Totally thinking about buying this.

I've been wanting to buy a TV for a while so I can play consoles in my room or watch TV without it being in a little window or stretching to my full monitor resolution. I've been looking at this TV:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN26A450C-26...ref=dp_ob_title

I have been watching the price for a few months. The MSRP used to be $750 and it was like, "Save 100" dollars, so it was around 650 dollars on Amazon. Then the MSRP dropped to $650 and the price on Amazon stayed the same, so I figured the price would drop even more, and it did. So then it went down to about $625 on Amazon. A few days ago, for some reason, the MSRP jumped up to 850 dollars, now it says, "Save 243 dollars", and the price is $606. It has been going down a few dollars every few days. Today it is $606, yesterday it was $609, last week it was $615.

My question is, should I wait for the price to go down more or is this a good enough deal to buy it now? Is there anything out there that is a better deal?

I plan on using it as a monitor with a DVI to HDMI connector. I use Windows Media Center on my computer to watch TV and I like being able to record and pause stuff, so I will still probably use my computer to watch TV through the TV (strange, I know). I also planned on buying a PS3 in a few months which I would connect with HDMI aswell. I tried using a VGA cable for the 360 to connect to my monitor but the image was stretched. I think a PS3 would do the same thing. The only downside to using a 720P TV as a monitor is that the screen resolution would be much lower. I don't know what kind of unforeseen effect this would have besides games would be at a lower resolution (can fix with AA I guess) and not as much would fit on my desktop (web pages and stuff).

If it matters, this is what I am using as a monitor now: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SyncMaster-2...5503&sr=8-1

Yeah that's a pretty good deal. At the same time however you can probably get a 24-26" LCD monitor at 1920x1200 for just a bit more, but at that price point they won't have the scalers necessary to be used as a TV (with digital cable or 360/PS3) so I can see why you wouldn't consider one.

The one thing you want to ask yourself is if you think you might ever want to get a bigger TV in the next couple of years. The way the prices are going you'll probably be able to get a 42" 1080p panel from Samsung for under $1000 by the end of the year.

If that's the size you're decided on you really can't go wrong.

My room is too small for anything much bigger. I might be able to go to 32ish but anything above that would probably cause me to go blind.

Ok I was thinking that...yeah, definitely the best TV of it's size and for sub $600 it's a steal. Don't know if you have any independent TV stores close to you as they will sometimes slash prices just to get your business away from the internet, might want to shop around a bit...otherwise get it.

can't you get a dell 24" for about that price? my dell scales quite nicely to the 720p of my satellite... haven't actually plugged a console in ever but with all the inputs the 24" has i wouldn't be concerned.

(edited)
can't you get a dell 24" for about that price? my dell scales quite nicely to the 720p of my satellite... haven't actually plugged a console in ever but with all the inputs the 24" has i wouldn't be concerned.

UltraSharp 2408WFP? It has a resolution of 1920x1200 which means it can do 1080p and the monitor itself has internal scaling?

Dell has it on their site for $679, no place I regularly shop at online has it.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...&lid=628335

I didn't know they even made monitors with HDMI plugs, this will save me a lot of money if I can get it on the cheap.

Edited by VooDooPC

I decided against getting a TV now because the only thing a TV can't do that my monitor can do is work for consoles because it was no 1:1 pixel mapping, which means a stretched image. If I get a monitor with that and an HDMI plug I should be set. I am now looking at the BenQ G2400W, which has 1:1 pixel mapping, HDMI, and is much cheaper than the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP. It also seems pretty well received from what I have read on the internet. Sorry Cujo. :D

(edited)

yeah looks nice. I have always thought Dell branded products were more hype than reality and always more $ than needed. I do suggest wall mounting it though. The 22" + monitors tend to be a little unstable on the little stands they have when used in a PC environment.

I have this one http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=XPT006&cat=MON

It'll also be good if you do decide later to up it to a 32"

Edited by Preacher

This is my set-up as it is right now:

050408_0059.jpg

You can see the reason I can't go very big or have a wall mount. Unless I get a pivotal wall mount and attached it to the left of my window which would be totally sweet. With a pivotal wall mount I could turn it towards my bed as well which is behind me and to my left in this picture. I have no free walls in my room besides that one in the corner really. Only other free wall is over my bed. Which means no flat mount. :(

I decided against getting a TV now because the only thing a TV can't do that my monitor can do is work for consoles because it was no 1:1 pixel mapping, which means a stretched image. If I get a monitor with that and an HDMI plug I should be set. I am now looking at the BenQ G2400W, which has 1:1 pixel mapping, HDMI, and is much cheaper than the Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP. It also seems pretty well received from what I have read on the internet. Sorry Cujo. :D

if you like small viewing angles and fewer inputs then go for it. i'll still take higher colour gamut and component vid for picture in picture any day.

kind of weak brightness on that model as well.

preach, the dell's are in no way over-hyped. my 2405 is still one of the best looking lcds i've seen. dell is repeatedly in the top 2 or 3 in any monitor round up. i'm talking the good models by the way and not the basic ones.

(edited)
See even in a TV thread Cujo can't help but to hype up the Dells rofl <3

buy a 2408 and if you're not happy with it i'll buy it off you for the price you paid.

voodoo, i've never understood strict budgets. especially when you're already spending a considerable amount on something. i apologize for trying to push it. a 24" monitor trumps a 26" tv any day as far as picture quality so i'm glad to see you looking at monitors.

Edited by Cujo

I was just reading the Dell forums and I was seeing a lot of bad stuff about red tints, input lag and 1/2 the screen being brighter than the other. Dell is asking people to wait for the A01 model to come out because people have so many issues. They said it's not coming out until May 20th though.

I have to have limits on how much I want to spend or when would I stop? I could say $720 is only $100 more than $600, then I could find something better that is $800 and say that's only $80 more than 720. Then I could find something that is $1,000 and say that's only$ 200 more than $800 and it snowballs and next thing I know I am buying a $12,000 OLED TV. :)

I have to have limits on how much I want to spend or when would I stop? I could say $720 is only $100 more than $600, then I could find something better that is $800 and say that's only $80 more than 720. Then I could find something that is $1,000 and say that's only$ 200 more than $800 and it snowballs and next thing I know I am buying a $12,000 OLED TV. :)

true but you get to a point where the increase in cost doesn't dramatically increase what you get. i'm a big fan of best bang for your buck. i rarely spend top dollar to get the best of the best but i never buy cheap stuff either. also, for me, as i'm on my computer 1/3 of the day i like to have as good as possible within reason.

I'll pimp the Dell 2408 too, because I have seen it in person and a little drool fell on the desk. I set my dad up with a 2405 (I think - it was almost a year ago) at his office to use for his computer monitor and high-def satellite box. I hooked the computer up to the DVI input and the sat box to component inputs, and he can work on his computer and have sportscenter PiP in the corner of the screen, in three different sizes no less! When in full-screen mode, the HD channels look awesome, although if you're sitting 2 feet from the monitor you can see some artifacts.

The 2408 that I have seen hasn't been hooked up like that though and since it's not mine I obviously can't hook my 360 up to it and take it for a spin. The Dell monitors ARE more expensive (the Ultrasharps are anyways) but they also offer better picture quality and features. The 2408 is absolutely gorgeous.

I'm with Cujo regarding budgets though. When I'm spending $200+ on anything, I want to make sure I do it right. I'm always looking for a good deal, but I'm willing to spend an extra $50-100 on something if there is going to be a noticeable difference in quality.

I set my dad up with a 2405 (I think - it was almost a year ago) at his office to use for his computer monitor and high-def satellite box. I hooked the computer up to the DVI input and the sat box to component inputs, and he can work on his computer and have sportscenter PiP in the corner of the screen, in three different sizes no less! When in full-screen mode, the HD channels look awesome, although if you're sitting 2 feet from the monitor you can see some artifacts.

haha, i had the same thing set up too. though i just moved and no sat at the new place (for now). nothing beats playing cs with the hockey game on in the corner. only problem was i couldn't see who was killing who. lol.