Help With Gears of War PC

lousiest

Anyone played GoW PC on XP? Erodes told me he was able to play it on Vista after killing all other background processes. I'm running on XP SP 2. I've updated the game to the latest patch that was released on March 3rd 2008.

After installing the patch, the problems start:

The game crashes and exits to Windows right before the main menu. While launching the game (by clicking startup.exe on my desktop), I get the error message "Click Startup.exe to run" <_<

Or if anyone got it to run on Vista, please let me know how too, even if you had to do what Erodes did. If this is the case, I might just switch to Vista... urghh

Thanks a lot in advance

I played 1/2 way through this game in vista, and didn't have to do a thing to get it working. 1/2 way through though, it crashes at a certain point every single time, no matter what I did. I also got the glitch where you lose ALL of your saved games (ie it just deletes them for some reason).

I quit after trying to get it to work for a couple days. I think if I switched to dx9 it might have worked, but I wanted to figure it out then got lazy. I was going to try it in xp myself though... hmmm...

Anyway, yeah, it just worked perfect for me in vista (up to that one point). Sorry, that's not much help.

I've never had any problems with the amazing graphics on Gears of War on the PC... they just showed up as amazing and the game worked right away :D

That's funny, I never had a problem with that either...

I defy you to tell me you can see a difference between my 360 on my 50" 1080p TV vs. your computer. Don't even try that card with me :P

(edited)

PC version would look better because Gears of War came out before the 360 supported 1080p so it only upscales 720p to 1080p, not true 1080p. A handful of games have true 1080p support, and Gears of Wars is not one of them.

Edited by VooDooPC

I've never had any problems with the amazing graphics on Gears of War on the PC... they just showed up as amazing and the game worked right away :D

That's funny, I never had a problem with that either...

I defy you to tell me you can see a difference between my 360 on my 50" 1080p TV vs. your computer. Don't even try that card with me :P

Actually they updated the graphics when they ported it, so it does look better :P AND they gave us new levels.

Edited by DarkArchon

(edited)

I still don't think you would be able to tell a difference without sitting 2 feet from the screen. PC version does have the new levels which are tempting but not worth the extra money or convenience of the console imo.

and yes, I knew gears was not native 1080p, but it is nearly flawlessly upscaled by xbox and my TV and again, it's very hard to see a difference. My version also never crashes, always looks awesome, and doesn't randomly delete my saves. I'm not continuing this debate any further as it's not constructive and is not addressing lousiest's question.

[back on topic]

I don't know this for a fact, but I believe that the 360 ports over to PC that MS is doing are meant to be played on Vista. It wouldn't surprise me if they've been "broken" for XP. Chances are there's some patch out there that should solve your problems though.

Edited by boilersax

PC version would look better because Gears of War came out before the 360 supported 1080p so it only upscales 720p to 1080p, not true 1080p. A handful of games have true 1080p support, and Gears of Wars is not one of them.

mega%20fail%20post.jpg