What New Cell Phone Should I Buy?

Brew

What New Cell Phone Should I Buy?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

from two people who have the g1 (and were blackberry and sidekick users before): don't get it.

if you want a mp3 player + cell phone, there's really only one choice. if you like/are used to a blackberry, then that's the obvious choice. if you've never had either, get the iphone ;)

i would use the GPS, camera, internet, and music. i usually never go over 300 min but i have started to text more which seems to be the trend with my cohorts.

so: 40(voice) + 30(data)= 70 dollars a month... yikes

check out the samsung epix if you're not into the all touch phones.

My friend got one and it's really nice touch screen, full qwerty keyboard and optical scroll wheel. WM 6.1

I believe it's $199 with contract.

I do love my iphone though, and it's gotten very easy to txt and type emails on it. the software is smart, so even when i bump the wrong key, I can keep going and it will autocorrect correctly 99% of the time.

+10?

I only see

+5 for 200 txts

+15 for 1500 txts

+20 for unlimited

thru AT&T

I do love my iphone though, and it's gotten very easy to txt and type emails on it. the software is smart, so even when i bump the wrong key, I can keep going and it will autocorrect correctly 99% of the time.

I only see

+10 for 200 txts

+20 for 1500 txts

+30 for unlimited

thru AT&T

not sure where you're getting your info from:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-ser...iphone-info.jsp

:D

I only see

+10 for 200 txts

+20 for 1500 txts

+30 for unlimited

thru AT&T

not sure where you're getting your info from:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-ser...iphone-info.jsp

exactly..

the Storm looks SWEET...more features than you can shake a stick at...

I'd say the GPhone (assuming you're talking about the G1) if it weren't exclusive to T-Mobile. T-Mobile has gotten better with coverage, but they're still nowhere near the big-boys. Then again, if you live in a place with good T-Mobile coverage and you're not planning on traveling much....why not?

assuming at&t...

blackberry $35 data

iphone $30 data

text not included with either

+ whatever voice plan you get:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-ser...phone-plans.jsp

$30 data on Verizon now, not $35.

I'd say the GPhone (assuming you're talking about the G1) if it weren't exclusive to T-Mobile. Then again, if you live in a place with good T-Mobile coverage and you're not planning on traveling much....why not?

from two people who have the g1 (and were blackberry and sidekick users before): don't get it.

I had the HTC tilt and diamond, which were made by the same people as the G1, but used WM6. The phones were nice, but the touch response was a bit off at times. Not sure if it was WM6 being slow or the phone itself. The Tilt was super bulky, but had a full qwerty keyboard that slid out AND a touchscreen, which was nice. The Diamond was much lighter and smaller, but had the onscreen keyboard which took some time to get used to. It also didnt hold up to getting run over by a cab.... ;)

I also had the BB Perl for work and now the BB Curve. the Curve is 1000000 times better then the perl. having the full qwerty again is amazing. Also with GPS, etc it is a very nice phone. I actually only carry my curve now (partly do to the unexpected end to the diamond, and partly due to the fact the the curve rocks). I havent gotten to play with the storm at all, but BB software seems to be more responsive then WM6 for sure. Not sure about android or iphone.

I've been an avid blackberry user for about 4 years now. Went from the 8700 to the curve (skipped the pearl cuz of lack of qwerty). I think its an amazing phone. I personally use it for txting/e-mailing and scheduling. One of its best features is the GPS. I can't tell u how many times i've gone on a trip with no car and the taxi driver had no clue where he was going. It's never failed me in that respect.

My battery life is amazing and the reception is always great due to my provider. I'm kind of sad to see the storm not being offered with my carrier which is canada's largest network/carrier. I'm gonna as my buddy who works at RIM if they'll be going with Rogers any time soon.

The advantage the iphone has right now over the BB is the media. It can stream video while the blackberry cannot. I can't believe they still havn't made a flash player program for the Blackberry. The blackberry is still strugglin in that regard. Pictures are great if you're taking a pic of something close as opposed to far away. The mp3 player is great, probably it's best media feature. It plays super loud on the phone and very clear. The video from what i saw on the bold is low quality, they need to fix it, it's still somewhat pixelated.

For what i need my phone for it's never failed me. I'll stay with blackberry from now on, iphone looks appealing but it's more a media phone than a business oriented phone which I need at the moment. That could change down the road.

thanks for the input guys. i bought the storm yesterday and i like it so far. ill be paying around $80 a month for service (without GPS).

i wonder if i can get away with using "google maps" as my GPS? :huh:

the storm has the tactile response touch keyboard, right? review on that feature would be nice.... :D

i like it because its a confirms what you want on the screen. that being said, I click the screen while on a phone call and you can forget about holding the phone with your shoulder...

Edited by Brew

phone is running android. I almost bought on the other day, then the thought of an 80 dollar monthly bill for 2 years the internet EVERYWHERE I go, and the fact I lose phones every few months hit me and I made the better choice. I'm on the computer 8 hours a day at work, then a couple hours after I get off. Why do I need a phone with the internet? The only thing I can think of is redundancy in case of my connections goes down.

phone is running android. I almost bought on the other day, then the thought of an 80 dollar monthly bill for 2 years the internet EVERYWHERE I go, and the fact I lose phones every few months hit me and I made the better choice. I'm on the computer 8 hours a day at work, then a couple hours after I get off. Why do I need a phone with the internet? The only thing I can think of is redundancy in case of my connections goes down.

Dude, does any of that constitute a coherent thought? :)

Just messing with you...I ordered the Storm for my wife on launch day (they were sold out less than an hour after opening the store and had 100 phones to sell), and will be getting it tomorrow. I'll post up a review once I get some time with it. :)

• 4 weeks later...
thanks for the input guys. i bought the storm yesterday and i like it so far. ill be paying around $80 a month for service (without GPS).

i wonder if i can get away with using "google maps" as my GPS? :huh:

You can get googlemaps and use it for GPS but it's not as good as TeleNav. If you do a lot of travelling I recommened TeleNav, never failed me and i've used it all around Canada and the states.

Glad to hear you got the storm, it looks pretty sweet, i'm hoping it comes to Rogers. I love my curve but the storm look sweet and finally I'll be able to stream videos!, though the new Curve 8900 looks pretty good too!

I'll post up a review once I get some time with it. :)

Let me save you some time:

"...that being said, it still doesn't compare to the iPhone."

(have you used one, yet?)

I played with the Storm, yes--and the only feature it's missing is WiFi....but at least I can cut and paste on one! :)

That is RIM's way of doing things. They release a phone with either GPS or Wifi, but not both. I'm not sure if the bold has both GPS and Wifi but i'm not surprised they did that with the storm.

Edited by Xterminator