Handgun advice

Laz.e.rus

Don't buy anything Russian or Chinese. They make them cheap and they almost all have a ton of issues. If you see a brand that you have never heard of avoid it. Ruger, S&W, Colt, Sig, H&K, Taurus, Browning, Weatherby, Winchester, Beretta, Glock, Remington, Walther, Magnum Research, and Mauser are all quality manufacturers of handguns. There are a few guns by each of them that suck but you won't get stuck with some piece of crap that is falling apart on you after a year. Do a little research (like you're doing) before you buy. Don't let some guy at a gun store talk you into a gun you were not there to buy. There are two kinds of gun shops, the one that is there for your future business and the one that wants todays money right now and screw you for the future. So be careful listening to the shop owners, as they may just want you cash.

Ty the glock is great and dependable in all kinds of situations but it is deadly on large hands. That stupid design of theirs rips up my hands. I had a 19 and it had only been fired maybe 20 rounds because of that when I sold it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its about shot placement not the caliber. The correct ammunition in a 9mm will stop any bad guy coming for you.

For what it is worth, when I took my CCW class the instructor recommended a 45acp for the reason that you don't have time for shot placement when a bad guy is coming at you. In fact we had to fire with out aiming at different ranges at a fast firing rate, which I still do today when I'm at the range.

My CCW instructor said the direct opposite of what yours said.

It all depends on your outlook, I have embraced it and now don't see it as so much of a problem as an alternate fuel source. ;)

Did the entire United States just have an epiphany or was it just me? :biglaugha:

(why did that just remind me of that Futurama episode where all the robots have to vent at the same time to shift the Earth's orbit around the sun?)

its about shot placement not the caliber. The correct ammunition in a 9mm will stop any bad guy coming for you.

Agreed mossad However if you miss and its a big guy your done.

It doesn't always have to be about shot placement with the right caliber and load.

Read some of the data that Massad Ayoub includes in his books on tactical use of handguns for self defense.

A hydrostatic shock type of round (e.g. many of the JHPs out there with high velocity) in LARGER calibers (.357, .45...) will knock down, and knock out/disable an attacker with any torso shot that strikes an organ that is dense or has a high water content (liver, lungs, bladder, etc...).

Because dense organs are usually high in water content, and water cannot be compressed, the round create pressure waves that ricochet around the body cavities, waves of pressure, causing embolisms, and unconsciousness.

So, and med/high power 9mm that strikes a non-vital zone (I know your argument is shot placement) is less likely to cause damage that stops the aggressive activity of the attacker than a .45 in the same spot.

But, that said. If you are accurate and steady under pressure, most rounds can be a 'one shot, one kill/disable' round.

I've done speed drills and self-defense/under duress training, and I can hit torso 95% of the time at 15 yards with my .45, but not my .40 (lighter weight pistol, more recoil). I would rather hit with .45 than .40 or 9mm.

Agreed mossad However if you miss and its a big guy your done.

It doesn't always have to be about shot placement with the right caliber and load.

Read some of the data that Massad Ayoub includes in his books on tactical use of handguns for self defense.

A hydrostatic shock type of round (e.g. many of the JHPs out there with high velocity) in LARGER calibers (.357, .45...) will knock down, and knock out/disable an attacker with any torso shot that strikes an organ that is dense or has a high water content (liver, lungs, bladder, etc...).

Because dense organs are usually high in water content, and water cannot be compressed, the round create pressure waves that ricochet around the body cavities, waves of pressure, causing embolisms, and unconsciousness.

So, and med/high power 9mm that strikes a non-vital zone (I know your argument is shot placement) is less likely to cause damage that stops the aggressive activity of the attacker than a .45 in the same spot.

But, that said. If you are accurate and steady under pressure, most rounds can be a 'one shot, one kill/disable' round.

I've done speed drills and self-defense/under duress training, and I can hit torso 95% of the time at 15 yards with my .45, but not my .40 (lighter weight pistol, more recoil). I would rather hit with .45 than .40 or 9mm.

Im gonna have to go with this post. I would rather know the round I let lose down range even if off is gonna disable the person. FTR Lets all hope none of us ever have to use these skills being discused. It will change your life in a pull of the trigger.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, bought one. Ill pick it up after the waiting period and Fed check thing is over.

I bought a Ruger P90 .45. Case, 2 clips.

$339.

I loved the grip on this one. Large enough for my hand too. 4.5" barrel.

It was either this, or a Taurus .45 for $399. But the Taurus had a little smaller grip and a slightly shorter barrel. I didnt wanna deal with that with a .45.

BTW- No Laz+P90 jokes. Not the same P90 guys.......

Edit: On looking close at the pics, it appears to be the TH exclusive model with the special grips. They could be aftermarket grips on mine, but the gun color also matches this one in the pic.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAP...03&return=Y

Well, bought one. Ill pick it up after the waiting period and Fed check thing is over.

I bought a Ruger P90 .45. Case, 2 clips.

$339.

I loved the grip on this one. Large enough for my hand too. 4.5" barrel.

It was either this, or a Taurus .45 for $399. But the Taurus had a little smaller grip and a slightly shorter barrel. I didnt wanna deal with that with a .45.

BTW- No Laz+P90 jokes. Not the same P90 guys.......

Edit: On looking close at the pics, it appears to be the TH exclusive model with the special grips. They could be aftermarket grips on mine, but the gun color also matches this one in the pic.

Great choice!

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, I know you've got the one you were looking for, but if you are ever interested in a really good 9mm, I'd go with a CZ75. CZ is a Czech-made gun (strangely enough) that is really well-made, has a really nice, smooth action and hardly any wrist-kick, so you can get back on-target more quickly for a second round. You could ask Dtaj about them as well, but I've shot them and they are the best 9 I've used. Period.

Picked up my P90 yesterday. Its not the exclusive P90TH, but has the same aftermarket grips I linked to a pic of above.

Cleaned it up good today ( was pretty residued inside) and Im taking it out tonight. Its seen some use, but Im not complaining with the $339 price tag on it.

So far, love the size/weight/grip and mechanics.

We'll see if IT likes ME tonight.

I think its a KP90 though. Any gurus know what is different other than coloring?

My gun looks exactly like this (KP90 image NOT KP90D). Youll notice the slide says P90 not KP90 on it

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAP...22&return=Y

Except is has these grips:

But, the standard P90 pictured here:

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAP...02&return=Y

looks exactly like the Kp90 except for coloring.

So, I have to guess I have a kp90. I dont know anyother way to tell. Do you guys?

Edit: hahahah scratch that. Theres an old sticker on the side of the case half under the pawn shops sticker (assuming its the original case!!) that says KP90. Thats enough evidence for me.

I would rather know the round I let lose down range even if off is gonna disable the person.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I don't know how you can ever think that. YOU are responsible for EVERY round that comes from your weapon, if you are a little off...and there are other people around that can be catastrophic and land you in JAIL for years.

Well, I took it out last night.

I have to say, I love this gun. I feel very comfortable with it. I still need a lot of practice with it though. I was grouping about 12" at 15 yards and 14+ at 20 yards. I can tell that I will be much better with it after some more practice and familiarity with it. I like the sights too. I put about 35 rds thru it last night and caught myself jerking at the pull towards the end, so I decided it was time for a break. Has a pretty good kick, but less than I'd expected or worried about. I was decent at getting back on target quickly.

The wifey fired a couple clips too. She likes it, but said it was a little much for her as far as recoil.

All in all, thanks for all the advice guys! I love it!

Side note: I noticed that many of the .45s out there had larger capacity magazines. But I went with this one for price, name, and the fact that I really liked how it looked and felt. This one has 7+1 capacity, and as it turns out, thats the maximum capacity you can take in the field for hunting in Michigan, so I was pretty happy about that too.

I would rather know the round I let lose down range even if off is gonna disable the person.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I don't know how you can ever think that. YOU are responsible for EVERY round that comes from your weapon, if you are a little off...and there are other people around that can be catastrophic and land you in JAIL for years.

You misread, he's saying that even if he's al ittle off he would be more confident knowing that the round would still have knock down power regardless of his crappy aim lol.