New Computer Build

Demoner

(edited)

Okay basically this computer will be used for photoshop and your basic internet use email and web browsing. Spending limit around 500. Please no get a mac comments either. They are just looking for a computer that won't need to be upgraded in the next few years. He has a hard drive and dvd drive so no OS needed.

Edited by Demoner

Here are my recommendations for upgrades with a $500 spending limit and using existing hard drive and DVD drive:

Micro-ATX Case - $59.99

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $129.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz - $189.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - $83.99

Grand Total: $463.96 w/o shipping

You mentioned nothing of using an existing case, so I included one in my build and went with a micro-atx setup, since this won't be a high-power gaming setup. The case includes a 350w power supply, and given the usual quality of "throw-in" power supplies, I would consider throwing a better brand in there. That said though, I have built 4 business PCs with these cases and power supplies, and not had a single problem with any of them. The integrated graphics should also be fine for the usage you describe, although there's also a slot to add a dedicated card down the road if he wants. Unless he's going to be doing video/3D work I don't see a need for a dedicated card or for a quad core processor.

IF you will be using an existing case though, you can take the savings and bump up the processor to a Q9300 or change out the PSU for something with more well-known reliability.

Thanks for the recommendations Boiler. Yeah a little bit more cash would be wise for sure. However, this I think should get the job done. I don't think he expecting it to last 5 years I'm assuming about 3 years. Really to have a computer run well for 5 years I think isn't really possible unless you spend an arm and a leg.

first, your budget killed any opportunity for a mac plug. :D

second, you didn't say if they had a monitor or not, but bsax didn't include it in the price. third, are they going to be "using photoshop" or "using something like photoshop?" a photoshop license might eat all $500 that start. it's getting off topic (that's what i do best), but you may want to plug them with google picasa for simple photo editing, or maybe something w0w like http://a.viary.com

:wavey:

(edited)

no monitor needed. i just didn't want any unless posts saying get a mac instead cause originally i was told 1000 limit but then informed to 500. I'm not 100% on the details of the photo shop that they will be doing. Pretty sure though they already have the necessary software for that.

As far as build preacher, your build might actually be closer to what I was hoping for if you take out the harddrive and dvd drive as they already have those.

I would never go AMD/ATI for myself but to stick inside a $500 costs ceiling one must compromise if they want the PC for video editing. If you are dumping the hard drive and DVD drives I would double the RAM to 8GB and if they find more cash in the couch cushions I would upgrade the video card to this one , much better card and you save a little on the CPU ($55) when you get it as a combo.

If it's photoshop and NOT video editing (like the original post indicated) then you DO NOT need dedicated video. I have used that motherboard in two different builds using the on-board graphics, and it has been perfectly fine. If you're set on dedicated graphics, then you can throw in this:

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - $59.99

That wouldn't put you too far over budget from what I listed before, although I think I would change out the case to a slightly cheaper one and throw in a little beefier PSU.

While Photoshop is a "graphics" program, it's not video-intensive so faster processors and more ram are more beneficial than the difference between the on-board video from that motherboard and the mid-range of the 3650.

If he's wanting this to last him 4+ years, I would feel much much better getting higher quality parts (Asus MB over Biostar) and better processor (Intel over AMD) with upgradability for the future. You could probably squeeze that Sapphire 3650 into the budget now, which would be a fine way to spend the money, but if you went with just the base config I listed before you can still throw in a cheap graphics card down the road and throw in another 4GB of ram if needed.

I learned my lesson once about <$75 motherboards, and I will never, ever buy cheap on the MB again. I cannot recommend cheap parts like that. I also see zero reason to go with a larger ATX case for this application unless he has to have something crazy and fancy looking (in which case it would probably blow the budget anyways), so I recommend the micro-atx mini tower solution to save space since we're not talking about an uber-gaming rig.

If you want, I can pick a cheaper case plus better PSU combo, although it would push the cost slightly higher, making the HD 3650 a bit over the budget of $500.

For the money though, I don't think you can go better than that Asus MB, Intel CPU, and RAM combo I listed previously though.

Cheaper case than the one I listed? It's $19 and a 550watt PS is fine since they do not game or plan on running crossfire/SLI set-up.

yeah, but the case you picked is a ATX mid-tower, which is a lot bigger than needed for this build. I do like that PSU you chose though, 550W would be PLENTY of juice to run the setups we're talking about. I will say that with my recommended setup, if they are wanting to throw in that 3650 or something that they should definitely scrap the PSU in the case I posted and put in that coolermaster or something.

On the size thing, I personally think that if you're not going to be building a beast with multiple hard drives or high-end gaming parts that need better cooling/acoustics, then you ought to go micro-atx and save yourself some unnecessary space. Technically, with this build, you could even go SFF if you don't want to put that video card in - I like the micro-atx mini tower though because it gives you flexibility for future additions and it's still significantly smaller than a mid-tower.

Here are my recommendations for upgrades with a $500 spending limit and using existing hard drive and DVD drive:

Micro-ATX Case - $59.99

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $129.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz - $189.99

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - $83.99

Grand Total: $463.96 w/o shipping

You mentioned nothing of using an existing case, so I included one in my build and went with a micro-atx setup, since this won't be a high-power gaming setup. The case includes a 350w power supply, and given the usual quality of "throw-in" power supplies, I would consider throwing a better brand in there. That said though, I have built 4 business PCs with these cases and power supplies, and not had a single problem with any of them. The integrated graphics should also be fine for the usage you describe, although there's also a slot to add a dedicated card down the road if he wants. Unless he's going to be doing video/3D work I don't see a need for a dedicated card or for a quad core processor.

IF you will be using an existing case though, you can take the savings and bump up the processor to a Q9300 or change out the PSU for something with more well-known reliability.

that comp is way better then what i got now... but i mean.. ill sell ya my comp... and itll run anything good for the next 5 yrs... its got me a good 3-4 years.. its way out of date.. but i swear.. it runs everything fine.. i love it.