Got a vista question

Shazz

Ok, first off I need you to see this link. Don't worry...it has pictures for the ones that like to read in the children's section. :P

Anyway, I am running Vista on my laptop. And I truly hate/despise/wanna throw this machine! Whenever I try to change or install a program, Vista tells me that I need the Administrator's permission to do it. I own this thing....I am the Admin!!! so tickarooed (made a new word)

Anyway, I ran across this site and was wondering if this was a fix, or a No No!

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_turn_off_user_...dows_vista.html

Let me explain how simple this is. I have a password agent program. A simple little program that stores all of my username and passwords. But when I try to put a new username into it...Vista takes over and tells me that I need to be the Admin.??!! This isn't even a Microsoft program. I wish MC would stay out of my business.

Someone??!! Or I am sending Vista to the gators!

I'm not sure how your password program fits into this, but here's how you turn UAC (User Account Control, aka "Cancel or Allow"):

Control Panel => User Accounts => Turn User Account Control On or Off (these assume you use "Classic View" in the Control Panel)

That should disable the message that pops up every time you try to install something or access your computer settings. It's mainly for security purposes to keep your comp from getting hijacked and your settings borked, but I know a few people around these forums have turned it off with no problems. You should be fine.

For what it's worth, it is kinda annoying, but once you get everything set up the first time you don't bump into it that often :shrug03: I've been using Vista on this laptop since it launched and rarely ever see UAC anymore unless I'm installing something new.

All of that is assuming that you're just getting the pop up message that you can click and still proceed with what you were trying to do. IF you are being barred from installing, etc, then it's treating you as a non-administrator. I'm guessing that's not your problem though because you would be able to do next to nothing without admin permissions!

Hope that solves your problem!

fwiw, os x has the same type of administrator protection - great for blocking fiances, friends, or randoms from installing new apps without permission.

one man's feature is another man's inconvenience. at least in os x it's intuitive to find and disable :D

I like having it on a little bit for the feeling of security, but I always end up turning it off at some point because it annoys the crap out of me lol... Haven't noticed a negative side effect of having it off yet though