CPU Cooler

So I'm running an Intel Q9550 Socket LGA 775, and when I playing CS last night my comp froze and restarted. Well I got back in, played a bit, then checked my CPU temps to find that it was running right around 70 C. It's not overclocked, Voltage at 1.2, and I'm using an Antec P182 case. My mobo is an Asus P5Q Pro.

So i figure I'm gonna buy a 120mm fan as an intake fan in the front, but i also want a new CPU cooler. I found the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. It's fairly inexpensive, and i was wondering if anyone has used one of these? Is it good? Do those pins just go directly into the mobo without any bracket installation?

Please let me know!

I used to have the ocz vendetta 2 cooler on my Q6600 overclocked to 3.2 and temps never rose above 55C on full load on all cores. I recently bought a Q9550 and a True 120 extreme which is lapped. My Q9550 is overclocked to a mild 3.4 @ 1.26V and temps don't go above 40C on load. The True 120 is expensive so if you want to stay on the low end on cost, the OCZ Vendetta 2 is around $50 bucks but the egg has a rebate making it 39.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...%20vendetta%202

I'd recommend using retention bracket so your motherboard won't bow using the push pin clips since the heatsink is slightly heavy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835233019

I'm running the same Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro overclocking a C2D 2160 @ 3.2 and my temps under heavy load are in the high 50's. I picked mine up from ewiz for $22 and worth every penny twice, under normal computing and most games I never hear the cooler. Also doesn't require a back plate.

Thanks for the info guys, but I was hoping to get a cooler that i won;t have to remove the motherboard to install. I really don;t feel like pulling everything out right now.

And yes dweezil i just recently built this comp. I put a tiny dab of AS5 on the CPU, I don't believe its too much or too little, but i haven't looked at it since i put on the heatsink.

So all those heatsinks with brackets require removing the motherboard right?? Ugh I'm no longer looking forward to this...

I have the one preach is selling for $20. I'm sitting at 3.75 ghz w/ 1.25v and 30C idle, 38C tops. (EDIT: I have the ninja, not the one preach is selling. NVM)

Have you even tried 4.0 yet Dark? :shrug03: I still want one of those Wolfdale chips but I may dump my money in getting one of the new Geforce 260 core 216 instead.

I have the one preach is selling for $20. I'm sitting at 3.75 ghz w/ 1.25v and 30C idle, 38C tops. (EDIT: I have the ninja, not the one preach is selling. NVM)

Have you even tried 4.0 yet Dark? :shrug03: I still want one of those Wolfdale chips but I may dump my money in getting one of the new Geforce 260 core 216 instead.

I'm working my way up, thread-stealer! I'm not a totally solid 3.75 yet (pc restarts sometimes), and I have LOTS of school work to do (I'm a teacher! :luxhello: for marking!)

I have the OCZ vendetta as well, the cooler isn't that heavy... so you shouldn't need to put a bracket on the back of the MOBO.

I'm not a morning person so I was thinking something else but meant to say another thing. heh The reason I suggested he use a retention bracket is because the push-pin style on the OCZ Vendetta 2 will cause the motherboard to bow. I didn't want him to end up breaking the motherboard. When I installed it on my Evga 680i, I could see the motherboard was bent and also caused one of the heatsinks to lift up slightly and not make contact with the transistor located above the CPU. I never liked the push-pins either because there wasn't enough pressure between the base of the cooler and my cpu. After I used the retention bracket, my temps dropped a little more than 5 degrees so I didn't mind taking my motherboard out of the case and installing the bracket. :)

first try removing the cooler and then replacing it again. Using a coffee filter or other lintless cloth remove all thermalpaste from cpu and heatsink then apply one small drop to center of cpu and reinstall heatsink. see if this fixes your issue. If not I can make a few recommendations for a cheap deal :).

ok so i went out and bought the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

Now here's where i got mad.

When i went to remove the stock heatsink, i noticed that 2 of the screws that i thought were tightly in place, really werent tightly in place. I friggin checked the heatsink to make sure it was in there but obviously i didnt yank on it hard enough because i guess it wasnt fully on there. I guess i was scared of breaking something so i didnt pull too hard on it.

I'm not returning the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro because well, i wanted a better heatsink/fan anyway. But it still makes me mad when uthink you've checked something but you didn't catch it the first time.

And the update is, idling at 42-45C, under load around 50C.

That's not very good bro. Mine is running at 29 right now and never hits higher than 37 with stock cooling. Now given I'm running an e8400 but with an expensive cooler you should do better than 40 degrees unless it's really hot in your house. I would check those same pins and make sure they are in place. If they are I would suggest getting a better fan on the thing.

I have one of these I'll sell ya for $10 shipped if you want it.

Edited by Preacher

Coretemp gave me wrong readings (like by 9 degrees) so I quit using it. I've been using the asus software that comes with the board (PC probe) which seems much more realistic. That's just me and my 8400 though. Coretemp was fine for when I had the E6600. Maybe coretemp is giving him wrong temperatures? Though, it is a quad, so maybe it's different. I just figured they should be similar... :shrug:

Coretemp gave me wrong readings (like by 9 degrees) so I quit using it. I've been using the asus software that comes with the board (PC probe) which seems much more realistic. That's just me and my 8400 though. Coretemp was fine for when I had the E6600. Maybe coretemp is giving him wrong temperatures? Though, it is a quad, so maybe it's different. I just figured they should be similar... :shrug:

Yeah thats a problem with the C2D chips, no one really knows what they are actually running at and worse on certain mobos. I used the utility that came with my Abit and its the same readings as CoreTemp, theres just a 2 second delay between the two. But the Abit utility is just so fudgin ugly...