am i too mean?

stutters

my girlfriend and i have been living together for almost a year. i'm living on college wages, she works part-time at a salon. neither of us have a lot of extra money.

she's got a nasty habit of always being cold, which first lead to our heat being cranked. i put a stop to that by getting her an electric blanket. now she ALWAYS leaves the electric blanket on.

i don't care about the fire hazard, whatever. we split bills 50/50, and she's like 3 months behind on her gas and electric. even with other perks, it's time to pony up some money.

i hid the control to her electric blanket and am holding it hostage until i'm paid. is that too mean? :spin2:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd try a different approach

funny-pictures-black-cat-invisible-text-message-breakup.jpg

funny-pictures-moose-jet-planes.jpg

for srsly, if you're in tight financial straights, I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask her to try to catch up a little on her share. If you value your life/unmentionables I wouldn't mention the amount of time you've been keeping track, but splitting the bills means 50/50. If she's not holding up her end she should not have a problem with you requesting that she follow through.

(edited)

Play the "you're just exploiting me and you refuse to pay because you don't love me" card.

I'm 100% serious. It might work, depending on the kind of person.

Doing things abrasively causes fights, so try to get her to feel guilty/responsible subliminally.

Edited by Saris

GC Alumni

you guys are right. i'm taking a harder approach. i just got off the phone with the credit card company and bank. i've put a freeze on all of her accounts. i've also disconnected her cell phone.

if this keeps up, i'm going to call in a favor from one of my meter maid friends and get her car booted. screw this, it's on.

guys. this is a serious post. very serious business. thanks.

The internet is serious business.

you guys are right. i'm taking a harder approach. i just got off the phone with the credit card company and bank. i've put a freeze on all of her accounts. i've also disconnected her cell phone.

if this keeps up, i'm going to call in a favor from one of my meter maid friends and get her car booted. screw this, it's on.

I call dibs on his iphone

ahh, sj, i think you're going to far. YOU SHOULD TALK TO HER FIRST!
how am i supposed to talk to her? i already turned her phone off.

I wouldn't of been so rash and done that. You should of talked to her as soon as you would see her today. Remind her that she is behind and that you can't afford to pay for all the rent etc... A question for you now, Are both of your names on the lease?