E3 2008

anonymo

I downloaded the new E3 trailers for Gears of War 2 and Resident Evil 5 on Xbox Live yesterday, so my pants were sufficiently soiled as well. IGN also has a hands-on article for GoW2 and Q/A for RE5. Must go read now.

The only thing that makes me sad about RE5 is that I can't use Wii controls for it. RE4 on Wii had just about perfect controls, I looooove that game.

I know nothing of this "Fallout" of which you speak, so I plead ignorance to the pants-soiling conditions. (Ok, I have heard of the series before but never seen/played it)

(edited)

I'm not looking forward to having that chick tag around with me the whole game. I miss the scary atmosphere of RE. The only scary part in RE4 was fighting Salazar's 'right hand'. Having someone fight alongside me will detract from that even more than Ashley did.

Otherwise, it looks completely awesome, though with a lot of stiff animations, the game still looks far from done if you ask me.

Oh, and Fallout is only for a certain type of gamer - I played it and I could NOT stand it, it's horrible. But for some people, it is a godsend.

Edited by Saris

(Oblivion + Bioshock) - (Oblivion/Stalker) = Fallout 3

I think I did my math right...

Oh, and Fallout is only for a certain type of gamer - I played it and I could NOT stand it, it's horrible. But for some people, it is a godsend.

At 1:46am I trust you were drunk enough to claim Fallout I/II is A: horrible and B: shares the same game mechanics as Fallout 3

I don't quite follow all of your math, but I HAVE seen the trailer from E3 since my original post.

Holy. Crap.

It looks VERY impressive. I haven't played Oblivion at all, but the premise sounds good. I LOVED Bioshock. I gave up on Stalker after about 30 minutes due to incredibly frustrating gun issues. (Of course now I feel like I need to reinstall it and give it another chance)

I'm actually a little glad that RE5 isn't coming out this year, because this fall/winter is already showing way to many awesome games for my budget to handle. Between Too Human, Dead Space, Gears 2, and others I'm forgetting off hand it's going to be crazy.

It's basically Oblivion with guns. Bioshock somewhat borrowed (this can be argued either way) some of the art styles from the original Fallout games. The premise is basically an RPG with weapons, much like Stalker but without the buggy online and lots more polish (not Polish, incase this confuses people).

Wait...you never played Oblivion?

<slowly reaches for stick>

It's basically Oblivion with guns. Bioshock somewhat borrowed (this can be argued either way) some of the art styles from the original Fallout games. The premise is basically an RPG with weapons, much like Stalker but without the buggy online and lots more polish (not Polish, incase this confuses people).

Wait, am I SUPPOSED to play Oblivion? Will I be shunned if I don't? I don't think I could take that.... please don't twist my arm to play another awesome game...

Wait, am I SUPPOSED to play Oblivion? Will I be shunned if I don't? I don't think I could take that.... please don't twist my arm to play another awesome game...

Yes, you were. It's a prerequisite for Fallout 3. You need a minimum of 100 hours logged in Oblivion until getting the keys to Fallout.

Fallout 1 and 2 are two of my favorite RPGs of all time. They were turn based combat rpgs about a post-apocalyptic world where humanity had mutated. An RPG with guns basically.

Oblivion is also one of the best RPGs ever simply for its VASTNESS (is that a word? Firefox spell check says it is) and free form nature.

If Fallout 3 is going to be a combination of Oblivon + Old Fallout games...greatest rpg ever made.

Also, Saris is crazy and wrong.

I just finished reading some of the "beginners" guide for Oblivion on IGN and my head is spinning. How the crap can I reasonably work with all these different skills and such? :freak3:

I'm seriously considering picking up a used copy of it on my way home from work, although I'm a little worried I'll be overwhelmed once I get into it.

Seriously, for your first time through Oblivion just go with a stealthy character that uses the bow and some magic. It's the easiest and most fun. You can ignore pretty much all of the abilities in the game if you want to.

(edited)

My favorite part of E3 was actually before it started. Before Microsoft's press conference Nintendo announced their new controller expecting Microsoft to announce a motion sensing controller. Then of course, here comes Microsoft's press conference and they didn't mention a single thing about a new controller. :D

Another one of my favorite moments was during Sony's press conference where they talked about great exclusive games for the PS3. All they mentioned was Metal Gear Solid 4, which is already out. Seems almost as if they changed it from Final Fantasy 13 at the last minute because of Microsoft's press conference the day before.

Overall though I think EA had the best press conference, I know how much people hate them but they didn't go on and on about numbers and sales. They brought out game developers to talk about their own games. They also didn't spend 1/2 their press conference talking about EA Sports.

As for games I have always been looking forward to Fallout 3, I love the three games that are already out and Oblivion. So even if it's "just Oblivion with guns" I couldn't be happier. I only wish they didn't use the bloody mess perk for the demo, makes all the limbs randomly fall off even when you shoot people in the face.

I am also looking forward to Dragon Age, Far Cry 2, Rage, Spore, Diablo 3, RedAlert 3, Left 4 Dead, Crysis Warhead, Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway, Mafia 2, Red Faction 3, Fable 2, Starcraft 2 and Alpha Protocal.

Games I couldn't care less about: Gears of War 2, Mirrors Edge, Final Fantasy XII, Resident Evil 5, Rockband 2, Guitar Hero World Tour, Halo Wars, Too Human, Soulcalibur IV, Resistance 2, Prince of Persia, Call of Duty: World at War, Killzone 2, Force Unleashed, and inFAMOUS

But most importantly, where's the new Flatout? :D

Edited by VooDooPC

I am also looking forward to Dragon Age, Far Cry 2, Rage, Spore, Diablo 3, RedAlert 3, Left 4 Dead, Crysis Warhead, Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway, Mafia 2, Red Faction 3, Fable 2, Starcraft 2 and Alpha Protocal.

Games I couldn't care less about: Gears of War 2, Mirrors Edge, Final Fantasy XII, Resident Evil 5, Rockband 2, Guitar Hero World Tour, Halo Wars, Too Human, Soulcalibur IV, Resistance 2, Prince of Persia, Call of Duty: World at War, Killzone 2, Force Unleashed, and inFAMOUS

I will never understand you Voodoo. Far Crap 2 Mafia 2 and Fable2 but you couldn't care less about Too Human, Force Unleashed or RE5. WHAT IS GOING ON IN THAT HEAD!? (Too Human is the closest to Diablo I've ever seen on a console, it's SICK...no magic obviously, but similar gameplay if you account for the fact you're using a controller instead of a mouse+kb)

Also, did anyone else notice Id games signing up with EA? I can't believe this isn't getting more attention.

I will never understand you Voodoo. Far Crap 2 Mafia 2 and Fable2 but you couldn't care less about Too Human, Force Unleashed or RE5. WHAT IS GOING ON IN THAT HEAD!? (Too Human is the closest to Diablo I've ever seen on a console, it's SICK...no magic obviously, but similar gameplay if you account for the fact you're using a controller instead of a mouse+kb)

Also, did anyone else notice Id games signing up with EA? I can't believe this isn't getting more attention.

Yeah, a lot of his "care less" games are ones I'm most looking forward to. Maybe that's because I enjoy console gaming, and Gears of War 2, RE5, Too Human, and Prince of Persia are console oriented (or exclusive). I'm really thinking I'm going to have to break my moratorium on buying games for Too Human, it's just too much darn fun.

About the EA/id thing: I saw that with the Rage announcement, but I'm under the impression it's just a publishing deal for that one game only, not like EA buying Bioware or something.

Speaking of which - I need SOMETHING telling me when I can get my hands on Mass Effect 2. Give me a teaser trailer, screenshot, ANYTHING. I popped in Mass Effect last night and all those warm fuzzy memories from 5 months ago came flooding back. I've put in roughly 110 hours into four playthroughs and three characters and have loved every minute of it.

I seriously don't know why I didn't like Fallout 2 (the only one I've played [and the best one, right?]). When I loaded it up, I loved the selection of stats and skills, but then I started playing and I was stabbing scorpions with spears and I was like "Ugh, this is boring". It didn't help that I'd already seen the ending from when my brother played it, so I know the game got better (the scream when you blow someone away with a bozar is still awesome today), but I couldn't get past the beginning.

Because stabbing scorpions with spears is somehow worse than every other rpg where you stab rats with knives in the beginning?

I mean, at least with Fallout you could try to shoot someone in the eyeball to end a fight quick.

I actually preferred Fallout over Fallout 2.

Have you played the Too Human demo on Xbox live? It's pretty bad for a game that has been in development since 1999.

Gears of War 2 looks just like the original too me and I didn't really care for the first one. It had pretty graphics and had some nice parts (Keeping the spotlight on your partner while he walked down the street), but I felt a lot of it was just shooting guys popping out of Emergence Holes.

Force Unleashed looks good, graphics wise and physics wise. Gameplay wise it looks like a hack and slash like Devil May Cry or Ninety Nine Nights. Hitting guys 15 times with a light saber too kill them is not what I call fun, dare I say, not realistic. If was Dark Forces with those physics and those graphics I would love to play it, but it's not.

Resident Evil would be nice but it's a horror game, I'm not horrified by playing in the bright sunlight of Africa shooting people who are apparently zombies in the face. You still can't do things that every other third person game lets you do, like strafe or even really move while aiming. They have also only just now added weapon changing without going to a menu.

Most of these games I was looking forward too but the more I hear about them at E3 the less I interested I become until I get to the point where I just don't care anymore. Force Unleashed was one the games I was most looking forward to until I saw some real gameplay of it. Too Human sounded great and I was looking forward to it until I played the demo.

• 2 weeks later...
GC Alumni
(edited)

Eww... Too Human...

Played the demo and thought the controls were awful. No camera control when moving, right joystick to melee (huh?!), no easy targeting system, aiming with your gun is a chore in itself... only thing I liked about it was the glitch which lets you choose the locked classes.

I want them to announce a Dead Rising 2 or something.

Edited by JackieChan

I'm waiting for Alan Wake but will probably not see it this year. Was due first part of this year and then Remedy went dark and there hasn't been a lick of information for months on it. I love games like that. Sort of like Max Payne but with a horror element and who didn't like Max Payne I and II. Love a game (especially fps) that have a great story behind it. That's what made Bioshock and HL2 so damn good.

Eww... Too Human...

Played the demo and thought the controls were awful. No camera control when moving, right joystick to melee (huh?!), no easy targeting system, aiming with your gun is a chore in itself... only thing I liked about it was the glitch which lets you choose the locked classes.

You're doing it wrong.

Eww... Too Human...

You're doing it wrong.

Agreed.

I never had an issue with the targeting system and felt the controls were pretty much spot-on. Yeah, it takes a little getting used to the fact that right stick doesn't control the camera (and most people don't seem to realize that the LB will recenter the camera to the direction you're facing). I like the right stick melee, since it gives you a little more control for juggling, etc. I'm not sure how aiming with a gun is a chore since it pretty much does it for you. Can't say there were many instances where I wasn't shooting at something that I didn't need/want to shoot. Dual pistols + multiple targets hit at once = win.

Well, I'm trying to shoot something and I kill it and want to move to the next target. I try every possible button but it either didn't work or he turns around and shoots in the opposite direction.

I dunno... maybe this game doesn't like me... =\