Software Problem

Ringadon

Ok, as some people might know I recently upgraded my graphics card from an nVidia GeForce 7300 LE to a GeForce 9600 GT and things have been going great.... or so I though

My problem arises when I attempt to watch a DVD on my computer (something that I used to do quite regularly) The program I use, Sonic CinePlayer, starts up just fine yet if I click on play and wait just a little as if it were attempting to actually play the DVD I get the Blue Screen of Death and an error message that makes absolutely no sense to me. I've written down everything that I think is important but maybe I've missed something

Error message goes something like this

NV4_disp.dll : Address bf07e900 base at bf012000, Date stamp 491b68ff

After I get all this I have to restart my computer and after a while it tells me that I've recovered from a serious problem (well duh, I did get the BSOD) and I have the option of pulling up a further error log and also sending my problem to Microsoft.

I'm stumped as to what I should try at this point. I've tried upgrading my drivers. updating the program that runs my dvds trying a program that I installed off of one of my dvds (same problem by the way) and everything. Watching movies was one of the ways that I stayed sane last semester and I'm not exactly looking forward to not being able to use my computer as a media center like I used to.

Anyone got any suggestions/questions that can help me fix this mess? Please??

Ring

Edited by Ringadon

I'm not a hardware expert, but I tried searching for something similar to your problem.

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f77/nv4_disp...lay-dvd-160848/

It looks like you've done some of the things suggested in that thread already. If all else fails, you could try using a program like VLC or a similar program (maybe you've already done this) to play DVDs and see if you still get a BSOD.

Your problem is very strange. I upgraded from a 7300LE to a 7600GT about 2 and a half years ago and can still play DVDs on my computer. :unsure:

Did you build the comp from scratch or upgrade a Dell or HP? My brother has a HP and he upgraded to a ATI whatever and after that he always got some ati_blahblah.dll error at start up but it didn't seem to affect anything. Now he put a nvidia 7900gto in it and there's error.

Bet it has something to do with the old video card driver, maybe try video diver cleaner?

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Have you tried watching it using VLC?

Have you upgraded anything else (hw or sw wise)? Have you checked nVidia's community forums for similar incidents and possible solutions?

Edited by dwEEziL

Have you upgraded anything else (hw or sw wise)? Have you checked nVidia's community forums for similar incidents and possible solutions?

Just installed and tried VLC worked fine. I did check nVidia's forums etc and got jack squat. I think the problem may have occured because I didn't actually uninstall the old drivers I just overwrote with the new ones. I should probably figure out how to do that in the future. (my new GPU has a different arcitecture from my old one I think)

Just installed and tried VLC worked fine. I did check nVidia's forums etc and got jack squat. I think the problem may have occured because I didn't actually uninstall the old drivers I just overwrote with the new ones. I should probably figure out how to do that in the future. (my new GPU has a different arcitecture from my old one I think)

That's most likely the problem. If you have Windows XP, you go into the Control Panel and go to Add/Remove Programs. You want to uninstall the Nvidia Display Driver. It'll ask you to restart your computer. Once you do, you'll have a very low resolution when you reboot, but that's normal. Install new drivers, and it should set your resolution back to normal (or you can manually set it back to your native resolution), and you shouldn't have a problem. If someone sees a problem with what I've posted, you can correct me; I'm not an expert, but this is how I do it.

Hrm. dweezil says to use VLC, Ringadon uses it. I say use it, Ringadon doesn't. I need to use a mic or something. :biglaugha:

Hrm. dweezil says to use VLC, Ringadon uses it. I say use it, Ringadon doesn't. I need to use a mic or something. :biglaugha:

Actually I had downloaded VLC on your recommendation and just didn't get anything said about it until after dweezle had also spoken up

Ring

multi threading as in...?

Utilizes both cores? Cujo plays the crap out of his videos <MachoMan>YEAH!</MachoMan>

Oh and Ring, I would always use a driver cleaner to remove old GPU drivers before installing new ones, once you get the process down it's a piece of cake

multi threading as in...?

Utilizes both cores? Cujo plays the crap out of his videos <MachoMan>YEAH!</MachoMan>

Oh and Ring, I would always use a driver cleaner to remove old GPU drivers before installing new ones, once you get the process down it's a piece of cake

i love when i wake up and questions asked of me are already answer. thanks mo! :D

media player home cinema here. vlc doesn't do multi threading (i don't think).

How many videos are you watching at once Cujo? I'm just kinda thinking a single core should be enough for video playback and you other cores could be doing other stuff. Also I was watching a movie fullscreen with GOM and my cpu usage bounced between 8-13%. I might give the media home cinema a try.

media player home cinema here. vlc doesn't do multi threading (i don't think).

How many videos are you watching at once Cujo? I'm just kinda thinking a single core should be enough for video playback and you other cores could be doing other stuff. Also I was watching a movie fullscreen with GOM and my cpu usage bounced between 8-13%. I might give the media home cinema a try.

true 1080p videos take a toll on the old cpu, look much better if multiple cores can battle it out