NVidia's GTX 295

Unclean

From the reviews that I've seen, the two cards are pretty much even. Some games have ATI winning and others have Nivida. The performance of them all are almost even across the board and the 4870 x2 is $100 cheaper.

Were these performance previews or reviews that you read?

I'm torn here... the 4870 x2 DOES have an attractive price, but I've never liked ATI's catalyst drivers... always had problems with them, and they're bloatware (is this still the case?). The 295 seems to excel at higher resolutions when you turn on all the eye candy, and there's less power consumption, but then there's the $100 premium for it. Plus the card is just released, so there may be driver issues for awhile.

I would pay the difference for an NVidia card due to the driver issues as well. At one point Microsoft received so many complaints related to ATI video cards that they actually flew their developers in and gave them a free driver development bootcamp since eating the cost on that was worth it in payback on reduced support calls / tickets. Many years ago but still.. I have no love for ATI.

I would pay the difference for an NVidia card due to the driver issues as well. At one point Microsoft received so many complaints related to ATI video cards that they actually flew their developers in and gave them a free driver development bootcamp since eating the cost on that was worth it in payback on reduced support calls / tickets. Many years ago but still.. I have no love for ATI.

Pretty sure it's been opposite of that for a while now...

Unclean, I wont the 4850 and it's fine. I used to hate the ati stuff, but I became a fan after fighting nvidia stuff for years. I guess they're both bad depending on the card/system/game, but I've had less problems with my ati than with the nvidias I've owned. I'd save the $100 :D

Edited by dragonfly

The driver problems that ATI had 6 years ago are no more. People still use that against them but it is no more. I personally like both Nvidia and ATI's drivers but for different reasons. ATI's drivers are built on a .NET foundation so they tend to be bigger downloads than Nvidia's BUT they are updated monthly for bug fixes and improvements. Nvidia can go months without an update for the except of regular beta drivers.

It's like I said though, I like both. If I had a choice between the two right now, I would go with the ATI card due to price/performance ratio.

I am also basing my opinion on reviews and not previews. HardOCP's is pretty in depth.

I'll probably be getting one, but I can't decide between the Phenom II 940 or the i7 920. i7 would be more expensive because of DDR3 ram and needing a 300 dollar mother board. Naturally it seems to be faster though. Probably not worth the 300 dollar difference too me.

Double post! Since I'll be gaming at 1680x1050, will there be a performance difference between a 4870 x2 and 4870 by itself? All the benchmarks seem to be from 19xx and up.

I can't imagine you'll be seeing much of a difference at that resolution..

I'll probably be getting one, but I can't decide between the Phenom II 940 or the i7 920. i7 would be more expensive because of DDR3 ram and needing a 300 dollar mother board. Naturally it seems to be faster though. Probably not worth the 300 dollar difference too me.

Currently, no. Future games that will be more demaning = Yes. Worth it in the end IMO.

Man. So I fired up the computer this morning after hearing about the blizzard warning (wanted to check the weather), and the video cuts out. It comes back in, but then I see these little ^^ artifacts all over both the monitors (it looked like I just lost a game of Space Invaders). I cut the power and rebooted, and they reappeared after a minute or two. I rebooted again, and this time they were showing in the post. This happened after a cold boot, and all cables were/are securely attached.

Oh, great force that destroyed my videocard, please direct me to a good deal on a new videocard as I RMA this broken one.

Man. So I fired up the computer this morning after hearing about the blizzard warning (wanted to check the weather), and the video cuts out. It comes back in, but then I see these little ^^ artifacts all over both the monitors (it looked like I just lost a game of Space Invaders). I cut the power and rebooted, and they reappeared after a minute or two. I rebooted again, and this time they were showing in the post. This happened after a cold boot, and all cables were/are securely attached.

Oh, great force that destroyed my videocard, please direct me to a good deal on a new videocard as I RMA this broken one.

Exactly the same thing that happened to my 8800gtx. So sad, *sniff* I feel your pain

Shaftiel

Um, ok, you can take me off the list now. :D

Exactly the same thing that happened to my 8800gtx. So sad, *sniff* I feel your pain

Shaftiel

These are words I do not want to hear. I have an 8800GTX as well and hope your two incidents are flukes.

I sent a PM to Mohawk about it too - wouldn't seem right to not let him know about this.

And Shaftiel - how'd you go about resolving your issue? Did you RMA it? Did you go through eVGA?

I'm not really trying to get it replaced since I didn't have to buy it in the first place. I ordered it through the IT department, and since I'm friends with the head of IT, he simply added it to the IT budget under 'Other Expenses' heh :). I'm just going to buy a newer replacement card.

Shaftiel

Good news! Turns out that the issue was actually the RAM. I take two sticks out, and it boots fine. I leave them in, and it does that weird artifacting thing and sometimes doesn't boot at all. I'm doing memtest for the other 2 ram sticks now...