Try Ubuntu by installing within Windows

ZeroDamage

In April, the next version of Ubuntu will be going official (8.04) and it will have the ability to install like any other Windows application. You can still dual boot and all but there will be no partitioning of the hard drive and if you do not want to use it anymore, you can just uninstall like any other Windows application. I haven't tried this myself but it does look very promising.

You can read more about it here at Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080...04-alpha-5.html

You can download the latest Alpha release if you want to try it out. Just keep in mind that this is only an alpha and it will probably have some bugs and issues with it. I personally do not put the latest release on my system until it hits RC1 status.

You can get the ISO from here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hardy/alpha-5/

cool!

I love showing off some of the graphic stuff from Ubuntu to my friends. If I could get a couple of things to work in it I would never run windows.

What's not working for you?

Keep in mind that this is still in alpha stage so do expect some bugs and lots of updates as they fix stuff.

Just to clarify ZD's comment, This version of Ubuntu allows you to install it while in windows. It creates an image of a drive inside say "C:\Program Files\Ubuntu\" and sets up a boot menu. This is still just dual booting, but much easier (at least if it lives up to it's hype). When I first read ZD's comment, I thought he meant it would run Ubuntu under Windows, i.e., as a virtual machine using qemu or xen. But no, it's just a much more simplified way of dual booting Windows and Ubuntu and not bunging up your hdd with ext2 and ext3 partitions.

Cong, I've been using it for about 3-4 years now. What exactly are you having problems with? I suggest going to www.ubuntuforums.org and searching there. It's one of the most complete and friendly community I have ever seen.

Clueless, what wireless card do you have? If it's the ipw3945abg, you're in luck.

http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/

Edited by dwEEziL

Just to clarify ZD's comment, This version of Ubuntu allows you to install it while in windows. It creates an image of a drive inside say "C:\Program Files\Ubuntu\" and sets up a boot menu. This is still just dual booting, but much easier (at least if it lives up to it's hype). When I first read ZD's comment, I thought he meant it would run Ubuntu under Windows, i.e., as a virtual machine using qemu or xen. But no, it's just a much more simplified way of dual booting Windows and Ubuntu and not bunging up your hdd with ext2 and ext3 partitions.

Cong, I've been using it for about 3-4 years now. What exactly are you having problems with? I suggest going to www.ubuntuforums.org and searching their. It's one of the most complete and friendly community I have ever seen.

Clueless, what wireless card do you have? If it's the ipw3945abg, you're in luck.

http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/

Just says Broadcom 802.11g wireless adapter, I cant seem to find any more detailed info than that :(

Dweez...are you able to write...lets say, a usb driver for linux? specifically for device called Serato Scratch Live (SSL)? It's the only reason I can't use Ubuntu as my main boot on my laptop atm. I can get the program itself to run fine in Wine but without the linux driver it's useless (and the developer/manufacturer has already said they would not release the source code). I searched the Ubuntu forums and get the same response I get everywhere else, someone has to make the driver...I've tried myself but it's quite an inbalance of my time spent (learning how to write linux drivers lol) and what I'll get out of it.

I do see this program called Xwax floating around, but hear mixed reviews as well as that it doesn't include a file browser/organization interface, so it's pretty useless for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What is the benefit of using Ubuntu?

It is free. The software you use on it is free. It is more secure. It is more efficient and runs quicker than XP on my older machine. If you do not have multiple monitors, it is ok because Linux has multiple desktop work spaces built in. Lots of reasons, these are just a couple off hand.

What is the benefit of using Ubuntu?

It is free. The software you use on it is free. It is more secure. It is more efficient and runs quicker than XP on my older machine. If you do not have multiple monitors, it is ok because Linux has multiple desktop work spaces built in. Lots of reasons, these are just a couple off hand.

but does it run counter strike?

that is all i need to know.

Wow, check out this theme. I love it. So slick. Reminds me of the default theme for Ubuntu Studio.

screenshot1nj8.png

screenshot2ep8.png

screenshot3dc9.png

The theme also applies to Firefox and the system menus which cannot be grabbed in a screen shot it seems.

Edited by ZeroDamage