Video Card recommendations

NOFX

So it looks like I've been out of the loop for a while.

I need something to power this new monitor. Current spec:

C2D e6550@2.5Ghz, 2 gigs of DDR2, 7800GT.

looking for something that will run COD4 at a decent framerate, but not looking to spend as much on the card as I did the monitor, suggestions?

Best option right now, especially for the price:

EVGA 8800GT Superclocked

$259.99

there are also a few other variations of the 8800GT that would be slightly cheaper.

The 8800GTS (with G92 core) also has 512MB of ram, but is significantly more expensive with only slightly faster clock speeds and 128 stream processors vs. 112 in the GT.

Considering the size of the monitor and the native resolution, you will want to go 8800 gtx at the minimum. It is a possibility that 8800gt SLI would also suffice if your system can do SLI. But in the case of your large monitor, you will want something with the kind of RAM in the GTX or dual GT's.

And let me add that I am willing to let my gtx go as I do not game on the pc like I used to. eVGA 8800 GTX with a lifetime warranty. I do not OC it but it can be done.

Edited by ZeroDamage

So it looks like I've been out of the loop for a while.

I need something to power this new monitor. Current spec:

C2D e6550@2.5Ghz, 2 gigs of DDR2, 7800GT.

looking for something that will run COD4 at a decent framerate, but not looking to spend as much on the card as I did the monitor, suggestions?

Not sure what size monitor you have... but I have a 22 inch widescreen

and I have the evga 8800GT SSC (faster than the superclocked) and play COD4 on full resolution with all settings on high and get zero lag...

You dont need something as big as an 8800GTX. I have the 8800GTS 640MB with 112SP's, I'm running CoD4 EVERYTHING maxed @ 1920x1200 with absolutely no chop, and I never break 512 of my video memory. The 8800GT is almost exactly the same as my card, except it's the g92 instead of g80, single slot cooler instead of dual, and it has a faster clock speed. You'll only need one.

Edit: the rest of the specs of my system are at the bottom of my sig. It's similar to yours, except you can definitely OC your CPU more (you dont notice much difference past 2.8 in games) and if you REALLY need to get more ram, it's stupid cheap right now. $26 for 2 gigs.

EDIT #2: I just read the for sale forums. You got a good deal :) Enjoy!

Edited by DarkArchon

You dont need something as big as an 8800GTX. I have the 8800GTS 640MB with 112SP's, I'm running CoD4 EVERYTHING maxed @ 1920x1200 with absolutely no chop, and I never break 512 of my video memory. The 8800GT is almost exactly the same as my card, except it's the g92 instead of g80, single slot cooler instead of dual, and it has a faster clock speed. You'll only need one.

Edit: the rest of the specs of my system are at the bottom of my sig. It's similar to yours, except you can definitely OC your CPU more (you dont notice much difference past 2.8 in games) and if you REALLY need to get more ram, it's stupid cheap right now. $26 for 2 gigs.

EDIT #2: I just read the for sale forums. You got a good deal :) Enjoy!

Maxed as in 4-8x AA and 16x AF?

Maxed as in 4-8x AA and 16x AF?

Anything I could manually set in the options I set to the maximum value allowed. Including AA=4x, AF=16x (I think AA is at 4x and not 8x, cause that's all it would let me set it to.)

I used the console command (which I forget now) to display fps, and I think I was averaging 40-70 depending. On INTENSE action, like air strikes and smoke and heavy fire all at once, it would dip to ~30.

Edited by DarkArchon

That is good to know then. NOFX has a 28-inch so the GTX will suit him better considering he will not want to upgrade again any time soon and will want a system that can handle the new stuff coming out too. All I play is TF2 so I will grab a cheap 8800gt and be content with that.

That is good to know then. NOFX has a 28-inch so the GTX will suit him better considering he will not want to upgrade again any time soon and will want a system that can handle the new stuff coming out too. All I play is TF2 so I will grab a cheap 8800gt and be content with that.

Doesn't it depend on resolution instead of screen size? I mean, I'm running 1920x1200, so whether that's on a 17" or a 28" it's the amount of pixels to process that matter? Not that I disagree at all, I just mean 24" or 28" makes no difference.

Yeah, I played TF2 and with everything maxed it was smooth too. 1920x1200, AA+AF and HDR on full too. :) An 8800GT will do you just fine! I think it's only Crysis that makes video cards hiccup right now (for FPSs).

Doesn't it depend on resolution instead of screen size? I mean, I'm running 1920x1200, so whether that's on a 17" or a 28" it's the amount of pixels to process that matter? Not that I disagree at all, I just mean 24" or 28" makes no difference.

Maybe since the pixels are larger on the bigger screen might just be harder to push. :prplwacko: The 28" has same rez as a 24"? Don't seem to make sense to me. I wouldn't mind going from my 22" to a 24" just to get some extra pixelage not to just make em bigger.

Maybe since the pixels are larger on the bigger screen might just be harder to push. :prplwacko: The 28" has same rez as a 24"? Don't seem to make sense to me. I wouldn't mind going from my 22" to a 24" just to get some extra pixelage not to just make em bigger.

I thought you were the old blind man complaining that he couldn't see stuff on his new 22"??? :biglaugha:

I thought you were the old blind man complaining that he couldn't see stuff on his new 22"??? :biglaugha:

Na I was complaining about the slow nature of LCDs causing motion blur is my only complaint. Starting to get used to it, just wish they were as fast as CRTs.

For the past couple of years you can buy LCD's without the motion blur. Mine is at least 2 years old and gets none.

Yeah the motion blur was mostly due to 12+ ms (black to white) response times, only a very slight percentage of people still see motion blur sub 12ms and in their cases they will probably always see it.

well, I got the 8800gtx up and running. It looks like the best settings for me is 1600x1200. Everything on high, without AA or AF.

I still stutter just a little bit, this game uses alot of memory. It reminds me of playing Desert Combat back in the day with only 1 gig of ram. Maybe it's time to drop in another gig or two.

Right now here's my setup

e6550@2.53Ghz

8800GTX

2 gigs of DDR2

28" LCD.

I need to raid up some raptors and she will be a beast... a beast I say

Edited by NOFX

Been tweaking it today.. Overclock the card, set it to optimal settings, turn off AA and AF, change resolution to 1920x1080 and it runs perfect(havent seen it drop into the red FPS yet) and with very little stuttering.

Edited by NOFX

You can leave AF on as it is pretty much a free image quality enhancement with modern day cards. Depending on the game, you can get away with 2xAA with little to no performance hit. Often time, turning down shadows from "ultimate" or 'best" to "medium" will result in a greatly increased fps gain with little to no IQ loss. By the way, that card chewed up Crysis and Bioshock without breaking a sweat at 1680 x 1050 4xAA and 8xAF on my system.