Darkfall

NOFX

I played UO way back in the day. I heard about this game a long time ago and its finally coming out.

Finally a MMO that bases your ability on skill, not class/rank and also has full loot since your gear doesn't play such an important role in how good you are.

Well unclean, I'm saying bye bye to the warhammer account.

http://www.darkfallonline.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bYYT6Wg3Gg

side note:

Anyone interested in my Warhammer account? Level 19 Shadow Warrior on a populated server :)

Edited by .fx

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha your right anon.. I love EVE for how vast of a MMO it is, no instance, etc... 25k ppl per server..

I can just see this as a HUGE UO game. I played UO for years back in high school. UO changed hardcore when EA bought them out. Eventually you needed the best gear to even compete in UO. This took all the fun out of the game. I really dislike searching for the best gear. If you suck at the game, but you do tons of quests have a high rank and a +1000% dmg because of those quests.. you will take out the best player with crappy gear everytime. I really dislike this aspect of any mmo that has came out within the (decade?).

I remember how it was running up on someone out in the middle of nowhere, you don't know how powerful they are or anything because they don't have a rank. This == awesome..

Last I heard Jackie its coming out in January 2009, but dunno if its a sure thing yet... They've been working on Darkfall for years so it should be a decent game when it does come out.... I will be waiting a bit before I start playing this game just because of my experience with other mmos, but if it turns out that people are enjoying the game and keep playing, I will prolly pick this one up right away!

Last I heard Jackie its coming out in January 2009, but dunno if its a sure thing yet... They've been working on Darkfall for years so it should be a decent game when it does come out.... I will be waiting a bit before I start playing this game just because of my experience with other mmos, but if it turns out that people are enjoying the game and keep playing, I will prolly pick this one up right away!

Yeah, the Europeeans are getting it on Janurary 22nd 2009 according to falseipedia. Ours is TBA.

ahh I thought I posted, guess I didn't hit enter. I was really hoping for an eve like server where everyone is on the same server. Eve only has one server and there is about 20-35k ppl on it at any given time(it tells you how many at startup). The trailer said 10k ppl on this game, but I'm hoping they moved to larger. At least they will have a limited number of servers.

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno about you guys, but I'm kind of excited for this game to come out. I was a wee little lad when I heard about Ultima Online from my brother (who didn't play it either because it was p2p).

Thing is, one thing I am worried about when playing this game is how gamers have changed drastically over the years. Griefers are up 5000% compared to back then. My co-worker said that when he played UO, people weren't even interested in the PVP aspect and were out to do their own thing. PVPers made up 5% of the server's population which is what it should be because if it were real life, you'd be hearing about thousands of murders on the news daily.

When this game does hit our shores, who is actually going to play it? Since it's coming out soon in Europe (and TBA for us), I'm sure it'll give us enough time for the game to settle, get a few patches under it's belt, and the bugs stomped on.

(edited)

Jackie, I'm in for sure. I will be playing on the EU servers. There isn't even word if there are going to be NA servers or not. I've been following all the leaks possible and it seems like the server can hold much much more than 10k players, they are just hoping to have an average load of 10k.

And you are totally right about the type of players. If you go to the darkfall forums, everyone there thinks they are going to be running around griefing everyone and it will be nothing but massive PvP. All these turds haven't played anything other than WoW. They are going to be in for a surprise when they actually learn how to play with a skill based system rather than level based. They have no way of telling what other players have what type of skills(other than appearance).

They think they are just going to start the game up and be in for some PvP and greifing ppl, Unless you were a vetern of UO, it took a very long time to get your player up to the ability to actually be able to PvP. I'm thinking these ppl will probably end up quiting hte game because it's not instant gratification. It's a free world you know, there are plenty of things to do other than just run around and PK. If all you do is run around and PK, then you are missing out totally on the rest of the game. I was a Pker in UO, but I also played the game.

I really think they don't understand that if you PK enough ppl that you turn red and anyone(including your own race) gets points for killing you. Being Red in UO was fun, but it put a serious dent in where you could travel and you constantly had people trying to attack you. Once these WoW kids realize this, they won't be PKing like they think they will.

Also, you can only have one character per server.

If anyone is interested in hooking up. I'll be playing Alfar the day the game comes out for EU.. Word of mouth is there will be an open beta in a few days prior to release to test stress the servers. I also hooked up with my old shadowbane guild that is PvP oriented. But if we have enough ppl in the community, I'd be down for starting our guild.

Edited by .fx

well, servers in germany, you will probably have under a 200 ping. They will eventually have the game in stores, but your going to be able to download it from their site. Your PvE should be straight... If you want gold or items, this is what you will have to do.. Remember your going to lose your crap everytime you die, so you don't want to be carrying the best gear with you.

You will have spots in the game where everyone knows is a great place to gain. They will all go there and work together on gaining skill.. If a group of reds or a even one of those players attempts to kill ppl, everyone will jump him... Only thing you need to worry about is running around by yourself as a noob, you will die and lose your stuff.. But you can hear people coming up on you from far away, so you will be able to run outta there.

Playing WoW as a rogue, every time I see actions in the combat log about another player doing anything, I would pop into stealth and either run away if I was obviously no match for them, or kill them without them even knowing what happened, then I'd just go back to whatever I was doing in the area.

I really hope the players into PVP make up a really low chunk of the server. Although... it would be cool to have a group of guys waiting in the woods somewhere ambushing people by themselves acting as bandits or whatever.

It won't be 100% complete choas because the penalty of being RED is harsher than the new school MMOer's are thinking.

For example, in UO, you had 5 character slots.. If you played the game for a couple years and built up quite a bit of wealth, it would be easy to make a red character just for fun.. But making him red right off the start would be a very bad move, you would have nothing, no money and you would be killed on site by everyone.

For Darkfall, you only get one character, so I imagine turning him Red at initial release would seriously hurt you. You wouldn't be able to go anywhere without getting ganked. You couldn't go to the cities or anything.

If anything, the game will be great at first. I am speculating that eventually people will have built their characters up nicely and then decide to go red, but that is still a big step, because you only have one character.

Here is some updated release information that came out today

We know that the community has been speculating and wondering about the Darkfall release for some time. We haven’t replied until now because there were several complex issues to plan and work out. We also needed to get authorization before we could proceed with this official announcement:

Starting on January 22nd there will be a Darkfall trial with the distribution of the release candidate client allowing thousands of players to sample the game for free, help us stress test our servers and test the final features of the game.

It’s important to understand that there are well over 200 thousand applications by players wanting to get into Darkfall. This number makes it unrealistic to distribute the client and to open up our servers to everyone. We’ll try to accommodate as many players as are possible for us to manage at this stage. Even so, the demand exceeds our current capacity. Interest in Darkfall has surpassed all our expectations to the point that we may need to manage our release differently.

The date of the Darkfall European commercial release has been pushed back to February 25th, 2009. A pre-order will be made available mid-February. The pre-orders will get priority for early access to the game. The pre-orders will also get priority for the game launch if we have to go to a staged release. We’ll go to a staged release only in the case we have more demand than we can handle properly, and until we can upgrade our capacity. The pre-orders are necessary so that we can have some measure of the demand.

The reasons for the new release date follow:

At this stage, everything is connected: Hundreds of elements need to come together. When one thing falls behind, everything else tends to follow.

Demand for Darkfall at launch could be much higher than expected. If this is the case, we need a different process to better handle the demand.

Darkfall’s partners (distribution, billing, account management, support, etc.) entered into the game at a late date and we needed more time than expected to integrate properly.

We fell behind on a couple of weeks of beta testing progress and we need to make this time up. We need more playtesting data on several features we haven’t had much chance to test externally.

We’ll use this extra time to implement updates based on tester feedback and also make some enhancements we were saving for after release.

We want as many players as possible in the game before the launch and we haven’t had the chance to stress test our servers with live players yet.

We underestimated the effect the holidays would have on our preparations. While we worked through them, the world around us seemed to stop.

We don’t want to rush things more than needed. An extra month may not seem like a lot of time, but it’s enough to allow us to take care of any compounded delays.

Our hope for Darkfall is to have a good game with a tight player base that we can nurture and steadily build up. Hype surrounding Darkfall is huge right now, despite our best efforts. We’re not sure how this will translate on launch day but we have to make allowances for the possibility that demand could be more than we anticipate.

Announcements will follow with more information on Darkfall pricing, pre-ordering information, North American player access, and system specifications.

The Darkfall Team

(edited)

lol

www.darkfallonline.com its the big picture on the right that says Beta sign-up.

I signed up for the day they started taking apps months ago, so maybe I will get in.

EDIT* You also have to have an account on the forums. My forum account was registered back in 2003, so maybe this will help with the beta also :)

Edited by .fx

• 2 weeks later...

I got into beta yesterday. The file download is 8 gigs and was only downloading around 150kB/s, so it took all night. I haven't got to try it out yet, but hopefully will tonight. If you do make it into beta, be careful, there is a NDA saying you won't give out any information.. but I'm sure you can generally say why you like it or don't like it.

Let's see... I overstated my initial impression of the graphics.. they are OK, not top notch.. but the game so far is pretty sweet. Nothing is really known and the devs aren't telling. First person view is awesome.. It's very easy to hide in the game and sneak around. Gear means nothing.. You kill mobs to take their crappy gear and sell to the merchant to get gold. Everyone is playing with newbie weapons because noone can really afford to buy a good sword just to lose it. Although I'm sure once you advance in the game, you will have plenty of money to waste on good weapons to lose.