All inclusive?

Magruter

Who's done an all inclusive vacation before? Where'd you go? How long did you stay? pros and cons.. ..Taking the wife on vacation, all I want to do is eat, drink, swim and relax. If you been on a few where was your favorite?

Who's done an all inclusive vacation before? Where'd you go? How long did you stay? pros and cons.. ..Taking the wife on vacation, all I want to do is eat, drink, swim and relax. If you been on a few where was your favorite?

I did Cancun for my graduation...with 300 other students from Toronto (specifically)

Despite the craziness it was awesome (well the craziness made it more awesome, but wouldn't for you).

The food was good, I ordered room service for breakfast everyday, lunch at the buffet and a fancy dinner in the restaurant at night (all included). Not to mention the 3 bottles of tequila, 8 bottles of vodka, 4 bottles of yager and goldschlag respectively and countless coronas...I'd say it was worth the $2400 CAD back in 2000. It was 7days, really swanky resort in Cancun (compared to the other ones I saw).

I hate you...I wanna go now.

We did all-inclusive at the Sandals resort in Ocho Rios, Jamaica for our honeymoon. I think we were there just short of a week. Very nice not having to worry about paying for anything around the resort. Free drinks, food, everything there really. They even had free scuba diving and "resort course" certification (I think it was Class B, don't remember the specifics, 7 years ago). The resort we were at had 5 or 6 different restaurants with all different themes food wise. It wasn't a big deal where we were because the resorts were pretty much carved out of the slums so you really didn't want to leave the resort unless you were going somewhere specific. But if you go all inclusive I guess it could be a deterrant to seeing the sights because you want to get as much value out of your money for staying at the resort. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. We had a great time.

Bub, did you do any of the excursions? We are going in Oct to the sandals in st. lucia; and I saw that they have excursions that are not facilitated through sandals. However, you can sign up for them there.

(edited)

selfless promotion, my sister runs a travel agency and gets people pretty good deals. http://www.ytbtravel.com/dorey

I have done 2 of those type trips, both to Italy, both included Rome and Venice. 10 days first trip 7 the second. We had a fantastic experience the first time with literally zero problems and it was really cheap. The second trip we were very disappointed with the hotel in Rome, plus I was harassed by a Rome policeman and thoroughly searched for drugs, for no reason other than the fact that I was walking down the street at 2pm. weird and annoying but the rest of the trip was very nice.

Two pieces of advice:

1. Minimal luggage

2. largest airplane and shortest flight times (worth the extra especially if going to Europe).

If you are talking cruises, Everyone I have ever heard from says the Alaskan cruise is hands down the best. Norwegian is also one of the best lines but I have heard good stuff about the Princess lines too. Nothing but bad about Disney cruises and also the Carnival cruises are supposed to be less pleasant with worse service than the other two.

Edited by Preacher

If it was me I would go to TCI/BWI, and you can do the small island by yourself. Make sure you go check out S. Caicos. You stay at BEACHES, CLUB MED, OCEAN CLUB, and some others. All of them are on the main island of Providenciales, but you can take small planes or boats to the other islands and even go to Grand Turk.

S. Caicos has some of the best diving I have done anywhere in the world, if you can get there to dive it is well worth it. The other islands also have good diving, but S. Caicos is a perserve and is incredible condition.

I went to Sandals St. Lucia with my wife for our honeymoon, and it was AMAZING.

I can't think of a single con....none...except for, perhaps, how much all-inclusive resorts cost. St. Lucia was beautiful though--absolutely amazing. We opted to go there instead of Jamaica because we had friends that went to Jamaica, went into town, and ran into all kinds of badness. Most people don't, but I personally know two people that were mugged there. We figured that we wouldn't bother risking it, and St. Lucia was sweet!

We didn't go on any of the excursions though, but we stayed at the Grande and there was an old military fort on top of a mountain right next to it in walking distance. We toured that for the day. For the rest, there simply wasn't a single reason to go anywhere, the resort was that nice. :)

I went to Sandals St. Lucia with my wife for our honeymoon, and it was AMAZING.

I can't think of a single con....none...except for, perhaps, how much all-inclusive resorts cost. St. Lucia was beautiful though--absolutely amazing. We opted to go there instead of Jamaica because we had friends that went to Jamaica, went into town, and ran into all kinds of badness. Most people don't, but I personally know two people that were mugged there. We figured that we wouldn't bother risking it, and St. Lucia was sweet!

We didn't go on any of the excursions though, but we stayed at the Grande and there was an old military fort on top of a mountain right next to it in walking distance. We toured that for the day. For the rest, there simply wasn't a single reason to go anywhere, the resort was that nice. :)

ditto + excursions. Do 'em!!

2 that come to mind are the hike thru the tropical forests to the waterfall and the catamaran/snorkeling--go lite on the 'jungle juice'...

You mean light on the JJ as is like low cals on the JJ right, I mean high volume is still a must correct? :)

But really I would never go to Jamaica again, so if you do St. Lucia, very good choise, but TCI still has the best reefs and beach in the West Indies.