Digital Camera Help

lazarus

So my wife broke her old digital camera, which wasn't that old. But we bought it in St. Thomas on our honeymoon 2 years ago. I know absolutely zero about what makes a good digital camera.

First consideration, price: We will be stimulating the economy and using some our gov't check for a new camera. I want to spend less than $200, but MIGHT be willing to go to $300, if there is a large jump in quality.

Second, what she'll be using it for: She's an avid photographer, but it's only a hobby. She takes alot pictures of food , friends, and nature.

Third and final consideration: Something that I would like to have in the camera, is being able to capture a nice motion shot. Something that I hate is the delay in digital cameras. Between the time i hit the button, to the time the actual flash goes off, the thing that i wanted to take a picture of, has moved. I want instintaneous picture taking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The third consideration is tough to match with your first and second. An entry level DLSR would be perfect for your wife, if she doesn't mind a camera that isn't pocket-sized.

Try searching for a Canon Rebel or a Nikon D40 with a kit lens. NOFX found a Rebel XTi for about your pricerange, and that's a fantastic camera. You'll be able to get plenty of action shots that you can't get with point & shoot cameras, and the picture quality is way better. :)

If you're going to own one camera... I definitely recommend a pocket camera. A camera is worthless unless you can (or willing to) carry around.

I have the Canon SD750 and it's awesome. 3" lcd and the flash charges are very fast. I think they go for $190 or so now (it was $300).

I highly recommend.

Costco SD750

(edited)

first off, your not going to get instant shots unless you get a DSLR, if you save the correct search on ebay and monitor it, you may be able to pick up a DSLR for cheap. I picked up the Rebel xti for $299 without a lens.

I basically have the same camera as shoot does, except I have the SD800. Only difference is mine has a wide angle lens.

Check out Ken Rockwell's page about it. He recommends this series as the best pocket cams. I love mine. You get quite a bit of manual controls.

Here is a picture I took with it yesterday. Golf Ball

My dog Jake

Edited by NOFX

I have a Canon Powershot G9 and the thing is AMAZING. It has a tiny bit of shutter lag, but not terrible, and it starts up ridiculously fast. However, it's way above what you want to pay. I like it though, because it shoots in RAW format if I want it to.

My wife has an SD 870 also by Canon, and it's a pretty amazing camera as well. It's under the $300 you want to spend and I'd highly recommend it. It's been rated (several times) as the best compact you can buy. It does pretty well with motion and is fast on the shutter.

I have to say this though, they're right about the DSLR cameras. If she really wants to get into photography seriously, I'd buy a Canon Rebel or Rebel XTi. They're amazing cameras for the price, and are capable of professional level shots.

If you want to save even more money, I'd go with the SD 750. Canon, by the way, is the king of digital cameras right now, though the newer Nikons are pretty nice. If I were to buy a camera in your range though, I'd definitely go with the SD 870--it's hard to beat. (I recently researched digital cameras for about 2 months straight)

I'd say you're fine with the 850 or the 870. I haven't had personal experience with the 850 like I have the 870, but it's from the same series, and I imagine that it's pretty similar.

However, if you go with SLR, I would buy the Canon Rebel XT over the D40 any day. When doing my research, I found that D40 was a pretty good camera--a really good one, in fact. However, I also found that the Canon was a lot more durable and tended to last longer while taking the same quality photos. Also, it's pretty much the same price! :)

The D40 is the best entry level DSLR camera with kit lens. Best bang for your buck. I've been doing tons of research on lens today and I might have stumbled on some information you might be interested in dealing with the point and shoot cameras.

The Canon SD750-SD900 are basically the same camera and each has different perks. Some you may want and some you may not. If you decide to go with this line, I would make sure the camera had IS(Image Stabilization). Also see what I said above about the focal length of the lens, I like to do wide angle shots also, so I got the 800.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/?s=rank#models - Take a look here and see what the most popular canon cameras are.

But that D40 is much better than any of these point and shoots any day.

The lens that comes with the Canon is OK, but the one that comes with the D40 is better, I agree with NOFX there. However, I'd still by the Rebel because of the increased durability--I found this info out after talking to a few professional photographers I know. (well, 2 that I know anyway, and a couple of other guys at stores)

The Nikon is a great camera, but if your wife broke her last one, I'd take durability into consideration! :)

I still say the SD 870 IS is the best camera in that line, but you have to go with the features you like, and focal length is important. The imaging sensors in these cameras are all virtually the same, but I like the the 870's features, wide-angle, and form-factor the best out of 'em.

I bought my PowerShot G9 because I wanted something that was pretty close to DSLR quality but small enough that I can carry it around easily. I was originally going to buy a Rebel XTi, but decided that I needed a little more portability in a camera. Also, part of the big reason that I bought the camera is for work, and sometimes it is invaluable to be able to take movies at work, and the PowerShot G9 (as well as the SD 870 IS) do some of the best video taking I've seen out of a compact digital along similar lines.

You can't take video with DSLR, which is something I don't think we mentioned earlier that is also something to consider. If you want to go with something just a lil' cheaper than DSLR, but is still capable of shooting in RAW format, you can't beat the G9 in my opinion--it even has upgraded lens attachments and things. So, it's something else to consider if you're going to spend a lot of cash.

Hope we're being helpful! :)

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! It really has made this descision alot easier.

I talked it over with my wife and we will be purchasing the SD 850 or 870 this weekend. We came to this descision based on a few factors. One, we didn't really need a DSLR camera right now, it would have been nice, but not wise. Two, since it will be her camera, she wanted one that was a little more portable (we live in nyc and the amt you carry makes a big difference on quality of life). Third, we will definitely purchase a DSLR camera in the future, so I think she wants to spend more money on something nicer, instead of an entry level one.

Again thanks again to Mav, NOFX, Shoot, Preach and Unclean. You guys are the best!

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! It really has made this descision alot easier.

I talked it over with my wife and we will be purchasing the SD 850 or 870 this weekend. We came to this descision based on a few factors. One, we didn't really need a DSLR camera right now, it would have been nice, but not wise. Two, since it will be her camera, she wanted one that was a little more portable (we live in nyc and the amt you carry makes a big difference on quality of life). Third, we will definitely purchase a DSLR camera in the future, so I think she wants to spend more money on something nicer, instead of an entry level one.

Again thanks again to Mav, NOFX, Shoot, Preach and Unclean. You guys are the best!

No.. We're the bestest. Except maybe Mav.

Good luck and happy shooting. no pun intended.

(edited)

that is a great idea. All they need to do is take a canon camera, put it in a nice flat clean apple looking case and the masses would pay 2x for the same technology.

Edited by NOFX

that is a great idea. All they need to do is take a canon camera, put it in a nice flat clean apple looking case and the masses would pay 2x for the same technology.

hell, i bet you could go up to 3x the amount. maybe add some goofy apple symbols on it too and you'd be set to make some MONEY!

You guys are mean... Why don't you guys just rip my head off while you're at it.

I hate you all! (running away - crying inconsolably)

lol... (throws rocks at Shoot as he runs away into his corner)