Looking for a nice 24 inch monitor

Allanon

Hey all,

I'm looking for a really good 24 inch monitor... I was thinking of going higher but I just don't think I want to yet... and while it will be for mostly gaming... I am hoping to find one that I can hopefully hook up and use as a TV and I want one especially for HD movies.

I've narrowed down to 2 choices

This acer one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824009154

and an LG one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824005113

I would rather go for the Acer one since it's 80 dollars off and a hundred dollars left so I could easily meet my budget for all my hardware this xmas... also it seems to have gotten very good reviews... so here are my questions

Does the Acer monitor look good? If not what about the LG? Do they both have what I am going to need as a gamer, someone who wants to watch HD movies with friends in his dorm at college, as well as maybe if I get a switch or whatever I need to buy to plug it in to use as a TV in my room?

Thanks for all the feedback

Edited by Allanon

I would go with the Acer because if you are using it for HD movies it has two HDMI ports and a VGA. The LG one doesn't have any HDMI, only a DVI and VGA.

This is true... also question... do I need a BlueRay player drive to play HD movies or just to burn them?

that isn't a very good investment for an upgrade unless you have a buyer for the GSX. You're not going to see much of a boost there.

How's that? I'm about to ditch my 8800GT for a geforce 260 core 216. I was thinking he's gonna see a pretty good improvement, what the 8000 series cards are over 2 years old now?

Hey all,

I'm looking for a really good 24 inch monitor... I was thinking of going higher but I just don't think I want to yet... and while it will be for mostly gaming... I am hoping to find one that I can hopefully hook up and use as a TV and I want one especially for HD movies.

I've narrowed down to 2 choices

This acer one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824009154

and an LG one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824005113

I would rather go for the Acer one since it's 80 dollars off and a hundred dollars left so I could easily meet my budget for all my hardware this xmas... also it seems to have gotten very good reviews... so here are my questions

Does the Acer monitor look good? If not what about the LG? Do they both have what I am going to need as a gamer, someone who wants to watch HD movies with friends in his dorm at college, as well as maybe if I get a switch or whatever I need to buy to plug it in to use as a TV in my room?

Thanks for all the feedback

I would hold out for a used (but pristine) Dell...for the price you will pay on craigslist or ebay, the 2407 or 2408 are great values...I've had a lot of large monitors, but these have been the best for price/performance/all-around function.

IMO

dell ftw. 2408 is the way to go. "acer" and "really good" don't add up.

also, i did the same vid card upgrade and it's definitely faster in the newer games. no difference in css obviously.

dell ftw. 2408 is the way to go. "acer" and "really good" don't add up.

also, i did the same vid card upgrade and it's definitely faster in the newer games. no difference in css obviously.

Agreed...I had a WS Acer and it was crap for movies, but just okay for games. Lots of backlight bleed, and the viewing angles were not as advertised.

I saw a Samsung 26" for $399 today on Cybermonday somewheres...prolly not their best either, but better than Acer.

I got my used Dell 2407 for $20 more than the Acer you have linked, and it is miles above it...be patient, and you can find a deal on ebay. Also, those contrast ratios are way overinflated, as there is no standard for contrast and every manufacturer can make up their own benches.

GL

Edited by Tek-Almighty

I saw a lot of negative reviews on their forums when I was buying my monitor. People complaining about one side being all blue and things like that. There was even posts of people who said the tech people told them they should wait for the next revision before buying.