Sometimes its good to be anonymous...

EbilDustBunny

So this happened last week but it's still nagging me... I have to tell this story to SOMEONE. Anyways story time:

This big and sweaty guy named David came to my workplace looking for help. He looked like a football coach with his gym clothes and definitely gave off a coach vibe. He recently spoke to another Agent from another store… who had told him that his laptop had a bad hard drive. So David installed a new hard drive into his laptop, because “the Agent made it sound easy.†(It is… for some people.) David also said “The guy told me it was easy and I could just plug it in.†(Hopefully “the guy†didn’t say it that way… I can’t say for sure b/c he was from another location, but my “guys†would never say it that way. I’m sure we’d end up with more scenarios like this if we did.)

Now his laptop doesn't recognize the new drive and when he tried to restore the OS it says that there isn’t an available drive to reinstall windows on (duh). He just wanted me to “fix it†because the other agent didn’t? (David opted to fix it himself… I’m sure this “other Agent†would have suggested that he could do it for him.) I must of stood there forever listening to him go on and on about his laptop and the troubles he's had and how much he loved it etc. David was a very charismatic guy and had a funny laugh. If I had to describe his laugh… it was 50% chuckle and 50% “Haâ€Â. (It was weird, hence it was funny.) He would not let me get in a word… I mean I could have already fixed his laptop but with all his talk time it took me 45mins (possibly more) to help this one man. He wasn’t a very good listener.

Anyways David basically told me how his world was stopped because his laptop was dead… he could not work and was basically cut off from “the world,†because he could not send or receive his e-mails. He had to get a secondary laptop… so he gone to an Apple Store and purchased a Macbook Pro because some of his buddies had them. He was in love with it! Told me all the things he did with it and how he could video chat with his friends etc. BUT then few days he realized it did not have a modem.

Apparently faxing things with his laptop was something he can not go without. So he couldn’t keep this laptop. He brought it back to the Apple Store and was very ticked off that they were going to charge him a restocking fee. He said the salesman did not tell him it did not come with a modem… and it was the salesman fault for not mentioning it and then asked me “What kind of computer/laptop does not come with a modem anymore?†I replied… “Well… most laptops and desktops in the market today do not come with a modem. It’s pretty much obsolete these days.†And I continue to comment “There are ways to fax without a modem.â€Â

David kind of batted his eyes and started to rant about something else… but then I told him I had to run this to my work bench to see what’s really going on with his laptop. I took his recovery CDs and laptop and ran to the back office. I really just wanted to get away so I can actually help him and just see what he did to his laptop. I was thinking myself you can’t “Just plug it in…†that’s like expecting me to get a cake when I just dumped flour, eggs and milk (not an accurate ingredients list for cake) into a pan and tossed it into the oven. Well I didn’t even have to open his laptop to figure what his did wrong. His old hard drive still had his pin adapter attached to it… I cringed at the thought of what David might have done to install this laptop. I opened up his unit and gave it a peek.

The hard drive I guess you can say… just “plug in†it wasn’t connected just sitting in there. A couple pins were slightly dinged… easily fixed with my handy dandy bent pin fixing tool *cough*mechanical pencil*cough*. Having fixed the issue and informed him that he did not properly install the hard drive and that the issue was fixed all he had to do was to restore it. He was happy! I was happy he was happy! Square off some paperwork and sent him on his marry way! I WISH!

I freed the employees that were trapped in a discussion with David while I was fixing his lappy. Instead of letting me wrap up he engaged me in another conversation… more like a pelting of information. He was a politician running for a position to be our county commissioner and force fed me his campaign platform… which was about this major bus route. I think he lost my vote… I could I vote for someone with such poor listening skills and ignorance? Plus his platform was on a topic I really don’t care much about. If he had just left without giving me his business card and remained anonymous it would be best for both of us. I’m sure he’s a nice guy over all. :/

And what kind of slogan is “rescuing our tomorrows�

I mean what guy buys anything without making sure it meets all your everyday needs? And then blaming someone else… I’m sorry people didn’t read your mind. And you can’t really be a good speaker if you’re not a good listener. I felt like I was drowning the entire time he was talking to me. I'm refraining very much so, to not post a picture or his website... he does look like a football/wrestling/baseball coach though.

Edited by EbilDustBunny

<--- Quit customer service after being hit by a bag of Chex Mix which I then ate.

I once had someone hand me a very small, paper bible-thing, pamphlet or whatever for a church and start preaching to me in a McDonald's drive-thru during the lunch rush when we were lined around the store with cars. She started taking so long, I did something with the paper bible (that I'd better not mention here) that caused her to throw her food at me and speed away after screeching that I was the devil.

You have to take command of the situation, regardless of the individual. It makes things faster and makes your employers think you're a harder worker than others. I guarantee - when I worked in a Taco Bell drive-thru NO ONE knows how to order, and yet I was amazing at it because I pushed people to order faster and order accurately. It's sad to say, but usually in every business, you know what you're doing and the customer doesn't. Especially tech support. It really does work.

I like being among the ranks of angry, bitter chefs now, though. They yell at the waiters, then the waiters try and yell at us, but we just stare them down cause they're always smaller than us.

The hard drive I guess you can say… just “plug in†it wasn’t connected just sitting in there. A couple pins were slightly dinged… easily fixed with my handy dandy bent pin fixing tool *cough*mechanical pencil*cough*.

^Best part of the story

Yes, I read it all. I hate stupid customers. At least he didn't yell at you like all the morons near Chicago. Over here, they're both dumb AND rude.

Now his laptop does recognize the new drive and when he tried to restore the OS it says that there isn’t an available drive to reinstall windows on (duh).

Wha? I'm missing something. typo?

Okay, it sounds cheap but, the only way I found to deal with people like that is to tell them they did something wrong. I found that people like this think they are right, and they just need you to see it. (even though they need your help) Accuse the person that they caused this problem and no more talky. Saved me many hours in retail.

Now his laptop does recognize the new drive and when he tried to restore the OS it says that there isn’t an available drive to reinstall windows on (duh).
Wha? I'm missing something. typo?Okay, it sounds cheap but, the only way I found to deal with people like that is to tell them they did something wrong. I found that people like this think they are right, and they just need you to see it. (even though they need your help) Accuse the person that they caused this problem and no more talky. Saved me many hours in retail.
yeah i didn't really check my paper much... but it's suppose to be doesn't
<--- Quit customer service after being hit by a bag of Chex Mix which I then ate.I once had someone hand me a very small, paper bible-thing, pamphlet or whatever for a church and start preaching to me in a McDonald's drive-thru during the lunch rush when we were lined around the store with cars. She started taking so long, I did something with the paper bible (that I'd better not mention here) that caused her to throw her food at me and speed away after screeching that I was the devil.You have to take command of the situation, regardless of the individual. It makes things faster and makes your employers think you're a harder worker than others. I guarantee - when I worked in a Taco Bell drive-thru NO ONE knows how to order, and yet I was amazing at it because I pushed people to order faster and order accurately. It's sad to say, but usually in every business, you know what you're doing and the customer doesn't. Especially tech support. It really does work.I like being among the ranks of angry, bitter chefs now, though. They yell at the waiters, then the waiters try and yell at us, but we just stare them down cause they're always smaller than us.
We had a pregnant lady chuck a broken iPod at us before... needless to say she was asked to leave.
The hard drive I guess you can say… just “plug in†it wasn’t connected just sitting in there. A couple pins were slightly dinged… easily fixed with my handy dandy bent pin fixing tool *cough*mechanical pencil*cough*.
^Best part of the storyYes, I read it all. I hate stupid customers. At least he didn't yell at you like all the morons near Chicago. Over here, they're both dumb AND rude.
In Florida... we get everyone. -.-

I read it all. Sounds like a typical "local" user (read as L-user) to me. I tend to treat everyone I speak with as if they were completely computer illiterate, even if they tell me otherwise. When they start showing me that they might know a little bit, I lighten up. I don't ask them what they tried, I ask them to tell me exactly what they did step by step. If they can't tell me, typically I'll start ignoring their "advice and start off on a beginning troubleshoot. But typically, in a troubleshoot, you don't want to take anything for granted. I've asked people over and over again "Did you do this or that?" "No, I didn't do anything." "Ok, then you didn't do this?" "No, nothing." "Ok, well, it looks like somehow, this was done". "Oh, that, yeah I did that".

/me facepalms