upgrades around 7800gtx

stutters

i've got a gtx 7800 that i'd like to salvage. i need to add a psu to this list, but any comments or recommendations? i'm trying to stay under $400.

4gb ram - $90

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit

775 board - $77

Foxconn G43MX-K LGA 775 Intel G43 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

c2d 1333 fsb - $165

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

You could always save money by going with the e2180 for the CPU and OC it to 3.0ghz. I think they're like $70 or so, and it should give you similar performance if not a little better than the above @ 2.66. And if you went with ddr2 800 you could save a little money there too I bet.

RAM

CPU

PSU - 650w Antec

In case you wanted to save some more money...

Edited by DarkArchon

It's the same one that Bushwack has (or it's a little better, i forget). It performs almost the same clock for clock with my 8400 at the same speeds according to 3dmark06, and he's been playing gpu intensive games, which it's handled fine. I think it'll only cost you negative amounts of $$$ compared to that other one. I almost wish I had bought it instead of the 8400 in all honesty.

I seem to remember hearing it's based on the same architecture as the c2d's, but dont quote me on that.

Benchies for the 2160, which isn't quite as good as the 2180. I think it'll do you just fine.

Edited by DarkArchon

No, do not downgrade to that other chip. What you have now is fine and will most likely overclock with very little work. As it is now it is way better than the one recommended above. Actually, I have to ask that if you do not know really what you are talking about, it would be best to avoid giving out bad advise resulting in the tinkled off person that took that advise.

If what you are looking to do is upgrade your video card, then you should check out my thread here: http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...showtopic=37207

Other than that, I do not see a reason to upgrade really at all beyond the video card. The rest of the system is decent and an upgrade of a new CPU, mobo, and Ram would be little to nothing for a performance boost and would only waste your money. That is my opinion though. Others may disagree.

no, i only have the gpu, the 512mb 7800 gtx. i'd like to build around that with components i linked to (cpu, mobo, ram and psu) for around or less than $400

OH, I misunderstood what you asked for. Past my bedtime. Sorry about that.

I would still not go with that other CPU as it is not very good for a gaming setup IMO. I am not overly sure about the mobo and Cujo is typically more up to speed in that area than I am. Wait for his response on that. The CPU and RAM are good though. Maybe get a slightly better CPU if you can swing it like the 8400 instead of the 8200.

(edited)

i've got that ram in my system right now so i couldn't possibly recommend better.

if you're not going to oc then that cpu and mobo should be fine. if you are cool with ocing i'd bump to a p45 board and drop the cpu to something lesser like the new e5200. yes only 2mb cache but if it hits 3.6ghz that won't matter much. it's got a 12.5 multi so by simply changing the fsb to 266 from 200 you'll be running 3.3ghz and any chip should do that at stock volts.

for whoever said the fsb might hurt him. low fsb chips are actually better for ocing as the typically have higher multipliers. as most mobos support 333fsb now going from 200 to 333 should exhaust most cpus long before the mobo is even pushed past stock.

oh and i just noticed, if you don't plan to oc, the e8400 is like 3 bucks more than the e8200.

Edited by Cujo

ZD, I was just showing him what could potentially save him ~$120 since he mentioned he didn't want to spend much. If he's got a 7800GTX to game on, he's not going to be playing crysis @ 1920x1200 with all settings on high. An OC'd 2180 would keep up to his gpu just fine. The gpu will be the bottleneck. Of course it's not as good as the 8400, but for the price ratio I'd say it's worth the save. That's just my opinion though, based on bush's computer and a couple reviews I read.

Anywho, I'm sure whatever you end up getting sj, it'll be much better than just having a gpu :)

As for OC'ing, if the chip will do it on stock volts easy (like mine went from 3.0 to 3.6 on stock) then it's just a matter of finding where you put the fsb and just change the number. That's about it. Easy as pie :D

Edited by DarkArchon

ocing is simple on those chips. as i said you should at least be able to get 266 fsb out of it. all you have to do in bios is increase your fsb from stock 200 to 266. no other changes should be required.

gewd thread..

I'm in the same boat as sj.. going to be looking to upgrade the same components around a 7900.. as source is really the only game I play (once in a blue moon at this point) and it's very cpu heavy to begin with...

probably going to have to wait til after a ring purchase as well.. i'll bump the thread in a couple years

GC Alumni
gewd thread..

I'm in the same boat as sj.. going to be looking to upgrade the same components around a 7900.. as source is really the only game I play (once in a blue moon at this point) and it's very cpu heavy to begin with...

probably going to have to wait til after a ring purchase as well.. i'll bump the thread in a couple years

ttyl!

GC Alumni

im a bus-nub.

keeping in mind the 7800gtx is a definite component, what are the pros and cons of going between an 800 fsb (e5200) and a 1333 fsb on the processor? is 800 going to push the processor to capacity? oh, and last nub question, is the ram speed (1033 in the g.skill) affected by the board's bus speed, or is the board's bus speed only an influence on the cpu?

see why i went mac?

:D

I dont think you'll notice any real-world difference between the ddr2-800 ram and the faster stuff. I'd definitely save your money there. They're often linked with the fsb in some ratio though, but generally the the bus speed will only affect your cpu. You can change the ratio, and all of the boards I've used will let you set your ram speed manually.

If you're just gonna play CS:S then the e5200 would be fine I'm sure. You can still OC it to 3ghz anyway.

Edited by DarkArchon

Yeah, I know I'm not clear :(

The ram and bus are working together, so they're linked within certain ratios, like 1:1, 2:3, or whatever it may be. My fsb is normally set to 333 with a multiplier of 9, giving me 3.0ghz. I can also set it to 378*9=3.4ghz. As you go up with the cpu that way, to stay in a 1:1 ratio with the ram, your ram has to go faster too. So once it starts getting too fast for the ram, you can just change the ratio to drop it back down to near default speeds (or, on the evga boards at least, you select "unlink" so that it doesnt run with any ratio and you set the speeds independently).

I hope I'm a little clearer. Either way, you dont have to worry about the 800fsb if you're just going to be playing CS:S.

Edited by DarkArchon

1066 ram can definitely provide improvement in source. i should do some benchmarks. probably not enough difference to make it worth an extra 40-50 bucks but if it's only 20 more then i'd pull the trigger. obvisouly, i did.

as far as bus speed on the processor, if you'll be overclocking then it's irrelevant. though either way on these comparably lower end cpus you probably won't see a big difference. i would stick with the 5200 for the higher multi. you won't even have to push the motherboard to oc that bad boy. if you go with the 1333 (333fsb) cpu then you'll be overclocking the mobo straight away.