Going to China!

Mossad

Well today I was informed by the USAG (USA Gymnastics) that I've been part of the national staff selected to go to China with our athletes. I won't be doing a whole lot of coaching while I'm there, more behind the scenes stuff with practices, nutrition and other stuff. I'm pretty excited to be going even though I don't think either of my athletes competing at the Olympic trials will make the team (hopefully in 4 more years), but its pretty awesome considering I've only been part of the national coaching staff for a little more than a year.

So who here has actually been to China? Any suggestions would be appreciated!! It looks like I'll have about 2 weeks of free time to do what I want so I would love any help!

That's awesome...wish I could go! Pretty sure Bushmaster lived in Shanghai (?...why do I think Shanghai? Am I way off base?) for a year and a half, I'll bet he'll be around soon to toss some pointers your way.

Be safe, something tells me this isn't going to be your run of the mill Olympics.

I have some friends who've lived in China. They say it's a beautiful country...just don't use the internet to post things you don't like about China while in China (or before going to China).

Congrats by the way!

been to shanghai and hong kong, with HK being right before China took control again, so was almost like being in a very busy american city. shanghai was more old school, but had the luxury of a "guide" if you will who took us around, etc. would have been very hard by myself as little is in english. you carry around hotel business cards that you hand to the driver to get home, same with most of the restaurants.

post any specific questions or PM

enjoy! I loved it there. (probably a little over a month total between the 2 cities)

Congrats! That should be a trip of a lifetime! Have some friends that go back to china every once in awhile (family there) and some that have gone on vacation... but they pretty much did the tourist thing. Good thing about the olympics is that they will have tons of people to help around speaking all languages.

I've been to China, Dalian City to be exact. I thought it was a great experience. It was a beautiful city (once the smog burned off). Its right on the coast so they have some amazing sea food. Mini Me is right, keep a business card of your hotel close by, that is about the only way to get around. As with any new place experiment, try different foods, avoid the tourist traps and see as many sights as you can! :D

(edited)
21cc457e86c72b490de3a82810f6a18f.jpg

oh my that is awesome..

Yeah sometimes in China you have to drink beer out of the bag.. J/k, but that pic was funny because that is the beer I drank in China.

Dalian is awesome Slaughter. Great (clean for China) city with great food and view of the sea.

Mo is right I spent 1.5 yrs working in Shanghai. I traveled a lot while I was there though, Beijing, Xian, Qingdao, Mudanjiang, Hangzhou, Harbin, ect..

As people said make sure you keep a business card for the hotel you are staying at. I assume that you will be going to Beijing, if that is the case I had a lot of bad experience's there dealing with taxi's. Most of them will charge 10 times more than the real cost because you are a westerner.

If you have more specific questions PM me. I could go on and on.

Edited by BushMaster