Retro Server

DirtyBird

Can I ask who decides the map rotation on the Retro server? The current rotation has completely drove the server into the ground. During prime time, you can't find more than eight people on the server on most occasions. If I had a recommendation, it would be to set it to Dust2/Cbble until you get some kind of audience...those are the only maps that retain people.

Also, I would highly recommend removing stats from the server. As far as registration goes, GC is one of the worst and I'm only one of many to think that.

Edited by DirtyBird

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

d2/cbble back and forth would bite.. suggest a 6-8-10 map cycle you'd like to see on retro?

I think must haves with regards to popularity are:

d2

cbble

italy

office

lost temple

mill

inferno

nuke

strike

we lost the chron plugin when we moved to the dedicated server. we could (and should) use the mani map cycles like we were in the long long ago. map rotation suggestions are welcome...

Also, I would highly recommend removing stats from the server. As far as registration goes, GC is one of the worst and I'm only one of many to think that.
afaik, the registration issue was resolved with the server move -- did you know we're on a new dedicated server? there haven't been any forum posts about it, but that's not to say it's not an issue. how recently have you and the other people been having a problem with it?

d2/cbble back and forth would bite.. suggest a 6-8-10 map cycle you'd like to see on retro?

d2

cbble

italy

office

lost temple

mill

inferno

nuke

strike

season fills it up

I agree with the map rotation, this server used to be filled almost 24/7 except those early morning hours.

The IP change hurt the most

Need to turn it back into a full stock server or at least one or two autosniper guns. My view on this is that a no-scope server was just recently attempted again and no one played on it. Those who complained about autosniper and other sniper guns had their chance with a no-scope server and did not play on it. Those of us who want a stock server or as close to stock as we can get should not have the guns restricted.

d2

cbble

italy

office season

lost temple

mill

inferno

nuke

strike

This looks better to me :)

Shaftiel

It didnt die because we didnt have the autosniper, sorry ZD.

But im sure we can add it back, wasnt supposed to be restricted

just adding season before office and after italy.

I will work with John to get rotating cycles, thats why it got busy earlier before, we would do d2, office, cbble, d2 basically up until 4pm then it would add a few more maps, then at 7/8pm it would go to the prime cycle until 12am, then back to d2, office, cbble, d2

(edited)

I know that you're on a new dedicated server and the registration was great when you first moved. However, ever since stats have been added, the registration has been garbage. The extra load is killing it. I like to play on the server because of the people I know, but I find myself going elsewhere because the registration is so bad.

Also I agree with M2's suggestion:

we would do d2, office, cbble, d2 basically up until 4pm then it would add a few more maps, then at 7/8pm it would go to the prime cycle until 12am, then back to d2, office, cbble, d2
Edited by DirtyBird

yes. the "map voting by members" has mucked things up (if this still even happens). even though people want to play new maps, i would rather play on an old map with a full server, rather than a new map with very few people.

Need to turn it back into a full stock server or at least one or two autosniper guns. My view on this is that a no-scope server was just recently attempted again and no one played on it. Those who complained about autosniper and other sniper guns had their chance with a no-scope server and did not play on it. Those of us who want a stock server or as close to stock as we can get should not have the guns restricted.

ive been playing on a server that has no awp/auto with a full rotation of maps and it usually stays quite full. granted you get 16k and your choice of a AK/M4 at the start of each round by typing "!givemeak" or "!givemem4".

I understand that no scope type of servers are popular with some. With us, they are not. They may have been a few years ago when we had a full no-scope server but we tried that again recently without success. The deal was that there would be a no-scope and then one that is stock. The stock still kept people and no one really played on our no-scope. That doesn't mean we should lock down the stock to an almost no-scope status when the no-scope had no people. Most of us I think prefer to be able to buy any of the weapons, even if their numbers are restricted.

yes. the "map voting by members" has mucked things up (if this still even happens).

Nah ... we haven't map-voted since summer, or pre-summer i don't think. The map-vote usually picked only slightly different sets of maps, but was nice only because of the random good map like villa or rush getting swapped in. Problem with it though was if you got too many of those then the cycle was weak ... e.g. voting doesn't yield a strong cycle.

It might easier for an admin to make a list of good mapsand just modify it slightly every now and then. Like, just swap two diff maps in ... don't need a completely new set of maps every month. If you did vote, just vote on one or two new maps and let the server admin figure out what to swap them with. In reality though, only about 6-10 people voted consistently so I'd say the vote was a fail. My two cents.

I mostly play dm now anyway tho, so what do I care.

I mostly play dm now anyway tho, so what do I care.

yeah, so we've got a dedicated server that's begging to be used. do you want a .gc dm server, and will you play on it until death do you part?

I'll give it a shot. DM would suck with only one person tho, but there don't seem to be a lot of high quality DM servers anymore ... so maybe it'd work. I'm not sure what the correct size is. I have 3 bookmarked, one is 18 (seems a bit small), the other two are 24(+2 reserves) and 27 (which is odd :biglaugha:). Whatever u think would get the best registration. Would absolutely have to have bots. No stats plz.

Oh ... also one of them is running some version that removes all the map junk ... and the lighting is diff ... it reminds me of original CS for some reason. I'm not sure what that is, was shocking the first time I saw it, but now I'm used to it. Any idea what that is? I can get the IP tonite if ya want to look. Maybe it gives a performance boost? I get great registration there as compared to the other DM servers.

Edited by Bewildered