iPhone Users

ZeroDamage

For you few iphone users out there, I have a question. How well does the touch keypad work in comparison to the keypad on a smart phone such as a treo (if you've used a treo). I am curious as I am considering picking one up since the AT&T service around here seems to be getting better with some new towers and what not. Any information to share?

i've only used the keypad on a blackberry (71xx series), and i like the iphone key/touch pad better. the lack of tactile response isn't an issue for me - the letter jumps out (think ancient typewriter arm swinging) when you hit it, and the autocorrect is pretty dead on. my drunk dial text messages are frighteningly accurate....if that says anything.

don't waste your money on any screen covers (like the films), but do buy some sort of slim case to protect the shiny parts.

why no screen covers? easy to replace if needed or some other reason? (If I could still get a 4gb version, I would.)
i haven't found a way to scratch it yet, including being in the same pocket as keys, dropping it face down on the street, burying it in a snowbank, and letting my dog chew on it. srsly. it's indestructible, so you'd 1) be wasting money 2) potentially interfering with the contacts

Have to agree with sj, the iphone is pretty rugged. It's the best multi-function device I've ever owned. Like it much better than the Blackberry I carried a few years ago. And believe it or not it's pretty good for watching tv shows/movies/videos when you have some idle time.

I had mine in a case for about the first week, then said screw it. There was some youtube video showing how much they did to it before it scratched. It took a nail I believe.

As far as the feel, like sj said the auto correction is dead on. I didnt like typing at first, the i realized you can move your finger over to the correct letter before letting go, it was a great day when that happened. But in reality within 2 weeks I was able to type out emails and posts on gc very quickly without thinking if I was gonna misspell something. Ive used my roomates curve and I like the style of the iphone 10x better when typing stuff out.

i've had two cases, neither covered the screen. imo, it's entirely worthless to cover the screen.

i hated the first case because it changed the form factor of the phone. i'm not sure what the function of it was (it's some sort of neoprene), but the back part of the case had some weird design that i can only assume was meant to wrap your earbuds around and something something. not sure, but it sucked, especially when it got caught on the inside of my pocket when i needed to answer the phone.

i just got my second case, and first impressions are insane. it's the "agent 18" (product # a-181PE1/B). it's a hard plastic that keeps the same shape of the phone, but snaps into two pieces. it makes the phone feel that much more solid (if possible), and makes me feel better about keeping the dents away from the case. it's still to be seen whether the case pulls apart after time, but so far, highly recommended:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...;nplm=TP409LL/A

_sj

• 2 weeks later...

So I almost bought an iPhone today. My wife went over her minutes on her plan by a significant amount and i used the fact that I did not have a contract any more to get the fees reversed and renewed my contract. I thought hard about getting an iPhone but decided against it until the 3G version comes out sometime this year.

Any one have any inside information on when the new 3G capable iPhone will show itself?

i'm ALWAYS listening to the ipod. i have the 8gb version, 140+ gb music library, and think i would have actually preferred the 4gb version. from start to finish, it's about an hour long process to select and sync my music for the next 2 weeks (to be fair, its on a network share, so part of that time is the wireless transfer).

oh, i guess a bigger one would be nice for more movies, but i manage.

did i answer the question you didn't ask?

• 3 months later...

How very awkward timing for you.

You can soon purchase a 3G version with GPS...http://www.apple.com/iphone/

That said...You are correct on it being an amazing piece of technology.