Suggestions for a Mac Laptop

dwEEziL

Just because the Macbook can scale it's image to 1920x1200 doesn't make it usable...running 1920x1200 off a Macbook is like buying a sand pit in texas with the intentions of making an outdoor ice rink.

hook the macbook up to a monitor if you need the real estate. it's lighter to carry, it's less expensive, it can handle what she'll be doing, and you can dock it to a monitor.

Again, I'll stress that you need to make sure she would actually be OK with doing this. I know a LOT of people that aren't techy like we are that would find this solution to be inconvenient and too much of a pain to want to deal with.

Mav - I did check the resolutions of the MacBooks and the Pros - see my post above. I am still baffled that the best resolution they can give you is 1680x1050, and it's only on the 17" beast. srsly apple?

srs design folks use that other computer, what's it called. ah yes, a desktop.

2560 x 1600 on up to 8 displays. that might suffice.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

:D

Actually, BOTH our engineers here use Laptops--and we design machines that sell for up to 1.5 million dollars--they're pretty serious (they're also both PC's)

That being said, all of the design students I knew in college had both a desktop and a laptop--they primarily used their laptop as they could bring it to class.

Why can't Mac have hi-res laptops? The one I'm typing on is 1920 x 1200...anyway, get the max res Mac has to offer in the form of the laptop--I'd also go with the 17" screen if she can manage it. Like I said earlier, the more space the merrier...and sorry 'bout posting about checking the resolutions when you already did it... :shrug03:

:)

Seriously though--what's with the lack of resolution Apple?

Actually, BOTH our engineers here use Laptops--and we design machines that sell for up to 1.5 million dollars--they're pretty serious (they're also both PC's)
i stopped reading here.

come to think of it, i think i've seen some of their engineering work before:

IMG_0638.png

SJ, don't turn this into another Mac Vs. PC thread...really--they bought PC's because Solid Edge works best on PC's (I'm not sure whether it's Mac compatible) which is the engineering software that we use.

That being said, the person in this thread obviously needs a Mac 'cause that's what the applications call for that she will be running. So quit the Mac Vs. PC crap, and make some friendly suggestions! :)

Note how I haven't said "Screw the Mac, buy her a PC?" or something along those lines? She needs a Mac, she should buy a mac, and I still say go with the Pro, and I like ZD's suggestion for that (the Pro 1).

read my posts above. i've made friendly suggestions. i've also listened to PC guys try to advise a mac buy. == :bang:

- she's not going to gain anything with 2-3 more viewable (diagonal) inches, aside from weight.

- she doesn't need a dedicated video card to run entry level design apps.

- saving a parent a few hundred bucks who is already shelling out for tuition is a good thing.

not every purchase needs to be a bleeding edge, state of the art, screaming gaming machine. she needs a mac. the mac was recommended. i'd bet money the recommendation is so that they get comfortable using the poorly designed, counter-intuitive, unstable macos.

:D

Thanks Dweez!

All I'm saying is that I'd spend the extra couple hundred dollars for a lil' more juice and a lil' more screen were I buying it for my kid and the Pro 1 isn't outlandishly priced.

Just because I hate the Mac doesn't mean I don't know a little bit about them! :) (though, you definitely have more knowledge than I do about the almighty Mac)

i stopped reading here.

image001.jpg

i stopped reading here.

image001.jpg

:biglaugha: :biglaugha: :biglaugha: :biglaugha:

Actually since 2007 the 17" Macbook Pro has an optional screen that does 1920x1200 resolution. I honestly don't know why the 15" still only goes to 1440 (I had heard that with the LED's backlit screens you can get 1680 resolution but I can't find any support to that statement anywhere).

To be fair, I bought the Macbook Pro because I didn't think 13" was enough real estate space. After buying it and spending time with it and messing around with Macbooks I realized that 13" is a surprisingly good amount of space. I think I would have preferred a Macbook (or at least my wallet would have).

Let's be fair...99% of this laptop is going to be used for Myspace and Facebook. A refurbished, White Macbook is probably going to be everything she needs for the next 4 years. I am STILL happy with my 3 year old Macbook Pro (except that I busted the screen a little last week :sadface: )

If she REALLY needs the best specs then a Black Macbook is what she wants. The difference between a Black Macbook and a 15" Macbook Pro are a 256mb video card in the Pro vs. a shared video card, a 15.4" vs a 13.3" screen and a max (from the factory) hard drive of 250gb (non-Pro) vs 300gb (pro) and 1440x900 vs. 1280x800 resolution. That's it folks. Both can have a 2.4ghz processor (alright the Pro can have a 2.5ghz), both can max at 4gb of ram, both have 8x DVD burners, both run OS X just fine.

Well, it depends on the design software she's going to be using...if it's any 3-dimensional space stuff (like solid edge, and some interior design programs I've seen) she could use the non-shared video memory and the dedicated card...:shrug03:

Meh, it all depends on what she's REALLY going to be using it for I suppose.