bad vga cable on monitor

stutters

i sent my dad my old samsung 997df. seems like the cable is shot - depending on how you move it, the display color is either a black screen (not a lost signal), an off-white or all red. i can't seem to move it into a position where it stays clean, but if i hook up his older monitor, works fine. he got excited about going from a 15" to a 19", so i'd like to salvage it, if possible. as far as i can tell, the pins are all in line and accounted for, so i'm pretty sure it's the cable.

is this something that can be repaired, and/or is the cost going to come close to just buying a new monitor?

thanks!

wait... the vga cable is PERMANENTLY attached to the monitor?? Holy crappy designs, Steve!

I'll take the high road and not go the smart-arse route of saying "replace the cable". That would be beneath me.

** I just realized this is a CRT we are discussing, you may have options **

I'm sure you could get a "new" one online, but a quick googling says prices are around $180+ for new to new-ish.

I'm not sure, but if you cracked open the back of the monitor, would you find a standard (or semi-standard) vga connection-type thing, or would the cable be directly wired to the board? I've been using LCDs for so long that I don't remember exactly how the interface is, and I certainly never cracked open the case of a CRT since I obviously couldn't afford to fix it if I broke it back then.

IMO, depending on the age of the monitor, I don't think it would be worth paying to have it fixed, unless someone else here knows repair costs for a CRT better than I do.

Good luck!

(edited)

Find out where the short is, cut the wire and solder a new end on. thats what I would do. Whats the worst that could happen? You break a broken monitor? If it's in the monitor it may be a little tougher. Hell it may even be a bad vga connector(the plugs into your comp)

Edited by NOFX

GC Alumni

the tube is good, but i couldn't get the case off. i'm pretty wimpy, though. maybe i need a bigger hammer. we don't have a solder gun, and uh, don't think it would get used again here. maybe on my bike at home, but i've got one at home (@ my parents in michigan, visiting).

i'm shooting for something that wold be cheaper than paying to have it recycled...

You need to crack open that case. I know years of impenetrable white plastic has crippled your biceps so much that you can barely lift a poorly packed manila envelope but your only hope lies within that CRT casing. Use the force.

Be careful inside a CRT case. Those things have capacitors that will hold a pretty hefty charge for long after it's unplugged.

True, there's enuff juice stored in there to kill ya. If it's looks like a flux capacitor don't get near it. Really if you have no idea what your doing then do what my buddy did and use it for target practice.

shootdell.jpg