro for my video stuffs (I do semi-pro editing for small-project cash on the side) and I need screen real estate to use my tools and such.

Like Mav said, many people have been editing video on PCs for many years - Apple did not invent the concept. I have personally never used Final Cut or other editing on a Mac, but I have heard it's user-friendly and has a lot of nice features. You are going to pay a premium for a Mac over a comparable PC, although Apple notebooks seem to have a more solid construction than most PC equivalents.

Any particular reason that you need a separate computer to do this video editing? I don't know what you have now, so it's hard to say if you would be fine just getting software for what you already have.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Mac since it would do exactly what you are wanting to do, I'm just saying there are other options out there that you could consider - most of which would save you money. Most people think that anything creative or video related should be done on a Mac when I've been doing all that stuff on my PC just as well.

**IMPORTANT NOTE**

I cannot in good conscious recommend getting anything with a screen smaller than 15.4" for video editing. You will not regret spending a little extra to get the larger screen with better resolution.

Edited by boilersax

fwiw, i use my 12" mb with my 21" widescreen monitor. my girly arms enjoy the smaller footprint when i have to travel. i guess i did forget to point out above that all of this assumes migration of your old monitor.

"however," there's no comparison between my 2.2ghz, 2gb ram pc loading photoshop cs3 and my 1.something 1gb ram mb loading photoshop.

my mac smokes it, everytime.

editing video on a 13" screen would make me want to cry out of frustration.

Then again, I use Adobe Premier Pro for my video stuffs (I do semi-pro editing for small-project cash on the side) and I need screen real estate to use my tools and such.

Like Mav said, many people have been editing video on PCs for many years - Apple did not invent the concept. I have personally never used Final Cut or other editing on a Mac, but I have heard it's user-friendly and has a lot of nice features. You are going to pay a premium for a Mac over a comparable PC, although Apple notebooks seem to have a more solid construction than most PC equivalents.

Any particular reason that you need a separate computer to do this video editing? I don't know what you have now, so it's hard to say if you would be fine just getting software for what you already have.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Mac since it would do exactly what you are wanting to do, I'm just saying there are other options out there that you could consider - most of which would save you money. Most people think that anything creative or video related should be done on a Mac when I've been doing all that stuff on my PC just as well.

**IMPORTANT NOTE**

I cannot in good conscious recommend getting anything with a screen smaller than 15.4" for video editing. You will not regret spending a little extra to get the larger screen with better resolution.

Agreed: I wouldn't buy anything below 15.4" for video editing as that would drive me batty. Also, if you want to do video editing, I would recommend a 1920x1200 res screen in case you ever get into high-definition stuff (which isn't really far-fetched as HD recorders are now fairly affordable)

Also, I'd go for non-integrated graphics as that will detract from your performance when encoding video. All in all, the lightweight integrated systems are not really designed for video editing. They can do it, but not as well or as easily as the larger systems.

PS: Sorry for not noticing you wanted a smaller system, but I gotta agree with Boiler, I think it will drive you nuts for video editing

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

This will be replacing an HP Pavilion zv5160 Laptop that I currently have. Which has an Intel P4 2.8 CPU and 1.12 GB of RAM and 15.4 Widescreen. Windows based programs have been a bit of a disappointment for capturing and editing my home videos. Or I should say frustrating and non-user-friendly. And some of the stuff I've seen from a MAC looks much better.

I really don't want this to be about Mac v PC. I've pretty much made up my mind I will be purchasing a Mac. I just wanted opinions on which Mac I should be looking at as far as laptops are concerned.

BTW, I still have my desktop and 19" WideScreen LCD Monitor. This is not replacing my desktop. Even tho' it's in dire need of replacing/upgrading also. I want something portable, so I'm not stuck at my desk away from the rest of the family while doing things.

I want something portable, so I'm not stuck at my desk away from the rest of the family while doing things.
i'd really recommend (along with boiler) to hook up to a bigger monitor during video editing. if portable is a high priority, get a mac book (with minimum ram - you can buy your own for cheaper). if portability isn't worth the extra few hundred bucks, get the mini.

One more thing @ Mav. You would have me buy a $2k laptop and still I would need to spend another $400+ on software to do the video editing. I just don't see the same scenario with the Mac.

Also, I'd go for non-integrated graphics as that will detract from your performance when encoding video. All in all, the lightweight integrated systems are not really designed for video editing. They can do it, but not as well or as easily as the larger systems.

Video editing largely relies on the processor speed and hard drive speed. The video card doesnt matter.

A Macbook with 2gb of ram will run FCP and FCP Express just as fast as the MBP with dedicated video memory. Plus he plans on using iMovie which is very nice and easy on any mac.

@Lunk

Grab a mini-dvi to dvi adapter and you can hook it up to a LCD for up to 1920x1200 res. My roomate has the black macbook like I said and he does this but his monitor only goes up to 1680x1050 and it looks great.

From apples website"Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors"

Also some people like iMovie 07 alot more than 08 due to some features, I would recommend trying them both out. I will find you the d/l link for 07. Apple gave users a way to get both if they bought 08 and didnt like it. Just have to grab the link

I want something portable, so I'm not stuck at my desk away from the rest of the family while doing things.
i'd really recommend (along with boiler) to hook up to a bigger monitor during video editing. if portable is a high priority, get a mac book (with minimum ram - you can buy your own for cheaper). if portability isn't worth the extra few hundred bucks, get the mini.

Yeah, I figured I would get one with minimal RAM. Since I can get 2GB of Laptop memory for half the price of what Apple sells theirs. It will be a Laptop, not interested in the mini. But you're more than welcome to purchase a mini and send it my way sj. :biglaugha: I certainly wouldn't refuse it.

If you're wanting to not be tied to a desk away from the fam, then an external monitor probably is not the desired solution. M2 and SJ would be the ones to defer to here, but it looks like the Macbook Pro is where you will be looking for 15.4" - 17" display sizes. The resolutions are better, although I'm surprised the 17" version doesn't have an option for 1920x1200 like mine does. I've been so spoiled with this resolution, I can't imagine going back! Lugging around a 17" behemoth builds muscles too, it's good for you :)

I can't stress to you enough that you will not want to do video editing the 13" native screen on the macbooks will drive you nuts and force you to wearing glasses at an earlier age. I know you're looking for convenience of size here too, but if you can tolerate a 15.4" screen you will be happy you made that choice.

I suppose another option would be to have a monitor set up somewhere closer to the family in the house in an unobtrusive spot, but that kind of takes the portability away. Hard to have the best of both worlds in a compact size! You might also be able to hook it up to a TV if you have an LCD or another model that accepts a VGA/DVI input or even HDMI (via DVI -> HDMI cable), although if it has 720p native resolution, then you won't be getting any more resolution on that larger screen than you are with the 13". It would just make everything look bigger, not show you more.

I do all of my video editing and design work on my laptop, but it's a 17" beast with 1920x1200 resolution with lots of goodies on the inside. It's not nearly as portable as I would like, but I can still take it with me and work wherever I want.

*See guys? I can be positive about macs :D

Well seems I missed out on all the fun. Here's my input anyway.

If you are dead set on getting a Mac, I would recommend getting either a Mac Mini or even better, an iMac. I have a friend who is a professional editor on a nationally syndicated fishing show and he loves his new iMac for editing.

If you absolutely must have a laptop though...I would highly recommend the 15.4" Macbook Pro. It's what I have. I got a refurb one about 6 months ago and am still massively in love with the thing every time I pick it up and use it. I couldn't say the same for either my Dell, my HP or my Sony Vaio laptops 6 months after having them.

The advantages of the 15.4" are that it's still very portable but is much better when you aren't taking it with you. My 1 year old version also runs CS:S (when booted into Windows) on all settings at highest with no problems.

Mav is right though...as far as hardware goes, you'll get more for your money with a Windows PC...but as far as software goes (especially the OS) you'll get ALOT more enjoyment and joy out of Mac than Windows.

I didn't say NOT to buy a Mac, or to buy a 2k computer, I was simply pointing out the price-point difference. Besides, if you save 1k buying the thing and you spend 400 on software, then you've still saved $600, right?

Anyway, onto which Mac to buy. The video card DOES in fact matter, because it is what processes the video capture. It doesn't have to be particularly powerful, true, but it does have to support the feature. Also, if your system is managing an integrated graphics card while hosing the whole processor on encoding video, it goes slower. If you have a dedicated card it uses up less system resources and you encode faster. Less overhead to manage (i.e. when you have to manage an integrated vid card) means more processor is available to do the encoding.

I would still not get such a tiny screen for video editing, and if you want to go Mac, which does have very good video editing software and IS more user friendly, I would get a MacBook Pro personally. However, if you don't want to spend the cash, I'd go with the ol' MacBook standby.

It's like other people have said, you want raw processing power and a fast HDD. But it's true what I say 'bout the video card--integrated will slow you down a bit.

Edit: Note the double negative! :peace:

Edited by [LaW]Maverick