Do we have any chemical engineers?

MrDuke

I need a substance that gels in room temperature tap water (no heating to activate) AND isn't harmful to ingest.

Carbomers? Agar?

Pharmaceutics is a distant memory, right up there with the first 2 years of college.

If you read all that without snickering, +2 for you.

that is difficult to say since you also need it edible, balistic gelatin or fish based gelitin works at room temp but the balistic gelatin is very expensive. What are you trying to do here?

not necessarily edible, but not harmful if swallowed. I need to gelatinize a bitter apple mix for vet use.

How expensive and easy to acquire is the balistic gel? Cheaper forms? I'm still looking at the carbomer line. I don't know the difference between 940, 3323, etc.

I used to mix the stuff for firearms testing in the army, was some fun stuff but it isn't really the best for eating I wouldn't think. It's nasty looking anyway looks like yellowed fat, a little opaque. I never tested it to eat but it prolly wouldn't hurt you. As far as finding it, I have no clue.

Regular gelatin (Knox) in white and orange box will mix with cold water.

When using it in a recipe, you "bloom" it in cold liquid. The gelatin protein traps the liquid, thus thickening it. If you use a high gelatin to liquid ratio, the result is a mass that is not solid like set Jell-O, but not a liquid either. It is not dissimilar to the gel inside of a baby diaper when it has been exposed to liquid, if you've ever seen that. (actually, if you haven't, it is fun to experiment with).

Try the gelatin and see if it will work. Might need a bit of experimentation.

Sorry, you asked for a Chemical Engineer. I'm only a lowly Physicist, so forgive me for butting in. :)

Regular gelatin (Knox) in white and orange box will mix with cold water.

When using it in a recipe, you "bloom" it in cold liquid. The gelatin protein traps the liquid, thus thickening it. If you use a high gelatin to liquid ratio, the result is a mass that is not solid like set Jell-O, but not a liquid either. It is not dissimilar to the gel inside of a baby diaper when it has been exposed to liquid, if you've ever seen that. (actually, if you haven't, it is fun to experiment with).

Try the gelatin and see if it will work. Might need a bit of experimentation.

Sorry, you asked for a Chemical Engineer. I'm only a lowly Physicist, so forgive me for butting in. :)

I guess you'll do...

I'll whip up a few tests with the Knox, but I'm guessing I'll need something that forms more of a solid.

I never thought of diaper material... I'll try that tonight too.

Any comments on the carbomers? What's the diff between the suffixes?

I need something permanent.

what are you trying to do here?

that is difficult to say since you also need it edible, balistic gelatin or fish based gelitin works at room temp but the balistic gelatin is very expensive. What are you trying to do here?

not necessarily edible, but not harmful if swallowed. I need to gelatinize a bitter apple mix for vet use.

How expensive and easy to acquire is the balistic gel? Cheaper forms? I'm still looking at the carbomer line. I don't know the difference between 940, 3323, etc.

Can't you read nublet?

It started as a vet need, but has grown into something different.

Now the goal is: Add a solidifying agent (<--goal) to a 1 oz bottle, add room temp water, shake it, sip Coke and watch it turn into a solid.

Not a ball of fiberglass resin, but jello-ish or better.

It CANNOT go back into solution by changing temperature (within reason) or adding more water.

Winner gets a case at FF09.